Laptop or Desktop

AJ
AJ

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:47 pm Post

Both. G5 iMac on the desk in the study, HP wireless laptop running Windows in the living room. Plus a Palm Tungsten T3 and my wife's Treo.

The iMac was originally a G3 that my father-in-law gave my wife and me as a hand-me-down when he bought his G4. The G3 got fried in a lightning storm; insurance replaced it with the G5.

The laptop was assigned to my wife when she worked for HP, so she could work from home on the couch. When HP downsized, her boss wrote the laptop off the company books and gave it to her.

I prefer the iMac because it's a fast, easy-to-use, easy-on-the-eye, secure machine with fantastic software available. I like the laptop for the convenience of being able to look something up online without having to get off the couch, but for any serious mobile computing, I rely on my T3 and a wireless keyboard.

In the event of any major crashes, I can take off my shoes and socks and count up to twenty.

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:59 pm Post

Timotheus wrote:But at home I want a large keyboard, a large screen, a large internal memory, a powerful processor unit, and so on. I don't own a car, but if I owned one, it would be a Land Rover or a similar one. The same with computers.

Not me. I like my computers and my cars light and lean. Like the little Toyota Yaris liftback I just purchased. Oh, I love this little car! Goes really well with the 12" iBook and the new 13" MacBook I'll likely purchase next. My large external monitor is plenty large enough if I want a larger view, which I find I don't really use all that much, and my Apple wireless extended keyboard plenty large enough as well and my iBook suits me just fine and a new Intel laptop will be quite fast enough. I used to do a desktop at home and a laptop as well and found it cumbersome and found I hardly used the desktop. I think for my personality, I like being unencumbered and free to roam, which is why I hardly even use my external monitor. I am much to mobile these days.

Different strokes! Thank goodness there are plenty of options to make us all happy!

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

cr
crimewriter

Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:00 pm Post

Oh yes, alexwein. My shiny white 12-inch MacBook goes elegantly into my flame-gold Yaris. Not a cross word between any of us: I love them both!

cw :D
Some quiet night when you've shirked your work because of fatigue or distraction, open a window of your house and listen. Do you hear that distant clicking sound? That's one of your competitors, pecking away at his keyboard in Paris or London or Erie, PA

alexwein

Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:19 pm Post

Flame-gold! Lovely!! Mine is Bayou Blue. After driving a 1987 Corolla for the past 12 years, I'm in heaven!!

Alexandria
-Chuck Close

alexwein

Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:23 pm Post

I didn't see gold as a color option for the Yaris. The Sedan had an olive mist color. Nothing close on the liftback. So how did you find a flame-gold Yaris??
Last edited by alexwein on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chuck Close

cr
crimewriter

Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:00 pm Post

Um, secondhand (I think you call that 'used'). Nearly five years old now. And The Daughter chose the colour -- metallic! -- because it was artistic and so appropriate for a female author. Previous car was a rusty 1987 Ford Fiesta, so you're ahead of me there.

I think we're supposed to be talking about our Macs, BTW. Have to say I'm still fond of my Dell Inspiron 510. I paid for a better screen and extra stuff when I bought it three and a bit years ago. But I don't love it the way I love my Mac. I'm a convert: an unexpected cheque turned up from sales of German translations and I impulse-bought myself a Mac to celebrate.

Then I discovered Scrivener, and the earth moved.

cw :D
Some quiet night when you've shirked your work because of fatigue or distraction, open a window of your house and listen. Do you hear that distant clicking sound? That's one of your competitors, pecking away at his keyboard in Paris or London or Erie, PA

ed
edf
Platform: Linux

Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:36 am Post

This thread's been dead about as long as I've been off in deep-immersion coding.

Anyways for more proof that Apple is far behind in the laptop portability race, check out the Toshiba R500 (or, to a lesser extent, the Sony TZ90).

This one has it all : 1" thick, 1.72 pounds, 6 to 12 hour battery life, and a solid state hard drive. Plus some unexpected extras like spillproof kbd, daylight lcd, moderately ruggedized frame.

