Anyone here using WhiteSmoke?

Bl
Bluesman
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:07 pm
Platform: Windows

Thu May 22, 2014 2:29 pm Post

I stumbled upon this:

[REMOVED URL]

Looks pretty cool. I'm curious if there's anyone here who has experience with it.

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24010
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Thu May 22, 2014 4:32 pm Post

Well, I pasted their own web page content into the demo box, hit the "Check Text" button, and they reported five critical writing mistakes. I am not sure what to make of that. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

PJ
PJS
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:05 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Upstate New York

Thu May 22, 2014 5:07 pm Post

I got only as far as the satisfied user who reported,

"As a screenplay writer using WhiteSmoke, my work became much easier and faster."

Not a strong endorsement.

phil
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

User avatar
vic-k
Posts: 7135
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:23 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu May 22, 2014 5:17 pm Post

https://www.mywot.com/?utm_source=addon ... nt=rw-logo
When I clicked the link. WOT^identified it as a site linked with virus and malware. :shock:

Check this lot! :shock: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=whitesmoke.com
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Bl
Bluesman
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:07 pm
Platform: Windows

Thu May 22, 2014 8:15 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Well, I pasted their own web page content into the demo box, hit the "Check Text" button, and they reported five critical writing mistakes. I am not sure what to make of that. :)

That's interesting, because that's the exact result I got when I copy-pasted some of my own text in there.

PJS wrote:I got only as far as the satisfied user who reported,

"As a screenplay writer using WhiteSmoke, my work became much easier and faster."

Not a strong endorsement.

phil


Common practice on sites that want to sell stuff. I look through that, but it doesn't necessarily turn me off immediately.

vic-k wrote:https://www.mywot.com/?utm_source=addon&utm_content=rw-logo
When I clicked the link. WOT^identified it as a site linked with virus and malware. :shock:

Check this lot! :shock: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=whitesmoke.com
Vic


Yeah, looks kinda sketchy.

I wanted to be sure, that's why I asked. Their site almost had me convinced, I'll be honest.

PJ
PJS
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:05 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Upstate New York

Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 am Post

Bluesman wrote:Common practice on sites that want to sell stuff. I look through that, but it doesn't necessarily turn me off immediately.


It's a serious grammatical boo-boo. If they're selling ice cream or chain saws, OK, but if they're trying to sell "correct" English, it's a definite site-killer.

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

Bl
Bluesman
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:07 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed May 28, 2014 12:18 pm Post

PJS wrote:
Bluesman wrote:Common practice on sites that want to sell stuff. I look through that, but it doesn't necessarily turn me off immediately.


It's a serious grammatical boo-boo. If they're selling ice cream or chain saws, OK, but if they're trying to sell "correct" English, it's a definite site-killer.

ps

You make a good point.