Finally back, in the forums and in the saddle

RobHamm
Platform: Linux

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:22 am Post

For the three or four of you who may have noticed my absence from the Linux forums... Yeah. Sorry. As I put it on my blog, my life kind of exploded. A lot. And just would not stop doing so. Multiple medical and family issues, an impending divorce, financial issues that got so bad at one point that I thought I was going to be living in my car, and... Well, I could go on, but I won't, because of reasons.

Getting some things taken care of, but in the middle of doing so, am going through a shakeup in my bipolar meds, AND the little cockatiel who has been my constant companion and comfort (alliteration unintentional, I swear) through all of this has gone missing. So yeah. It's not you, it's me.

Positive things have happened, too. I wrote a story that made Cat Rambo cry, and that was one of the things I cling to and yell at myself about to get off my pity party and get back to making people cry. Er, in a good way, that is.

I still need to find Sachi (my bird--If you live in Lawrence, KS, I've probably handed you a flyer with her picture and made you listen to stories about her) and take care of a few other things, but I think I can just barely make out a light at the end of the tunnel (and yes, that's a cliche, and I don't care :-P), so hopefully I won't be disappearing again any time soon.
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:10 am Post

Rob,

Sorry to hear things have been rough. Great to have you back. Not surprised Cat loved the story - I really enjoyed it as well!

RobHamm wrote:but I think I can just barely make out a light at the end of the tunnel

In the UK, they deliberately make tunnels with sharp corners at either end. This was because in a straight tunnel horses would see the light at the end, panic and run towards it, often hurting themselves and their riders in the process. The corners before the exits meant the horses just walked steadily and safely in the consistent gloom.

In other words, if at times you can't see the exit, it doesn't mean it isn't close by.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 pm Post

Welcome back on board young fella.

There's a saying on this side of the pond:
It never rains, but it pours, or pisses down, depending, I suppose, on whether or not you are the one doing the quoting, or the one being quoted at. You've been putting up with a lot of crap. Let's hope things are looking up for y'.

Very impressed with the tale. There was a fascinating series on BBC not long ago,about how smart animals are at inter species communicating. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01by4w1
http://tuvalu.santafe.edu/~johnson/articles.chimp.html
Good to see you back Rob. :wink:
take care Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:38 pm Post

Welcome back. Crap happens (apparently, quite often and to a lot of people), so sorry to hear you've been getting more than your fair share lately.

Whether it's the end of the tunnel or not, at least it's light. And making any cat cry is something to be proud of (exhibit a: Fluff and Floss on the forums), but making a Rambo cat cry is taking it to a whole new level. I'm just a teensy bit enormously jealous.

Best wishes, and I hope Sachi returns soon.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Wock

Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:04 pm Post

Welcome back!

Remember you will never be saddled with a burden that you cannot carry.

On a side note being back means you now have plenty of time to procrastinate along with the rest of us on these boards :-)
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:31 pm Post

The Scivenerati are not Cropratinators! You speak for y'self...y' winged wassack!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wock

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:49 pm Post

I donts pro-crass-ten-nate!

I generate other people's ideas.

I forgot to trade mark world peace and patent the internet but oh well... I am not in it for the "Big Money" or gratitude.

I am in it for the....

NO WHAMMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.