And Now For That Latte

Juddbert
Platform: Mac

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 am Post

In truth, I’d prefer an Espresso. Double. The full caffeine hit. Accompanied by a chilled sparkling mineral water. No ice, just a slice of lemon.

I’m taking orders. What's your poison? :D
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.5 on macOS 10.15.6
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:07 pm Post

Mine's an espresso, as well. Double. In fact, make it two double espressos in one larger cup. But skip the side serving of water - I don't like my caffeine diluted.

Ask me again early this evening, and I might have a chilled dry white wine, or a gin and tonic. Then a nice, rich red wine when the food arrives. Then it's back to the espresso, and you might tempt me into a wee dram of some sort to accompany it, since you're kind enough to offer! However, I'm far too lazy to organise all that for myself, so if it's just me and my husband, I'll stick to the white wine and espresso :-)

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:16 pm Post

Judbert
Hello again. My kind of coffee is something of an acquired taste, requiring a great deal of care, and deftness of touch, when mixing the ingredients.

Process: take one pre-warmed heat resistant glass tumbler, into which you insouciantly slosh copious amounts of Jameson Irish Whiskey, whilst paying meticulous attention as to whether or not ,your insouciance has caused you to over fill or under fill. Must be `three fingers` minimum. If it`s over three fingers , well that`s something you`ll just have to learn to live with. Add one slice of lemon (unwaxed variety),and one spoonful of sugar.

Now comes the coffee bit. Boil water in kettle and before making coffee for everyone else, pour boiled water into your tumbler, stir and sip contentedly whilst sitting in your favorite chair with a good book, letting the others make their own coffee. There you have it: a work of art and genius, a bit like Scrivener.

Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:41 pm Post

P.S. Many of my favourite authors appear to have been fuelled by laudanum - no doubt very unpleasant for them, but it seemed to work wonders for their writing. I'm almost tempted to add it to Juddbert's virtual drinks order, by way of experiment... but as laudanum probably isn't available in the UK, and would be distinctly illegal if it was, maybe I won't. Perhaps they might make a legal exception for rather dull and respectable nearly-middle-aged mothers-of-two with writerly inclinations?

I once read that laudanum is still a prescription drug in the US. Are there any laudanum-fuelled writers today? Or do espresso and whiskey fill the creative gap?

Lest you get the wrong impression, I should stress that, being of rather staid and conventional habits, the idea of illicit substances outside the context of 19th century literature is somewhat alien to me, and that my musing is purely hypothetical. :-)

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:56 pm Post

Dear staid and conventional Siren, Hello, what an exquisite pleasure to meet you.

We share a common bond, dear lady. I, in fact, am addicted to a viciously potent brew of Laudanum and Absinth. And I do not mean, the adulterated Absinth that can be purchased legally in the Gin Palaces and back alley hostelries, frequented by the lower orders. Oh no, what I refer to, is the real Absinth; that green goddess, that toyed mercilessly with the minds and souls of the artistic and literary intelligentsia, of the 18th and 19th centuries, before destroying them and casting them aside, like old worn out dish clothes.

My illicit supply, comes courtesy of an inscrutable gentleman of Oriental Extraction, who owns an emporium (in Chinatown at the heart of the Metropolis of Manchester), selling useless tat and ephemera, as a front for his real business; the supplying, to miserable wretches like myself, that, which we so fervently desire. It`s only the regular imbibing of this fiendish concoction that enables me to cope with the vagaries and vicissitudes of modern life. Whilst paradoxically, helping to hasten its sad denouement.

Should our paths ever cross, Sweet Siren, you may call me ...Director
Till then
Adieu.xxxxx

Siren,Hi
This is me now, not him. I got quite a shock as I read your post to Juddbert, I`ve never seen laudanum referred to in exactly that context, ever, and I`m 63. It`s always been Absinth, in its original 19th Century incarnation, that destroy the Literary and Artistic types. So you can imagine what a surprise I received reading your words. The old adage once again proves true. We learn something new everyday.

The above, is a persona I invented, after a visit to my humble abode, by a marauding mob of in-laws, when subsequently emailing my niece, complaining of her family`s visit. I pointed out to the poor girl, that the visit had left me feeling flayed and eviscerated, skeletal in-fact. As a consequence of said visit ,I`d turned to the aforementioned evil potion, seeking succor and comfort and becoming an addict.

Her response was, "So what! I`ve had to put up with them all my life".
The persona by the way is a cross between a Victorian erudite gentleman and the blind Buddhist monk in the TV series `KUNG FU`. I think Grasshopper, the novitiate monk played by David Carradine used to call him `Master`.

Well, I hope I haven`t bored the pants of you. Siren.
Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.