And the Iphone is as good as I thought.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:23 pm Post

Swiped this off wickie:
Unlike anarcho-primitivists, someone labelled a neo-Luddite might not consider technology itself to be evil, though they may believe that it influences human nature in a way that promotes evil actions. However, most commonly neo-Luddites oppose the rapid development of technology in general, or certain technologies in particular, on the grounds that such development's negative effects on individuals, society or the planet outweigh its benefits.
Neo-Luddites may claim that technology is a force that is doing or may do any or all of the following: dehumanise and alienate people; destroy traditional cultures, societies, and family structure; pollute languages; reduce the need for person-to-person contact; alter the very definition of what it means to be human; or damage the evolved life-support systems of the Earth's entire biosphere so gravely as to cause human extinction.

v
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:18 pm Post

Juddbert wrote:You’re right of course Alexandria, but my point was offered in the context of the slight rise in temperature, and the fact that AJ was, quite rightly, somewhat miffed at the derogatory name calling. The value of courtesy is utterly disproportionate to its cost, and its application inherently implies respect. The converse is equally true.

Ah, yes. It's easy to get a bit hot-under-the-collar and dip into getting personal, and disrespectful. I quite agree with your sentiments!
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

vic-k

Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:39 am Post

My Friend AJ,
`tis with a much lighter heart and frame of mind (after a period of quiet and sober reflection), that I compose this post; in contrast to my last one to you, which was in retaliation to what I, wrongly, perceived, at that time as offensive content, in your post.

My post to you was specifically designed to cause you offense, whereas yours, I accept (without qualification or reservation), was not. You would appear to be a person possessed of a much gentler persuasion and disposition, than I. My ire once raised can be fierce, matched only in its intensity, by my sense of contrition, when misplaced, as now.

My apology extends also, to anyone else who may have been offended by my assault on the boundaries of propriety; courtesy; common decency; tact and diplomacy and most importantly the debasing of other peoples expressed hopes, fears and anxieties contained within the debate.

My thanks must also be extended to our friend jolly old Juddbert for reminding me that: The value of courtesy is utterly disproportionate to its cost, and its application inherently implies respect. The converse is equally true. Lovely, and most appropriate sentiments in this case.

Before I finish I would like to remind you AJ that, if you revisit your last post on the Tarrim mummies thread, We have a date to kick around the pros and cons of whether or not imagination has any effect on the interpretation of evidence.

Once again my apologies to all
Take Care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ha
halfbaked

Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:49 am Post

Hear, hear, Vic.

To step onto the soapbox to offer apology is too often set aside by pride and vanity.

Thank you,
Iain
Moderation is for monks, enjoy your passions! - R.A. Heinlein

da
dafu
Platform: Mac

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:02 am Post

Yah, well, I can see why he dunnit but the after's a better finish.

Dave

vic-k

Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:21 pm Post

Iain
That was very gracious of you, thank you.

Dave
If people understand a little, of what motivates our transgressions, that`s something.

I`ve just spent a pleasant half hour, going through the archives on your web site. I found the wintery cityscapes extremely evocative. For me a picture `works`, if it draws me into it. Those photos certainly did that.

Being sucked into a photo, is the reason I`m of on a six hour journey along The Manchester Ship Canal on Sunday, with camera and eldest daughter.

As a photographer, you may find the Manchester City Records Office`s Manchester Ship Canal Company`s Photo Archive of the navvies building the canal as fascinating and evocative as I did.

Take care
vic