A declining taste in movies??

arashi

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:22 pm Post

John Dodds wrote: I'm confused, unpredictable, irrational, unconventional - and proud of it.

Indeed! I salute you, sir! I just wrote a memo to the Queen extolling your most imposing expression of character. I was informed that the Queen was uncharacteristically impressed and has sent you, in an elegantly wrapped parcel, the perfect recipe for a Rob Roy. If you are not fond of Rob Roys, would you kindly forward the recipe to me?

arashi
Everybody is in his own dream. The discrepancies that exist between the dreams are the problem. — Kodo Sawaki

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:11 am Post

John Dodds wrote:Personally, I like a mixture of art and junk (but good junk, as someone said earlier - blockbusters need to have a bit of quality in something other than the CGI).

For example, I'm happy watching Begman's five-hour epic, FANNY AND ALEXANDER (in Swedish, with English subtitles). And equally happy watching THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. I loved SAW almost as much as GUYS AND DOLLS and MANHATTAN.

Books are the same for me: Dickens is on my bookshelf alongside Stephen King and THE WATCHMEN graphic novel. Poetry by John Donne next next to the SPECTRUM BOOK OF FANTASY ART.

I'm confused, unpredictable, irrational, unconventional - and proud of it.

If somebody likes only one type of thing, I would equate that to a monoculture. No breadth, no variety: stagnation.

Explore. "high art" isn't the only thing out there worth spending time on.

I've found that the most interesting people are the ones who take in a wide variety of (books/music/art/education).

-janra

pink

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:35 am Post

I took my husband to see transformers, and he was quite excited about the prospect. He does like his action flicks!

We walked out of the movie afterwards, and he was disappointed by it. After the initial great effects of the physical tranformation, the rest of the movie was loud and full of the same thing over and over.

I was quite incredulous, as that was exactly what I was expecting from that movie. In that regard it totally lived up to my expectations. But he'd expected something more unique.

I wondered if he'd expected it to be as thrilling to a 37 year old as it had been to an 8 year old.

I absolutely hate movies that expect their cutting edge effects to be enough to make them viable. Starship Troopers was perhaps the worst movie I have ever seen in my life EVER.

But as for my general taste, it's such a mixed pot, but it certainly leans every so slightly towards the more interesting and intricate. I used to love horror books and flicks (I would bury under the covers and read stephen king with a torch until I was too scared to turn the torch off!) But the thought of seeing any of the SAW movies just doesn't appeal.

I have to confess to loving a good old girlie flick like Notting Hill or When Harry met Sally though!

Jo
John Dodds
Platform: Windows

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:41 am Post

Pink - I'm highly critical of horror movies. I go expecting, and hoping for a lot, but often come away disappointed. However, SAW is really excellent, and worth your time.

Also - a confession. I love chick flicks, too. My wife and I went to see HOLIDAY - I think Jack Black is great, and Cameron Diaz is both gorgeous and funny, a winning combination.

Notting Hill - yep, loved that, too.

I wonder if anyone's tried making a chickflick/horror film. Romance and terror and light humour combined. Hmm....off to the word processor and Scrivener for me, right now...

pink

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:17 pm Post

romance and terror I can see married together, but the whole lightness of a chick flick doesn't combine well with the gore of a horror movie.

Although a truly terrifying movie is one that doesn't show you much in terms of the fear or gore factor, but builds up the suspense until you're practically gnawing your own shoulder off in delayed anticipation.

Jo
John Dodds

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:09 pm Post

American Werewolf in London managed romance and terror pretty well. In fact it's the only film I can think of that's achieved that.

I don't think I'm limber enough to gnaw my own shoulder off, though, however gripping the film. I suppose a could gnaw off the shoulder of the person next to me in the cinema instead. Second best, I know.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:05 pm Post

`marriage` and terror (in-laws etc.etc.) that would probably work well
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

pink

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:10 pm Post

How about "So I married an Axe Murderer" ?

(gnawing your neighbour's shoulder off is a win win situation for you, not so good for him)

Jo
John Dodds

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:26 pm Post

Who said it would be a "him"? Man or woman, would depend on who's unlucky enough to be sitting next to me at the time.

PJ
PJS

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:38 pm Post

I'm not so sure about shoulder-gnawing as a win-win situation. I'd have to be stranded in a mountain pass, maybe, with someone whose shoulders were... ah, but I verge into indelicacy.

(Actually, I plunge into it every so often. Now that I'm a DOM, people seem to expect it.)

Phil

Jo
John Dodds

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:40 pm Post

What's a DOM?

pink

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:13 pm Post

Doesn't Own Metalgearsolid?
Depressed Old Man?

PJ
PJS

Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:49 pm Post

Dirty Old Man.

Depressed? Neither literally nor metaphorically nor clinically.

Sorry for the confusion, though. Must be it's an Americanism.

Or maybe it's so old itself that it's obsolescent.

Phil

pink

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:03 pm Post

So... at what point did you technically become a DOM?

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:18 am Post

In all probability, when `the real Eve`, legged it out of Africa, there was a DOM in hot pursuit. Possibly a Phil Sheenan look alike, or a Juddbert, who knows?

Males embark on the lifelong journey towards full DOMhood, around the age of 5,6,7yrs. The genetic trigger is activated, the first time a male child utters the words , “Show me yours and I`ll show you mine.â€
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.