Forum access OUT on 1/29/12?

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:02 am Post

Just wondering: I could not access any part of the forum all day Sunday in the USA.
Yet there's no mention today of an outage anywhere on the site.
Tried all of my usual links, and just kept getting 404 and other types of error messages.
Maybe this was just a problem with my provider, or in the northeast USA?
Probably just as well; had much to do and it seems that most msgs lately are from Windows users.

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:27 am Post

I believe (others will correct me if I'm wrong) that the forum is hosted by Dreamhost, and they had a major glitch yesterday. There are lots of angry people posting comments on their site.

Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:27 pm Post

druid wrote:Probably just as well; had much to do and it seems that most msgs lately are from Windows users.
Eeeeasy thur pardner!! Y's'll git young Jaysen all afired up agin!! :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Floss
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:20 pm Post

druid wrote:Probably just as well; had much to do and it seems that most msgs lately are from Windows users.

<yawn>

For a writers forum, we,re not very creative are we
i am happy to give feedback on short passages.

be warned, though. my feedback can be blunt... always well intentioned and aimed at helping you improve, but possibly more honest than you are used to.

as such, i will only chip in if directly invited.

Wock

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:48 pm Post

druid wrote:...had much to do and it seems that most msgs lately are from Windows users.

or linnux/ubuntu atari 2600
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:21 pm Post

mbbntu wrote:I believe (others will correct me if I'm wrong) that the forum is hosted by Dreamhost, and they had a major glitch yesterday. There are lots of angry people posting comments on their site.
Martin.

Martin, thanks for the tip. The latest message there (8:09 am 1/30/12) says:

We’ve investigated the cause of the network outage and determined that a distributed denial of service (DDOS) attack severely impaired a network link between our border and core routers. We have DDOS mitigation systems in place, but given the increase in activity in 2012, we’d already been testing new more powerful systems to implement within the next month. We’ll be accelerating this implementation.

So it's Gremlins, Occupy, or Anonymous at work....or perhaps Floss. :shock:

garpu
Platform: Linux

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:42 pm Post

Wock wrote:
druid wrote:...had much to do and it seems that most msgs lately are from Windows users.

or linnux/ubuntu atari 2600

Don't be dissin' the Atari 2600. Those games were cool. And I played the hell out of "Adventure." Damn bridge getting stuck in a wall...
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:09 pm Post

Yes, this forum is hosted by Dreamhost, so the DDOS would have impacted the forum and the main web site as well.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Sin
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:16 pm Post

I thought you had turned the lights out and hid behind the sofa.

pk
pking36330

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:04 am Post

I thought is was down in Apple fashion meaning that the Scrivener iPad app was about to launch. But I guess I should have known that wasn't right, I haven't even scene the release and invitations to the press conference show up yet. So still waiting (patiently, and all kidding aside, thanks for all you do).

AmberV

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 am Post

:) Not quite yet! We're still figuring out what it will work like. Rest assured there will be fanfare as there was when the Windows version was released.
Ioa Petra'ka

Jaysen

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:20 am Post

Fanfare? How do you do that really? Do we set our clocks to GMT then all get up at release time?

Wait. I don't have an iPad. Never mind.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

AmberV

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:26 am Post

But you have an iPhone. ;) But, since I'm +0800 I'm usually the one holding everyone up!
Ioa Petra'ka

Jaysen

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:34 am Post

I can barely read a textbook on the iPhone (I have a 4s now). I can't imagine trying to type a paper. The mbp13 is frustratingly small to me.

To each his own. Some like OSX. Some like Windows. Some like iOS.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

AmberV

Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:52 am Post

Then there will be no cupcakes for you, alas. Siri might be able to tell you where free ones are being distributed in your area.
Ioa Petra'ka