Apple's future

da
dafu
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:07 am Post

Code: Select all

Dear Pessimist,

Please change your status to Optimist. We do not accept Pessimist communications in this edumacational institooshun. You must submit Form 3po. You must have Optimist status to submit Form 3po. See the Office of Repugnance in the back (on the left) of the Mood Fitness Center for further information.

Uh, kiddo? Your question has no answer. It is reasonable to think that the Apple development culture is not going to keel over in 6 months. It is even more reasonable to think your new Apple system will prove useful over the next 3 years. Therefore, rein in your anxieties and spend your energy properly by sparring with cats flinging Jameson bottles.

Dave

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:36 am Post

Couple of points,

1) Tim had plenty of CEO at Apple experience before Steve even quit let alone left the job as Chair as well.
2) the worst thing a new CEO can do is try to emulate a previous incumbent, no matter how visionary. Tim should stay true to his own vision, whatever that is.

Personally, I'm not worried.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:15 am Post

I have it on very good authority (from another member of the,'Bring Back the Red Lion' picket), that Apple's business plan embraces the continued pushing of all boundaries pertaining to product quality and development, as well as a drastic reduction of prices.
So you's can all relax...sorted!! :wink:
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:59 am Post

Jaysen wrote:KB, do they tell you guys something that says "there is a future here that is more than just maintaining the dumbest common denominator (iOS)"*?

Sadly, the only thing they are telling us is that we have to sandbox our Mac apps like iOS apps by March 1st (for App Store versions), even though no major Apple apps have yet been sandboxed and sandboxing is stilly buggy as all hell on OS X, and currently this is going to result in a Scrivener that can't do external folder sync or external backups to Dropbox or even reopen .scriv projects properly or open its own PDF manual. Not that this is getting my goat or anything. :)
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Wock

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:18 pm Post

Jaysen
http://www.kentucky.com/2012/01/10/2023 ... ng-at.html

What I mean by that is the market implications of just the Idea of Apple making an actual TV (It makes sense as it is a key device in the Living Room).

The biggest pain for Apple right now is the Lodsys Patent Troll fiasco and how iOS developers are a little wary right now. (As are other independent developers on android and other oses as well).

Since Steve came back he has not "invented" anything new. Apple crawled out of "certified doom" years ago on products that had already been around. (mp3 players were already around, all in one computers, rack servers, touch screen phones, phone apps, web based "Markets", online music stores, tablets, ultra slim notebooks.

The difference is Apple made them look sharper, perform smoother, "act better". Each device fell in line with the end result that is usually an apple success. "It Just Works."

Kinda like BASF. "We don't make X. We make X better." :-)

Now Windows 8 is coming out and there is a lot of uncertainty about that. There have been statements made about HTML 5 and Java being Redmonds main focus, restrictions on signature installations on ARM processors, and a few other things that have the WindBlows side kind of confused on direction.

In the end I guess you could say we are going through another "revolutionary" segment in the technology history. Devices and connection speeds are finally getting fast enough to free us from the limitations of the previous generation of devices. Wireless, CloudBased Media, etc. Many changes coming from all kinds of inovators.

As to NeXt magic devic(s)?

I would place money on
(a) A smart Television (42"-55") with built in AirPlay and the ability to run iPad "Apps" as if the tablet was in horizontal viewing (to better fit aspect ratio). A TV that can connect directly to iTunes, play music and video from any iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, or Mac Computer running Lion or greater using nothing more than a AirPlay or the same WiFi connected Network. A device to manage your "cloud". ONe that woudl run Syria as the main interface or remote. A higher end version with maybe a touch screen for conference dispalys and a large wall mounted "iPad" or other advanced uses.

(b) A touch screen interface for high end luxury cars and SUVs. (Think of an iPad in place of your radio) that would be the interface for your car, store your music, play your xml radio, GPS, monitor or set climate settings, seat memory, etc and also have cellular ability to read emails, transcribe text messages (hands free) and of course always update able with iCloud wherever you are so you can view movies (kids in the back or passenger) play games and download new games while driving down the road (vacation!) And all of this is controlled by Syria and developers can develop other "apps" that users might use on the road.

