Here we are in Literature and Latte ...

br
brett

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:22 am Post

Well, lest we be accused of turning this into a Portland-centric topic, we should note that Stumptown is gaining a national reputation (click the News link). It's even got its own Wikipedia entry. And you can order it online. And no, I don't work for them or anything. In fact, I curse them for getting me hooked. Curse you, Stumptown! And I'll take a bag of Holler Mountain Blend, please.

Ma
Maria

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:50 am Post

brett wrote:Well, lest we be accused of turning this into a Portland-centric topic, we should note that Stumptown is gaining a national reputation (click the News link). ...

Not here... :D

Maria

br
brett

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:11 am Post

Updating this thread: see today's NY Times for praise of Portland's tea scene. http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/tr ... 8td&emc=td

Typo

Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:30 am Post

Answering the initial question:

xiamenese wrote:What about you? ... What's your preference? :)

I don't give a damn about the kind of coffee, as long as it's black and MUCH! ;)

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:15 pm Post

Hey, Brett! Very cool article. Many thanks for the heads-up!!! I'm for more Portland Scrivener tea experiences any time my fellow Portlanders want to join me!

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

Juddbert

Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:46 pm Post

Milk? No thanks. Not in tea or coffee. Espresso for me, served with a chilled sparkling mineral water. Bliss!
And tea? Well, it’s hard to beat a nice Darjeeling, but I keep that as a treat, drinking rooibos most of the time. My preferred brand is Dragonfly. Sipping one now, as it happens… 8)
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.5 on macOS 10.15.6
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

Hu
Hugh

Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:26 pm Post

brett wrote:Updating this thread: see today's NY Times for praise of Portland's tea scene. http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/tr ... 8td&emc=td

I'm currently enjoying Bill Cameron's novel "Lost Dog". It's set in Portland and he details its coffee scene, its weather (which a character calls "Portland spittle") and the predilection of some its residents to grow large quantities of kale in their front gardens and window-boxes... :wink:

I believe that Bill is a debut-novelist and a Mac-user, though not a Scrivenista. A very assured read so far.

br
brett

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:30 am Post

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll seek the Cameron novel. I haven't read it, but the rest of your description sounds very Portlandish to me.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:20 am Post

Hugh wrote:and the predilection of some its residents to grow large quantities of kale in their front gardens and window-boxes... :wink:

I've heard that people in other parts of the country actually grow their kale in closets and basements with heat lamps instead of just using the sun!

How... unorganic!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Hu
Hugh

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:45 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
Hugh wrote:and the predilection of some its residents to grow large quantities of kale in their front gardens and window-boxes... :wink:

I've heard that people in other parts of the country actually grow their kale in closets and basements with heat lamps instead of just using the sun!

How... unorganic!

Please forgive my wonder. :lol:

On this side of the Atlantic, although I've occasionally seen kale featured as a decorative exotic on TV gardening programmes, it tends to be something that enters our lives very seldom. And then only steamed, with butter. :wink:

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:09 pm Post

My Lady Amber, Princess of Code,
On this side of pond, `tis not the humble Kale we grow in our places of concealment; `tis indeed the mighty SKUNK!

I am Your Slave MyLady
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.