And the Iphone is as good as I thought.

Ma
Maria

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:49 pm Post

arashi wrote:...This is bad news, I suppose, for those of you who vilify the mobile phone industry and the role it plays in leading the human race to ultimate destruction.

arashi

You exactly missed the nail. Never mind, botchan arashi...
:wink:

Maria

St
Studio717

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:15 pm Post

I'm still looking forward to the iPhone review AND I'm impatient for mine to arrive. :P Apple Store email says it's on track for shipping on the 13th.

Harry Potter movie day! :lol: Something to keep my mind off the damn tracking widget.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:59 pm Post

arashi my friend ,
do you ever sit on the edge of a crater, on the moon and look at Earth and think to yourself how beautiful it looks from here. I do, constantly. It`s the same as taking a good few steps back from the easel You see a much broader picture; you see what`s needed, what isn`t.

As a kid growing up in Manchester, in the 40s 50s I lived in a terraced house, with two rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs. No bathroom, no hot and cold running water, just cold. The toilet was a lean-to outside. That`s where I learnt to sit on the Moon, by siting on the toilet, the Moon was always visible (clouds permitting of course), I used to try and imagine what I, sat on the loo with my head popping out of the door and my immediate environs would look like. Of course you don`t just see a totally different picture, than the one from your own perspective you see a much bigger one as well.

At bath time, it took an hour to fill a tin bath, with the aid of a kettle or two, one on a gas stove and one over a coal fire.

It certainly doesn`t take an hour to fill the bath these days. We`ve progressed in leaps and bounds and that progress has brought us to the stage where we are now wondering `How long before `all` not just some of the reservoirs run dry. Which nation will be the first to wage war on a neighbor, just to gain access for its people, to something that, not many years ago would have been deemed to be inexhaustible; water. I`m not talking about that which we refer to as the `Third World` , they`re already picking up the tab or our fuck ups, and have been for a while, we all know that. I`m talking about us.

Has this state of affairs come about because of our heedless pursuit of the hedonistic, fuck you jack!, I`m OK ; gi me! gi me! gi me! I want I want ! must have, must have!, way of life?

God knows I don`t want to go back to the tin bath any more than I want carry round a shot gun because I`ve got water and some poor bastard down the road hasn`t .

But, I think I would like to go back, with the benefit of hindsight, to just before we, as a race, became criminally blasé about the consequences of our actions for others as well as ourselves, and see where and how we screwed up and how we put it right.

For those who, as you put it, vilify the cell phone, it may be that, that vilification actually covers a much broader spectrum, one in which the mobile is nothing more than a microscopic fiber in a tiny piece of thread woven into the warp or weft of the tapestry of Life, depicting a not too rosy future.
Come and sit on the edge of that crater with me arashi and bring along a few influential friends, and who knows, we may see as we look down on the much, much bigger picture, just whether the adulation and vilification is actually justified or not. Who knows ashari, you could be saying, `Look I told you! you bunch of miserable old farts nothing wrong with the iPhone and its ilk; or you could be saying ,`I don`t like the look of that! I don`t like where that`s going etc. etc.

My take on this, for what it`s worth, is that: as a race, we need to radically overhaul the mechanism we use to formulate the criteria, by which we judge our standards and values. We need a massive realignment of our priorities. We need to create a society where the meeting of mankind's needs is of paramount importance, rather than pandering to its greed, desires and inconsequential fantasies and whimsies.

There`s a myriad threads to this thread and a myriad to each of those and each one`s as valid as another to someone or other. It could go on for ever. You have to sit on the Moon to see them all.

Good Night or Good Morning where ever you are.
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:15 am Post

vic-k wrote:PS the Director said hello and to tell you, If you`re a ,"Simple minded woman", he`s sane. We both know he`s a mad as a lolloping March Hare!

Ha, funny. Yes, he seems a bit cracked, but in the best possible way!
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

arashi

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:01 am Post

vic-k wrote:For those who, as you put it, vilify the cell phone, it may be that, that vilification actually covers a much broader spectrum, one in which the mobile is nothing more than a microscopic fiber in a tiny piece of thread woven into the warp or weft of the tapestry of Life, depicting a not too rosy future.