I think I've finally found the successor for my aging Sharp.

antony

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:17 am Post

edf wrote:This one has it all : 1" thick, 1.72 pounds, 6 to 12 hour battery life, and a solid state hard drive. Plus some unexpected extras like spillproof kbd, daylight lcd, moderately ruggedized frame.

On the other hand, the lowest spec version costs $2000 but only has a 1GHz processor, 64GB HD, and no optical drive.

They're lovely machines, and I do believe this is the way forward for laptops. But I doubt Apple is particularly concerned about this range.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

ptram

Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:25 pm Post

A couple months ago I tried the small Sony Vaio (at an Apple Center...), and was in love with the form factor. What I didn't like was the not so bright display (compared to the nearby MacBook), the all-plastic case, and how slow it was.

If Apple could make something so small, but in an aluminium case and the same speed as any other MacBook, I would for sure spend 2000€ for it. All considered, it ts the same price I paid for my Pismo (G3/400) in the late early 2001.

Paolo

ed
edf
Platform: Linux

Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:45 pm Post

only has a 1GHz processor, 64GB HD, and no optical drive.

Exactly. No moving parts : nothing to break, longer battery life :)

I was hoping Apple would come up with an ultralight themselves, as I have come to very much enjoy using Scrivener, DT, and Textmate. They don't seem terribly interested, however, and I'm not a big fan of their laptops to begin with.

Complaining about the speed, display, or storage capacity of an ultralight is a bit silly. Their appeal lies in the ability to have a laptop on you at all times, without really noticing it.

I never imagined an ultralight being anything but a complement to a desktop workstation; I rather wish manufacturers would stop giving the impression they were standalone machines, and start refusing to build any sort of optical drive into them.

kewms

Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:37 am Post

edf wrote:Complaining about the speed, display, or storage capacity of an ultralight is a bit silly. Their appeal lies in the ability to have a laptop on you at all times, without really noticing it.

I never imagined an ultralight being anything but a complement to a desktop workstation; I rather wish manufacturers would stop giving the impression they were standalone machines, and start refusing to build any sort of optical drive into them.

It appears that the majority of users don't view such concerns as "silly" at all. If the manufacturers thought there was a big market for such machines, they'd be falling all over themselves to build them. In general, the trend has been the opposite: toward bigger, more powerful desktop replacement laptops.

Personally, I recently switched from a (Windows) laptop to an Apple desktop as my primary machine. I decided I didn't need the portability enough to deal with the tradeoffs.

If an Apple ultralight existed, I'd look at it as a second machine. But no second machine is worth $2K to me.

Katherine

antony

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:56 am Post

edf wrote:Complaining about the speed, display, or storage capacity of an ultralight is a bit silly.

1. Not when you're paying nearly 4x as much as you would for a more powerful machine that's only slightly less portable, it's not. (And almost 2x as much as you would for an Apple laptop.)

2. You specifically referred to Apple being "far behind in the laptop portability race". So make your mind up; is it a laptop, or is it an ultraportable? If the latter, then Apple aren't even in that race. If the former, well, see my previous and above comments.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

werebear

Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:06 pm Post

I think portability is a strong factor for many people. I could have gotten a new Mac laptop for about $400 more than the 12" PowerBook I wound up getting, but for what I want to do, the PowerBook is better.

The relatively small difference in price for a machine that is, after all, a few years old, shows that people do want a smaller laptop, and I think eventually Apple will bring one out again.
WereBear

A work in progress...

http://wayofcats.com/blog

St
Studio717

Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:32 pm Post

Or you could go totally minimalist and get an Alphasmart Neo. :D I have one and 700 hours of battery life is hard to beat. Nice clear screen in all but the dimmest light (and I have a MightyBright light for darkness), a full-sized quiet keyboard... well, it's just a near-perfect writing machine.

I know Neos have been mentioned before, but it seemed to fit in the minimalist shoot-out quite nicely. The little machine works well with all my Macs (at least the ones I've tried so far) and prints via infrared to my little i80 portable printer.

And the biggest boon to getting writing done: no internet!

:lol:

TC
TCole

Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:26 am Post

I've been thinking about a Neo. The screen just seems too small to me. But the no-internet feature is very appealing.

How does it work with Macs exactly?
Hear the voices of Canadian literature at http://www.authorsaloud.com