Steve Jobs Dead at 56

Sin
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:51 am Post

The world lost a brilliant innovator. You have some big shoes to fill KB.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/06/us-apple-jobs-idUSTRE79472K20111006

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:58 am Post

"I think half the world found out about his death on an Apple device," said Robbie Sokolowsky, 32, an employee for an online marketing company, who lit a candle outside the store.

Hyperbole though it may be, that about says it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Li
Linda

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:27 am Post

iSad. iGrieve. iCrying.

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 am Post

A very great loss. I've been using Macs for twenty years, and wrote my first book on one. Wouldn't want to use anything else. He leaves a remarkable legacy. It's not often that technology is married to visual elegance, classical purity, even.

Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

KB
Site Admin

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:51 am Post

A very sad day. Apple won't be the same without his driving vision, and the saddest thing is that he should have been around for another 20 or 30 years to see where all his innovations lead (and to continue innovating).
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:09 pm Post

Yet another addition to the pantheon of giants, upon whose shoulders you lesser mortals can aspire to stand.
Some would argue that the status of giant, has been attained with the help and talent of many, 'lesser mortals'. True or no, Apple under his leadership have noticeably, raised the bar for both innovators and imitators alike. Twill be interesting to see if they continue to do so.

Sincere condolences to Steve's family and friends.
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

ba
bayamo

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:39 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
"I think half the world found out about his death on an Apple device," said Robbie Sokolowsky, 32, an employee for an online marketing company, who lit a candle outside the store.

I'm one of those that found out on an Apple device...

Linda wrote:iSad. iGrieve. iCrying.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:47 pm Post

I had one chance to meet Steve Jobs, on a visit to NeXT in the early 90s, but he failed to show that day.

On another occasion he was the showman, giving a first demo of a scanner, which sent the crowd wild.

And finally, he gave a talk that I attended: first a slide show, and then a Q & A with the crowd. He was looking to encourage students to apply for jobs at Apple. One remark he made stuck with me:

"I am looking for people who have not only ideas, but the ability to manufacture them. If you don't have a passion for building your ideas, we will never get along."

We may be mourning not only the loss of a colorful individual, but the spirit of daring and freedom that characterized his generation. He was the oddest combination of counter-culture hippy and shrewd entrepreneur; those two types rarely exist in the same person.

You can hear it in this line from his 2005 address at Stanford: "Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose."

So, R.I.P, Steve.

Hu
Hugh

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm Post

He seems to have illustrated rather well the contention that great men are seldom nice men.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:27 pm Post

Neat Jobs interactive from the Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/in ... nteractive
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Wock

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:37 pm Post

The wheel is turning but the hamster is still dead.

caseyfreeland

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:02 pm Post

bayamo wrote:
AmberV wrote:

I'm one of those that found out on an Apple device...

Me too...

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:14 pm Post

Google has put "Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011" beneath the default search form with a simple link to http://www.apple.com. Some things level all the fences (for a spell).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ta
tammycravit

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:18 pm Post

So terribly sad. I've been an Apple user since the days when the Apple IIc was the state-of-the-art in computers, and a customer since the Mac Plus days. So many amazing innovations. Steve was truly a man of tremendous vision, passion, and commitment - qualities I think we can all aspire to.

The best Steve Jobs quote, I think, and one remarkably apropos today, came from his famous 2005 Commencement speech at Stanford. Steve said, in part:

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

That's why I do the things I do, and why I'm working toward generating enough income from the work I love to stop doing the work I don't love.
Tammy Cravit, novelist and photojournalist
"Abuse of Discretion", Tessa Riley #1 (11/2011): Kindle, Smashwords
"Manifest Error", Tessa Riley #2, coming in early 2012
http://www.tammycravit.com/

Ur
Ursula

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:59 am Post

AmberV wrote:Google has put "Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011" beneath the default search form with a simple link to http://www.apple.com. Some things level all the fences (for a spell).

Amazon too.

Me too.