Vic, if you fall into the camp that vilifies the cell phone industry and the role it plays in leading the human race to ultimate destruction, then I can understand why your post contained such a dire warning. Perhaps you are already taking action in your community to convince others of how cell phone usage hastens our downward spiral into oblivion. You should feel optimistic—other protest groups have succeeded. For example, regarding conservation, citizens have saved redwoods and wetlands here in the US. And I think there has been some progress in saving whales and porpoises from the world-wide whaling industry, although I’m not sure if the Japanese whaling industry is cooperating.

Starting in 2008 it will be illegal to operate a cell phone with your hands while driving in California. That's not much, but I suppose it is a start.

arashi
Everybody is in his own dream. The discrepancies that exist between the dreams are the problem. — Kodo Sawaki

vic-k

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:00 am Post

arashi my friend,
You didn`t answer my question.
Do you ever sit on the Moon?

Take care
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

AJ
AJ

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:13 am Post

For those who are tired of the combination "I" and "Phone", or indeed modern technology itself, take a look at the revolutionary new steam-powered satellite phone for pirates - the rPhone.
"Writers are troublemakers. A psychotherapist tries to relieve stress, strain, and pressure. Writers are not psychotherapists. Their job is to give readers stress, strain, and pressure." - Sol Stein

vic-k

Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:25 am Post

AJ mon ami,
I`m getting one!!!!
???? ugh!!! . AJ, does it work on the Moon?
vic

Kh
Khadrelt

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:43 pm Post

Juddbert wrote:It's BUNGEE jumping! :wink:

My apologies! I've spent too much time playing Marathon, Myth, Oni, and Halo, which were made by the game company Bungie. The spelling must've rubbed off on me.
And that, my Liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.

werebear

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:34 pm Post

I enjoy gadgets, so those close to me are laying bets on how soon I'll justify the purchase... but I really don't know if I will. AT&T is a big minus, and there's the fact that when you have bundled all your accessories into one machine, and it goes down... you are much more helpless than you were if you spread the risk, so to speak.

What Amber is legitimately complaining about is part of the erosion of what might be considered private vs public spaces; I don't want to have a conversation or display my underwear in public, but there are many people who feel that this is not remarkable at all.

Cavorting about as though one is alone, when one is not, is inherently rude.
WereBear

A work in progress...

http://wayofcats.com/blog

vic-k

Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:48 am Post

Good morning werebear
Two words in your post stand out like flashing beacons: enjoy and helpless.

What is inherently sad about this topic, (at least for me it is), is that, as a human being, possessed of no ill will towards my fellow humans, I want to be able to bask in the warmth of the excitement in anticipation, of, and undoubted pleasure, in, wmarcy`s and your acquisition of said iPhone. 10% of me would be saying, "Go on! give us a go! Just let me `ave a look." etc. There in lies the rub. When celebrating its arrival, 90% of me is asking myself: at what cost to others, `this arriving`.

Maria isn`t on her own when she voices her concerns for the people trapped within the strongly evidenced danger zones , consequential to close proximity to radiation, from the masts.

Reported cases of phone companies tempting cash strapped schools, with multiples of thousands of £`s, $`s, etc.etc. to let them erect mast on school property, should make us want to puke, en masse, but, sadly it doesn`t any more.

What is scarier still, for me, in your post, is your choice of the word, `helpless`. You don`t have to put all your eggs in the one basket to be `helpless`, my friend, as you yourself seem to infer, but werebear, just how much in hock to technology do you think we`ve become. It`s enough to scare the crap out of me.

I don`t think Amber cares that much about the dickheads , so far up their own arses that they don`t care who they annoy with their unwanted intrusions into other peoples space. I think what she feels is encapsulated within:

What is this life if full of care
We have no time to stand and stare?
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep, or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this, if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

William Henry Davies 1871 - 1940

Take care ,and, if you do `Acquire` enjoy!!!!

