Computer: "the enemy of careful writing"

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:27 pm Post

AmberV wrote:That is interesting that your left hand picked it up naturally.

I can — or once was able to, haven’t tried for years — write simultaneously in both directions. (Not two different sentences, of course.) Possibly related, I have a version of stereo blindness, which is either a bug or a feature, depending on which optometrist you ask. I can look intentionally with either eye, much as I can lift either arm, and wear two different contact lenses, reading with my left eye and viewing at a distance with my right. (Much easier than bifocals.) Some with this ability/disability cannot “see” in stereo; for them, 3-D movies are about like any others. I see 3-D, but don’t particularly like anything I've seen so far. (Avatar? Jules Verne does Dances With Wolves.)

Phil
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:11 pm Post

PJS wrote:Possibly related, I have a version of stereo blindness, which is either a bug or a feature, depending on which optometrist you ask. I can look intentionally with either eye, much as I can lift either arm,...

I actually used to be able to do the same thing in my twenties. I could even look in different directions (effectiively forcing myself cross-eyed to look at two different things). There weren't many practical applications (I couldn't read two books at the same time, for example) although I could accurately aim a gun with each hand at the same time.

Sadly, I can no longer do this. My left eye is now heavily dominant, and my right eye only bothers to contribute if I actually close my left eye.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:54 pm Post

[quote="pigfender" There weren't many practical applications (I couldn't read two books at the same time, for example) although I could accurately aim a gun with each hand at the same time.[/quote]
I have relatives that would consider that the ultimate practical application.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Gr
GrubStLodger
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:03 am Post

I don't think careful writing is essential if you can improve energetic, uncareful writing with a good dollop of careful editing.

Mi
MikeRodgers
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:53 am Post

My two cents is very definitly in the "computers made it possible for me to write" camp.

My writing is so poor I can't read my own writing half the time. I was in top set for English language at school but had to take remedial writing lessons till age 14.

I found that I could organise my thoughts so much better as well as go back and correct a sentance so much more readily that with a pen and paper could. I tried to write as a teenager but my parents couldn't afford a word processor or a computer when I was young so I stopped. Now I'm in my late 30s I now write fiction for pleasure again and have been for a couple of years.

Long live the computer.

I do take the point about spell check and grammar. My solution is to print it and read it aloud. If I can't read it aloud then it needs to be re-written.

zikade
Platform: Mac

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:36 am Post

Two years ago I would have been an integral part of the computer-enabled-me-to-write camp. But now, I'm not. This summer I started going back to school in an attempt to broaden my education - never a bad move, or so it's generally agreed upon.

During the first weeks of attending classes I was utterly confused how to cope with it. I couldn't use my MacBook in class because constantly typing on it is simply too noisy for myself (while also listening to the lecturer). Instead of reverting to pen & paper, like most students did, I started using my ipad with a special pen for writing on the screen. That did the trick for me, but it showed something I never expected before: whenever kissed by creativity's fleeting spirits I tend to write in short and intense spurts. Usually, I would grab for the laptop and start jotting down whatever insight chased through to my mind. Unfortunately, this would soon transform into an editing session as well, and as soon as I would go back a paragraph to rephrase something, it would be the beginning of the closing stages of that particular session.

My ipad experience encouraged me to try for a different approach: grabbing a pen and a paper-notebook for those times, letting those moments of sheer brilliancy(ahem) last a lot longer since I'm never tempted to start edit my utterances.

Very personal, works for me kind of putting it: the handwritten manuscript (and yes, I do include my handwriting on the ipad here) is all but impervious to editing attempts, while the computer is the perfect tool for exactly that. Obviously, it is doable either way, tools are just that: tools.

A nice side-benefit: as soon as I discovered which tool works best for me, my writing became a bit more ... satisfactory; not necessarily better, but not so much of a chore as it has been occasionally. The "hard working" part of writing got easier, if that makes any sense at all ;)
There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't...