The Jane Austin Book Club

arashi

Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:01 am Post

I just came across the trailer for a new movie called "The Jane Austin Book Club" that opens in the US in September. It looks as if a small group of attractive women gather to discuss Jane Austin, but what transpires is more a romantic comedy than a semi-formal discussion of English literature.

What caught my attention is that Maria Bello is one of the stars. I am a fan of hers not so much because she is beautiful, but because she made it big rather late in life for a female actress, late 30s. Her big break came in starring in "The Cooler."

Here's the link to the trailer:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809796445/video/3241399/

arashi
Everybody is in his own dream. The discrepancies that exist between the dreams are the problem. — Kodo Sawaki

AJ
AJ

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:25 am Post

I love Karen Joy Fowler, but my spidersense is tingling like this movie is going to ditch the writing in favour of ultimate chick-flickery - cute stubbly hunks and lonely pretty women in flower prints and chunky knit sweaters.
"Writers are troublemakers. A psychotherapist tries to relieve stress, strain, and pressure. Writers are not psychotherapists. Their job is to give readers stress, strain, and pressure." - Sol Stein

cr
crimewriter

Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:30 am Post

Glad to see from the link to the trailer that it's actually 'Jane Austen'. :shock:

cw
Some quiet night when you've shirked your work because of fatigue or distraction, open a window of your house and listen. Do you hear that distant clicking sound? That's one of your competitors, pecking away at his keyboard in Paris or London or Erie, PA

arashi

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:22 pm Post

crimewriter wrote:Glad to see from the link to the trailer that it's actually 'Jane Austen'. :shock:

Me too!!!!!

arashi
Everybody is in his own dream. The discrepancies that exist between the dreams are the problem. — Kodo Sawaki