Prometheus

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:43 pm Post

And this is why we should not let you have holidays.

GET BACK TO ADDING THAT BEER DISPENSER!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:18 pm Post

Wock wrote:If Ridley wanted a cult classic there area few things he should have done differently.
(15) Have the only thing survive is a cat armed with a flame thrower and C4

I come with history in that dept.Image...think I should audition? :?
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

Wock

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:16 pm Post

PROCEED
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:37 pm Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Having read everything above with the excpetion of the spoilers, I am HUGELY disappointed. The "Special Edition" of Alien was the first movie I ever bought on VHS. I must have been about 14 at the time, and I persuaded the shop keeper in a different store to go and buy it from the place next door for me. I practically wore that tape out watching it.

So, you can imagine that I have been looking forward to this movie with such eager anticipation. I have studiously avoided watching any trailers and avoided reading any reviews. The last time I did that was when Star Wars Episode 1 was about to come out (look how well that worked out for me!).

So I was heartened - HEARTENED, I TELL YOU! - to see two pages of comments following KB's post on the forum. I thought I'd give it a quick look! I should have known better. Keith never posts reviews of things he likes in this section. It takes a spectacular act of artistic abuse (or Garrett Hedlund) to get him out of the Northern Hemisphere of the forum.

So it seems that once again I've been duped. Suckered. Fallen for it hook line and sinker. Forget studios forgoing writing and relying on CGI. It sounds like they didn't even get that right. This is a prime example of hiding behind a Brand and screw the details. Everyone's heard of it! Of course we'll make millions! Yes, I'm looking at you Terminator 4. Yes, I'm looking at you, Star Wars 1-3. And I'm looking at you, Entire Transformers Series.

Keith, don't worry about things such as coding or design going forward. You've got brand recognition now. Scriv 3.0 should just be a hastily pulled together notepad.exe clone with lots of Scrivener logos and icons added. We will buy it anyway. It turns out we are that stupid.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

pigfender

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:40 pm Post

KB wrote:A foul-mouthed, cross-dressing cat with a flame-thrower acted by Bruce Campbell (the cat, not the flame-thrower, although that might work too) would make a whole lot more narrative sense than much of what I saw last night... In fact, your film sounds quite good. Here, have £85m.

There is a famous cat called Bruce Campbell? Does the human Bruce Campbell know?
Image Image

Wock

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:18 pm Post

Imagine this happening at the airlock in space....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffAl6oCtJNc

Sin
Platform: Mac

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Yes, I'm looking at you Terminator 4. Yes, I'm looking at you, Star Wars 1-3. And I'm looking at you, Entire Transformers Series.

The Matrix 2 -3. Superman 3 -4. Back to the Future 3. Underworld 2 - ?. Halloween 3 - ?. Tron 2. The Ring 2. The Exorcist 2 - ?. Jurassic Park 2 - 3. Every M. Night Shyamalan movie after Unbreakable...

I did like Star Wars 3. Still, it paled in comparison to the originals (I mean, the sequels*).

*I mean, the first three(1).

1. IV, V, VI

pigfender

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:00 pm Post

Sin wrote:
pigfender wrote:Yes, I'm looking at you Terminator 4. Yes, I'm looking at you, Star Wars 1-3. And I'm looking at you, Entire Transformers Series.

The Matrix 2 -3. Superman 3 -4. Back to the Future 3. Underworld 2 - ?. Halloween 3 - ?. Tron 2. The Ring 2. The Exorcist 2 - ?. Jurassic Park 2 - 3. Every M. Night Shyamalan movie after Unbreakable...

I did like Star Wars 3. Still, it paled in comparison to the originals (I mean, the sequels*).

*I mean, the first three(1).

1. IV, V, VI

I'm also looking at you, StarWars episodes 4-6 digitally remastered with different effects and extra scenes editions. Just leave it alone George!
Image Image

Sin

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:17 pm Post

Han shot first!

Wock

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:37 pm Post

Friday the 13th Jason in out space.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:41 pm Post

On Star Wars, I came across an interesting watch order that someone recommended that makes the prequels much more palatable (at least from a presentation of overall plot). The idea is to scrap Lucas' misguided notion that Anakin is the central character and return it to the original notion that Luke is the central character. Watching them in a linear sequence makes a big long and frankly stupid story about Anakin.

First priority: find the original cuts of episodes IV--VI. This is getting increasingly difficult to do. There are "Despecialized Editions" floating around.

As for the rest, read this if you have several hours.

I'd try it myself if I didn't throw all of my Star Wars movies away in a fit of pique some years ago.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:44 pm Post

Alien vs. Predator: Primal Requiem Extinction Hunt Part Six or whatever it is at?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:39 pm Post

pigfender: Maybe I'm just overly precious. I caught the trailers but avoided most reviews before going to see Prometheus, and I've been astounded, reading the reviews since, just how positive they are. Roger Ebert gave it four stars. Mark Kermode, whose opinion I usually respect, rated it 7.5 out of 10. There are some genuinely brilliant visuals, and I keep coming back to it and thinking, "Well, it has left something residual in my mind since I saw it on Monday, so maybe it's not as bad as I thought?" And then I remember all the stupid things the characters did and said, how nothing anyone did had any consequences whatsoever, and realise that the residual thing it has left is a mental turd.

Remember the scene in Alien where Ripley refuses to let the infected John Hurt character back on the ship? And when they get back on board they go mad at her, nearly attack her? How you can see it from both points of view, and the whole scene, short as it is, both progresses the plot and develops the characters? Well - and I'll keep this spoiler-free, don't worry - there is a parallel scene in Prometheus, where one character won't let another back on the ship because of infection. And yet, despite this scene in Prometheus having serious and horrific personal ramifications for one of the characters, there is absolutely no follow up. No consequences. No one gets mad at anybody else; it's just forgotten. It's mental, as though they've all had lobotomies and can't remember what has happened to them from one scene to the next (maybe that is another effect of the magic black mud, the universal plot device). There are two occasions on which one character tries to kill - or causes the death - of another character, and nobody so much as bats an eyelid. They just cut to a later scene where they all chat as though nothing has happened, even though, in one case, the character is still bleeding copiously...

A lot has been made of the plot holes - and they are yawning great things, true - but the main flaw is the characterisation, which is the thing that grounded Alien and raised it above being a simple slasher in space. Damon Lindelof has to take a huge portion of this blame, but you have to wonder that Ridley Scott didn't take one look at the script and demand another rewrite. (Especially since, judging by a couple of recent interviews, it seems as though Scott thought he was making a docudrama...)

*Sigh* And now I've started ranting again. It's only because this is the film I'm been looking forward to the most since Moon. And Moon surpassed my expectations. I'm going to watch Alien and Aliens again this weekend to cleanse myself...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:06 pm Post

Wock wrote:Friday the 13th Jaysen in out space.
Well ...why not? :?
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Foxtrot

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:10 pm Post

I have every intention of watching Prometheus but this subject topic has made me realise that I am just really shallow because I will enjoy it regardless, simply because Noomi Rapace is in it :)