Vic

AJ
AJ

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:30 am Post

No sooner were there printing presses rolling than there were professors trying to shut them down and writers scribbling about the evils of printing. The Sorbonne even applied to the Crown to have the presses stopped. Technology changes; people don't.
"Writers are troublemakers. A psychotherapist tries to relieve stress, strain, and pressure. Writers are not psychotherapists. Their job is to give readers stress, strain, and pressure." - Sol Stein

Ah
Ahab

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:41 am Post

[quote="vic-k"]Good morning werebear
You don`t have to put all your eggs in the one basket to be `helpless`, my friend, as you yourself seem to infer, but werebear, just how much in hock to technology do you think we`ve become. It`s enough to scare the crap out of me.

I don`t think Amber cares that much about the dickheads , so far up their own arses that they don`t care who they annoy with their unwanted intrusions into other peoples space."

Does anyone else find it ironic that a discussion about the horrors of onrushing unbridled ubiquitous technology is taking place among people scattered across the globe communicating via computers so powerful and compact that 40 years ago their very existence could not be imagined?

As for the dickheads, they have always been with us, as I read the Western literary canon, and are unlikely to go away any time soon--iPhone equipped or not. I often see people getting cellphone calls in public places, and either pushing the button to shunt the caller to voice mail or heading off to a quiet corner to conduct their private business in private. I see this at least as often as I see airheads chattering loudly about nothing, but unlike the airheads the mannerly discreet are not noticeable.

You don't notice automobiles driving by these days, so ubiquitous have they become, but you do notice the ones zooming along with loud mufflers and screeching tires and subwoofers dopplering the bass clef of music you're glad not to recognize. Just as, several centuries ago, you didn't see all those horses endlessly clopping by, but you did notice Lord Titwittler racing helterskelter through flocks of someone else's sheep and children in his fast new fly, and wished him dead.

Whatever the techology, dickheads will find a way to annoy the rest of us with it (have you cleaned out your email Spam box today?). But it isn't the technology that drives this process; it's the ubiquity of dickheads.

xiamenese

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:04 pm Post

Ahab wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic that a discussion about the horrors of onrushing unbridled ubiquitous technology is taking place among people scattered across the globe communicating via computers so powerful and compact that 40 years ago their very existence could not be imagined?

Yes, I do ...
Ahab wrote:As for the dickheads, they have always been with us ...
<snip>
Whatever the techology, dickheads will find a way to annoy the rest of us with it (have you cleaned out your email Spam box today?). But it isn't the technology that drives this process; it's the ubiquity of dickheads.
One might rewrite the (mis-)quote from the Bible ... "The dickheads are always with us."

As soon as the iPhone was announced my daughter sent me an email asking if I would get one, as while not being a total geek, she knows that I enjoy technology, and that I will always get the what I think to be the best and most suitable for myself ... what I think to be the best, so, for instance, my mobile phone is a Sony Ericsson, not a Nokia. My first phone in the UK was a Nokia, but I've changed ... I much prefer the SE and in fact gave away the high-end Nokia I was awarded here as I hated it.

But on the iPhone, I don't know ... I too am never sure about having all my technology in one box (and I've given away my iPOD mini, as I found I never used it).

Mark

xiamenese

Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:06 pm Post

Ahab wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic that a discussion about the horrors of onrushing unbridled ubiquitous technology is taking place among people scattered across the globe communicating via computers so powerful and compact that 40 years ago their very existence could not be imagined?

Yes, I do ...
Ahab wrote:As for the dickheads, they have always been with us ...
<snip>
One might rewrite the (mis-)quote from the Bible ... "The dickheads are always with us."

As soon as the iPhone was announced my daughter sent me an email asking if I would get one, as while not being a total geek, she knows that I enjoy technology, and that I will always get the what I think to be the best and most suitable for myself ... what I think to be the best, so, for instance, my mobile phone is a Sony Ericsson, not a Nokia. My first phone in the UK was a Nokia, but I've changed ... I much prefer the SE and in fact gave away the high-end Nokia I was awarded here as I hated it.

But on the iPhone, I don't know ... I too am never sure about having all my technology in one box (and I've given away my iPOD mini, as I found I never used it).

Mark