(c) A "Conn" We already have "Mission Control" but imagine a "Conn". One place where you can see all your data, control all your data, manage all your data. Like a voice control big ass TV in your living room. You are not going to work here but rather manage here, control here view the overall personal "Cloud" here. This device could be something like "Apple TV" connected to a "iTV".
The Apple TV would be more of the powerhouse to unlock the iTV features (Like larger on site storage, the ability to attach NAS, central streaming device on site and over the web, home controls (Climate, music, lighting, etc)

:-)

Yeah I know it is a novel, but the ideas are only limited by your own imagination. After all most science originated as science fiction...
The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

Wock

Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:24 pm Post

KB wrote:
Jaysen wrote:KB, do they tell you guys something that says "there is a future here that is more than just maintaining the dumbest common denominator (iOS)"*?

Sadly, the only thing they are telling us is that we have to sandbox our Mac apps like iOS apps by March 1st (for App Store versions), even though no major Apple apps have yet been sandboxed and sandboxing is stilly buggy as all hell on OS X, and currently this is going to result in a Scrivener that can't do external folder sync or external backups to Dropbox or even reopen .scriv projects properly or open its own PDF manual. Not that this is getting my goat or anything. :)

Would Powerbox let you punch through the sandbox?

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:29 pm Post

Powerbox is the most buggy part...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Wock

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:27 pm Post

Ahhhhh

You should put an Easter egg in as a tribute to it.

A hidden splash screen with a cat using a sandbox as a litter box with the codename POWAHBOX!

(Like Photoshops Bleching cat egg in Version 4)

lol

Wock

Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:05 pm Post

I stumbled across this article...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/ ... ishing.ars

Maybe the next big thing is.....

textbooks....

Jaysen

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:32 pm Post

KB wrote:

Wait. You have to sandbox your app, no matter how incomplete, to pass a validation process that would fail due to the incomplete nature of your app? So what does the app store do for you again? Other than skim off the top of your earnings?

Sorry. Not having a good "I love apple" month.

And did anyone point you at the three word entry yet? :P I'm proud of that.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Jaysen

Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:39 pm Post

Wock wrote:I would place money on
(a) A smart Television (42"-55") with built in AirPlay and the ability to run iPad "Apps" as if the tablet was in horizontal viewing (to better fit aspect ratio).

(b) A touch screen interface for high end luxury cars and SUVs. (Think of an iPad in place of your radio)

(c) A "Conn" We already have "Mission Control" but imagine a "Conn".

Yeah I know it is a novel, but the ideas are only limited by your own imagination. After all most science originated as science fiction...

I have those already?

A -- Apple TV rev one. Took some work. but it's there.
B -- 2012 Ford focus with sync and MyFordTouch. Plays my phone, ipod, nav and i don't even have to touch it. If I don't want to.
C -- A+ Seagate Go Flex Home. Yes I did a tad of work but Siri controls it just fine. I'm up to 4 TB of data. All at my fingertips.

As you said it isn't really new, but Steve made it in the context of sex appeal and sellable. I don't see that trend continuing in the future.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Wock

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 am Post

Jaysen wrote:And did anyone point you at the three word entry yet? :P I'm proud of that.

A direct quote from the three word story Time For Another...

Time For Another wrote:Though disoriented Dave disagreed, he declined to model Jaysen's lingerie without fluffy mules.

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:50 am Post

To return, briefly, to topic: Steve J. established Apple University in order to ensure the "DNA" of Apple remained ingrained in the culture. It seems he invested a lot of energy in his last few years to prepare Apple for ongoing success without him. No way of knowing how successful it will be until after a few years, but given his hit rate with other projects and the quality of the people he brought on board, I think the chances are good that AU will have a positive effect. Given also that Apple has an talented, established and stable executive team (including Cook, Ive, Schiller, Mansfield and Forstall) that have been part of all the major decisions in recent years, then I don't think there is any need for doubt about Apple's immediate and mid-term future.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 am Post

The problem you have is simply you like the current products sooo much that you have summit fever. You imagine the only way from here is down and get depressed. I actually see the same problem when we give graduates 5/5 gradings in their year end reviews. (70% of the population gets a 3 grade do a 5 is a big deal)

I'll give you the same advise I give them: "shut up whining and get back to work"
No, hang on. That's not it...
:wink: :D
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Hu
Hugh

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:27 am Post

My advice, for what it's worth: don't hold your breath. Capitalism makes no promises; with management, in particular, history is not a particularly good guide to the future, especially when a strong leader goes. (Soccer in the UK illustrates that well enough.) Things come together for a glorious serendipitous moment, and then they fall apart.

Percy wrote more or less the last word on the subject.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'