5%
Don't care for cats.
44%

Total votes: 41
werebear

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:53 pm Post

Years ago, when I was sick, someone got me this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Shoulder-Lisa ... 951&sr=1-1

about writers and their cats. It was a good read.

So, today, I'm wondering... how many writers here have cats?

I have two, only due to constrained circumstances. Which is why I don't currently have a dog, since I like them equally well. But they are different experiences, so I was wondering...

How many writers here have cats?
WereBear

A work in progress...

http://wayofcats.com/blog

br
brett

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:13 pm Post

I have a pair. When it's chilly in the house, one of them likes to perch on my chest while I write in my recliner, stealing my body heat. The other demonstrates various relaxation positions and techniques whilst I bang out words to make the money to buy his cat food. Just when I start to appreciate the unjustness of this state of affairs, one or the of them starts purring and I immediately forget what I was resentful ab-- uh, what was I saying again?

St
Studio717

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:47 pm Post

We have a singular ancient Siamese (she's going on twenty). Right now she's stretched out in the front window soaking up sunshine. Later on, she'll morph into Clingy Beast and demand lap for most of the evening.

At dusk we get the *ahem* melodious Siamese reminder that it's supper time.

It's interesting how she's changed over the years (we got her when she was just one year old), but she's still a little sweetheart when she wants to be. :D She'll come into my office later on in the afternoon and snooze in the chair I have (after, of course, the obligatory cuddle with lots of scritches).

:D

antony

Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:11 pm Post

Sorry, can't stand 'em. I'm a dog man (and I have two).
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

ma
matt

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:17 am Post

Two Bengals, slowly tearing this rental townhouse apart.

No, they're not that bad. Just very loud and playful.

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:37 am Post

Two cats here. I've gotten fairly adept at typing with both cat and laptop on my lap, and my wrist used as chin rest. It's only when the cat uses the mousepad as a chin rest, or shoves his face under my moving fingers to insist on a scratch, that it gets awkward.

AndreasE

Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:36 am Post

Neither cats nor dogs. No animals at all.

ha
halfbaked

Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:06 pm Post

Werebear,

You left out the possibility that want but cannot have one. My son is very allergic to cats so.... no cats.

Iain
Moderation is for monks, enjoy your passions! - R.A. Heinlein

alexwein

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:15 pm Post

Like cats but am allergic. I much prefer dogs anyway. I've loved dogs since before I could say the word 'dog' (i.e., when I was very little) and have had them all my life. Cats are nice and I like them fine, but I would only want a cat that acted like a dog! :)
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:45 pm Post

I like dogs, but I can`t have one, because the cat won`t let me. I`m sure she thinks she is a dog. I once watched her chase a pair of foxes from the back garden and another time, she launched herself at a lone fox, and wrestled it to the ground, before it escaped over the garden fence. It`s not as though she`s a big cat, she isn`t, and, she`s quite timid. She also follows me around, just like a dog.
Experts say cats don`t respond to the human voice the way dogs do, they don`t understand words like dogs. Well my cat has a far greater grasp of the English language than I have and a range of facial expressions that leave nothing to the imagination.
And just like some of you, my lap doesn't belong to me, once I`ve sat down.

Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ja
janra

Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:21 pm Post

"everybody" says that cats are aloof and can't be trained and don't understand human voice and don't want human contact. I say those people have never tried.

If you get a cat then ignore it because you assume the above is true, of course it's going to end up aloof, shy, and untrained.

One of my cats walks on a leash and will roll over for a treat, both sit for their dinner and understand some commands. They greet strangers with curiosity and befriend them quickly. Some people call that "acting like a dog"; I say they are simply well-socialized cats.

kewms

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:24 pm Post

What janra said. Our cats are very affectionate with us and greet us at the door when we get home. They are a little shy around strangers, but very friendly once they realize someone is safe. (As opposed to contractors who make scary crashing noises.)

The difference between cats and dogs, IMO, is that cats are inherently independent hunters, not part of a pack. They appreciate and reciprocate affection, but it has to be on their own terms.

Katherine

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:43 pm Post

Cats... animals generally... yuck! If I wanted to look after more living beings, I'd have more babies or become a school teacher! :-)

Typo

Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:14 pm Post

Siren wrote:If I wanted to look after more living beings, I'd have more babies

Yes, that's my point, too. With one kid here and the next one coming I wouldn't want another thing crawling on the floor - although I grew up with lots of cats and would really like to have some again ... sometime.

No dogs for me. Never.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:10 pm Post

Of course you all know what they say about cats, don`t you?
Dogs treat you like one of the family, whereas cats treat you like one of the staff!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.