Perhaps Someone Here Will Know How To Accomplish This...

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 am Post

I am looking to save this CARTO Map to my desktop with all pop data (hover data) attached.
How would I go about doing this?

The map is at the top of the page.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-the- ... wer-plants

mb
mbbntu
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:44 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Cambridge, UK.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:40 pm Post

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "save ... to my desktop". If you mean you would like to download the map, you can achieve that with Fluid app https://fluidapp.com, which will take a web page and turn it into an application. (Fluid app only costs $5.) I've just tried it and you get all the pop-ups.

If you mean you want the map as your desktop picture, I don't think that is possible except as a static image. I would guess that all the pop-ups are programmed using Javascript or some such. I'm no expert so someone might know how to achieve it, but I'd have my doubts.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm Post

mbbntu wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean by "save ... to my desktop". If you mean you would like to download the map, you can achieve that with Fluid app https://fluidapp.com, which will take a web page and turn it into an application. (Fluid app only costs $5.) I've just tried it and you get all the pop-ups.

If you mean you want the map as your desktop picture, I don't think that is possible except as a static image. I would guess that all the pop-ups are programmed using Javascript or some such. I'm no expert so someone might know how to achieve it, but I'd have my doubts.


Ooooooooh I am going to have to try this. You've given me the first solid lead I've had in days. No, I definitely do not want it as a "static image", I want the map and all the pop data. If this "fluidapp" will do that, then I'll be very happy. Thank you for your suggestion!

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:27 pm Post

Awww... it works, but Scrivener won't recognize the application once I import it into my project. That's a shame. Though at least I now have it in a convenient form for offline usage.

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 3889
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:29 pm Post

NamoNakiMichi wrote:Awww... it works, but Scrivener won't recognize the application once I import it into my project. That's a shame. Though at least I now have it in a convenient form for offline usage.

Make an alias of it and put that in the project notes? Would that work to click on it and open it externally?

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.1.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
NamoNakiMichi wrote:Awww... it works, but Scrivener won't recognize the application once I import it into my project. That's a shame. Though at least I now have it in a convenient form for offline usage.

Make an alias of it and put that in the project notes? Would that work to click on it and open it externally?

Mark


How do you make an alias, and can I put said alias in the binder with the rest of my related content for easy access?

mb
mbbntu
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:44 am
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Cambridge, UK.

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:37 am Post

You didn't say that you wanted to put the map into a Scrivener project, you said that you wanted to download it. Personally, I find it unwise to assume that people will intuit what I am intending to do unless I tell them. :D

If you use Safari to save the page as a webarchive (File > Save As >) you should be able to import that into a Scrivener project. Just be aware that it will want to connect to the net when you open the project.

My strategy when it comes to anything I find on the net is that I ALWAYS print it to pdf, then import it (usually to DEVONthink in my case). That freezes the content in the state it was when I found it (web pages may change, and what drew me to it may disappear) and preserves the URL of the page so I know where it came from.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 3889
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:48 am Post

NamoNakiMichi wrote:
xiamenese wrote:
NamoNakiMichi wrote:Awww... it works, but Scrivener won't recognize the application once I import it into my project. That's a shame. Though at least I now have it in a convenient form for offline usage.

Make an alias of it and put that in the project notes? Would that work to click on it and open it externally?

Mark


How do you make an alias, and can I put said alias in the binder with the rest of my related content for easy access?

When you have used Fluid.app, control-click on the resulting file/app—I don't know Fluid, so I've no idea what it creates—and from the menu choose "Make Alias". That will create a small file with the same icon but a little arrow in the bottom left corner. Try dragging that into the Reasearch folder in your Binder, or into the Project Bookmarks in the Inspector. Personally, I'd do the latter.

I have no idea if that will work, and I would duplicate your project first and do it on the duplicate, just in case it screws things up.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.14.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.1.1, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Na
NamoNakiMichi
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:13 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:22 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
NamoNakiMichi wrote:
xiamenese wrote:Make an alias of it and put that in the project notes? Would that work to click on it and open it externally?

Mark


How do you make an alias, and can I put said alias in the binder with the rest of my related content for easy access?

When you have used Fluid.app, control-click on the resulting file/app—I don't know Fluid, so I've no idea what it creates—and from the menu choose "Make Alias". That will create a small file with the same icon but a little arrow in the bottom left corner. Try dragging that into the Reasearch folder in your Binder, or into the Project Bookmarks in the Inspector. Personally, I'd do the latter.

I have no idea if that will work, and I would duplicate your project first and do it on the duplicate, just in case it screws things up.

Mark


Well, what I finally ended up doing was, using Fluid to create the executable, then I placed it in the Binder, in the folder I wanted it in, and then when I need to reference it, all I do now is right-click it, and open it externally, and it's there, with all of the information I need, saved, for offline use.