Laptop or Desktop

alexwein
Platform: Mac

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:25 pm Post

Well, with a display like that, I'd never leave my house. Not with all those projects up and running at the same time. Yikes!

I used to have both a desktop and laptop and now just a laptop. I plug in an external monitor, start up my wireless Apple keyboard and plug in my Mighty Mouse and voila, a desktop, if I so desire one! For those who don't need the power of a tower, and also would like the portability of a laptop, I would think a laptop gives you the best of both worlds.

And both are great if you are a rich archaeologist like Maria. Ha!!

Alexandria
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

Ma
Maria

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:41 pm Post

alexwein wrote:...
And both are great if you are a rich archaeologist like Maria. Ha!!

OK, Indiana Jones is slightly richer :lol:

Best,
Maria

alexwein

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:53 pm Post

Maria wrote:OK, Indiana Jones is slightly richer :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Inspiration is for amateurs...the rest of us just show up.
-Chuck Close
http://alexandriapallas.com

bi
bidmead

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:45 am Post

I don't think I understand the question. Desktop machines sit on desktops -- there is no way I know of that you can use a desktop machine while stretched out on the sofa, which as everyone knows is the correct posture for creative writing (although it makes drinking coffee a little tricky).

--
Chris

ha
halfbaked

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:56 pm Post

Hey Chris,

Having seen my son pre-laptop trying to balance a monitor and keyboard on lap while recumbent, all I can say is your comment brings back memories.

Iain
Moderation is for monks, enjoy your passions! - R.A. Heinlein

werebear

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:52 pm Post

I've found that once people experience a laptop, they have a tendency to prefer that, if they can have only one.

Most people don't need tons of RAM and zippy processors, so the ability to take the laptop out and about becomes very appealing.
WereBear

A work in progress...

http://wayofcats.com/blog

Juddbert

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:56 pm Post

werebear wrote:I've found that once people experience a laptop, they have a tendency to prefer that, if they can have only one.

That's certainly been my experience. The top slot of my 'must have' wish list is reserved for a 15" MacBook Pro running Leopard. Sharing the podium, a 23" Cinema Display, with my Wacom tablet permanently connected. That would leave my beloved PowerBook free to handle just text based work - perfect! I just don't envisage owning a desktop again. Or even a mouse, come to think of it. Keyboard shortcuts cover most of my needs, and the trackpad on my PowerBook is so smooth and responsive that my conversion is complete. It's just so much more intuitive to "stroll the scroll" than drag a truculent rodent around! :wink:
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.5 on macOS 10.15.6
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

ed
edf
Platform: Linux

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:42 am Post

I lived off laptops for 5 years, until I bought a G5 powermac a year and a half ago. I never had realized how much I missed having a desktop until then -- something to leave running and to provide services while i'm in the office or on the road.

I still have my laptop, but it's a linux ultraportable. I don't like the Apple laptops, they are heavy behemoths (with one trackpad button!). Hopefully those rumors of an Apple ultralight will prove true, I really miss Scrivener and DT when travelling or in coffee shops.

Lately I've given up on cross-platform information management and am looking at reviving the use of (gasp!) *paper*.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:54 am Post

Hello edf, hope you are well,
I have a question for you, but you must exercise extreme caution when you answer it, because, if Keith or Amber v are having ` a bad hair day` and you mention another computer manufacturer`s product, you could find all your subsequent posts, infected with lots of marauding, nasty and obnoxious looking mobile smilies.

I think I know what you mean by, a linux ultraportable . Is it a proprietary piece of kit dedicated to the Linux OS, or have you installled Linux on any old laptop. I am intrigued. I may be dropping you right in it by asking: which laptop?

Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:57 pm Post

Vic is evidently unaware of my massively geeky Linux background. :twisted:
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

vic-k

Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:42 pm Post

Dear AV,
Touche. I stand corrected and crave your indulgence.
I stand before you( metaphorically of course), as a man,gifted or cursed with being right about everything, all the time; even when I`m wrong, I`m invariably right. My wife is always screaming at me ,"I hate you, you`re always bloody sodding well right. You make me want to puke".

Now I may be infallible, AV, but I`m not stupid. That`s why I make it a rule, that even if I am 10976.5% certain I`m right, I always allow for that 0.5% chance I could be wrong (I am only human after all), even though I never am. This time I forgot. Sorry friend.

Good night,
Take care
Vic

PS
Please don`t tell Keith, he`ll probably get his grumpy hat on. I hate it when he gets bad tempered.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ed
edf
Platform: Linux

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 pm Post

Re: the ultraight

Obviously it's a bit old now, because the market hasn't offered anything comparable this year or last (except possibly the Sony G1), but when it was new the machine was distributed by the EmperorLinux guys, who were good about selling it to me with Debian on it instead of their usual RedHat distro.

The machine is a Sharp Actius MM20. It's the size of one of those black-n-white covered composition books (my new desired form factor) and weighs a tad under two pounds. A very good box, if you can find one.

Unfortunately Sharp stopped making them, and everything Apple makes is a hulking monstrosity in comparison. When this one dies, I'll be subject to the same plebeian millstones as everyone else ;)

vic-k

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:06 am Post

Hi edf,
Thanks for your reply.

Over here in UK, the country`s littered with small and not so small indie outfits who will put you a PC together to your own unique spec. You can litteraly specify every detail of the build. The only real restraining factor being compatibility.

By the way, I`m not talking about indie chain-stores, I mean really small outfits. And... at a fraction of the price, of the big players. Don`t you have anything like that in NY?

An ULTRALIGHTrunning linux sounds a strangely desirable,`must have`

Anyway, it was nice talking to you. It`s 1am here so I`m off to bed.

Good Night, Take care,

Vic

Ti
Timotheus

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:30 am Post

Never and never again it would come to my mind to work at home on a laptop, with or without external monitor. My 12" iBook is my steady companion when visiting libraries, traveling abroad and so on. Still hoping that sooner or later Apple will develop a new really small laptop, 12" or even 11", similar to the smallest Sony Vaio. But until then, or until it breaks down, I'll take with me my 12" iBook everywhere I go.

But at home I want a large keyboard, a large screen, a large internal memory, a powerful processor unit, and so on. I don't own a car, but if I owned one, it would be a Land Rover or a similar one. The same with computers.
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

Pe
Pelao

Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:50 am Post

Both.
For power etc the latest MB Pros can match or exceed the iMacs because you can add a HD with desktop speed and can up the RAM. So a laptop with an external monitor KB & mouse gives a great setup.

But I like having 2 computers because I enjoy a sense of security: if one has to go in for any sort of repair, is lost etc. then I can keep working.

When I bought mine I chose a 12" PB because it has a great balance of power and portability. It can burn DVDs, has lots of RAM and can handle a 20" external if needed.

My iMac was chose because it's more powerful processor helps speed up my photography work.

I don't like the Apple laptops, they are heavy behemoths (with one trackpad button!).

Behemoths? Interesting way of putting it.

The single trackpad button is supplemented by trackpad functionality that lets you scroll, double click etc without having to use the button.