Turkey day

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:28 pm Post

I've heard deep fried turkey is tasty, but it's generally considered bad manners to burn down places you don't own. ;)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:25 pm Post

garpu wrote:it's generally considered bad manners to burn down places you don't own.

Yeah...it is over here, too. :?

Hope you're enjoying the day, anyway. :D
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

caseyfreeland
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:24 pm Post

I saw on an insurance commercial that something like 15 homes burned down last year because of people attempting to deep fry their turkeys. While that's a pretty small percentage... it's still a percentage. :D

garpu

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:11 am Post

It was good. Food was consumed. Tomorrow: boil turkey carcass into stock. :)

vic-k

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 am Post

The Jets were robbed...eh?
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

garpu

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:32 pm Post

Well at least they made it on the board... ;)

vic-k

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:26 pm Post

garpu wrote:colcannon (supplied by brother-in-law),
That is a classic Irish recipe for mashed potatoes. You haven't got yourself entangled with an Irish element...have you?! :shock: That was my big mistake... marrying into a: Farming; pedagogic; cattle rustling; EU Agricultural Subsidy abusing Irish family from the North West of Ireland. So, just bear this in mind: a truly wise person learns from other peoples' mistakes.

My future son-in -law (gawd help him; he has been warned...I’ve had a word or two with him...but he takes no notice. But! It’s his neck on the block...so), won £25 betting on the Patriots to win.

Las night, the woman I married (I hesitate to say ‘wife’, for fear of imbuing this post with wildly misleading connotations), ingratiated herself into the small group at my daughter’s house celebrating Thanksgiving. Got herself invited to stay the night (probably rat legged), and turned up here this morning carrying the detritus of Thanksgiving Dinner’s preparation and consumption., e.g., carcass, uncooked potatoes and veg etc.
“Make soup!” was her opening salvo, before disappearing upstairs to prepare herself, mentally and physically, for Retail Therapy at numerous Temples of Mammon.

So! Just like you, I’ve spent the afternoon, rendering a big bag of bones down to the optimum state required to qualify as, ‘Stock’. Which in turn has been incorporated into a really superior (could even be, Über Superior), ‘Chicken&Vegetable’, soup/stew.

So...bon appétit, Princess...bon appétit

Vic

garpu

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:41 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
garpu wrote:colcannon (supplied by brother-in-law),
That is a classic Irish recipe for mashed potatoes. You haven't got yourself entangled with an Irish element...have you?!

Heh, that would be me, but I think I could safely interbreed with said Irish ancestors. ;)

So! Just like you, I’ve spent the afternoon, rendering a big bag of bones down to the optimum state required to qualify as, ‘Stock’. Which in turn has been incorporated into a really superior (could even be, Über Superior), ‘Chicken&Vegetable’, soup/stew.

Cool! How much did you get? Think I got about 20 cups, so some frozen, some to be made into wild rice soup tomorrow, and some to give away, since it's more than we could use, even frozen. Seems like you pay out the nose for wild rice, if you don't live near California or Minnesota.

vic-k

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:19 pm Post

garpu wrote:Cool! How much did you get? About 3 pints. Just enough to make the SuperStewThink I got about 20 cups, so some frozen, some to be made into wild rice soup tomorrow, and some to give away, since it's more than we could use, even frozen. Seems like you pay out the nose for wild rice, if you don't live near California or Minnesota.It can cost an arm and a leg, over here, plus a re-mortguage :( Enjoy it...and ignore the cost. :wink:
vic