Adapting your Writing to Scanning & Skimming

In
InklingBooks
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:41 pm Post

The Washington Post has an interesting article about a tendency of more and more readers to scan and skim text rather than drive steadily through long passages:

To cognitive neuroscientists, Handscombe’s experience is the subject of great fascination and growing alarm. Humans, they warn, seem to be developing digital brains with new circuits for skimming through the torrent of information online. This alternative way of reading is competing with traditional deep reading circuitry developed over several millennia.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ser ... story.html

To my credit, I've anticipated that. My latest books start with pictures and the chapters are short and centered on one event. Where necessity means a chapter has to be longer, I'm inserting headings to break it up. In many cases, I'm trying to keep chapters around 2,000 words. I'm also looking for ways to make a book's appearance richer and more varied, including

italicizing
    using bulleted lists
    bolding important text.

In that, I'm, of course, imitating the Internet. You can see how that works out in practice by downloading the sample of my latest book here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/my-nig ... d690916827

Alas, that's assuming you have a Mac, and iPhone or iPad.

The Kindle sample is here, although I had no control over that content. (Boo, hiss Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/My-Nights-Leukemi ... B00EOVP15A

This explains the problem that poses for writers.

Wolf, one of the world’s foremost experts on the study of reading, was startled last year to discover her brain was apparently adapting, too. After a day of scrolling through the Web and hundreds of e-mails, she sat down one evening to read Hermann Hesse’s “The Glass Bead Game.”

“I’m not kidding: I couldn’t do it,” she said. “It was torture getting through the first page. I couldn’t force myself to slow down so that I wasn’t skimming, picking out key words, organizing my eye movements to generate the most information at the highest speed. I was so disgusted with myself.”

To start the discussion, I'll pose some questions:

1. Do you find yourself having a shorter attention span as you read?

2. Do you think your readers are experiencing this change?

3. Are you changing how you write as a result and, if so, how?

Go to it. Adapting to this might mean the difference between a book selling well and only selling so-so.

--Michael W. Perry, My Nights with Leukemia

Ah
Ahab

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 am Post

I can't imagine anything more depressing than writing for people who don't read.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:32 pm Post

Ahab wrote:I can't imagine anything more depressing than writing for people who don't read.

I was going to say "writing for vic-k?" but then the impossible happened.

"Self," i said, "vic-k is the ideal person to writer for."
"Really? Have you lost your mind?"
"You'd know best. But think about it. Has he ever provided anything but helpful encouragement or criticism?"
"Hmm..." self said to self. "I see your point. It is easy to think of him as a bit soft in noodle, but ..."
"We would know all about that since our noodle is all over the ceiling."
"Yes we would. But what better audience than a passionate reader who cares enough to point out things that disturb a reader?"
"Well, other than all the alter egos he does seem to be the perfect candidate."
"Ahh, but think about that again. You send one copy and you get a myriad of opinions."
"Self you are a GENIOUS! He's a one stop test market!"
"Exactly."

So yeah. I think Ahab hit it. If you aren't writing for someone like vic-k then it isn't something I would wan't to do.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

ro
rontarrant
Platform: Windows

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:20 pm Post

I don't have anything to add to the discussion, but... :?

I do find myself skimming and scanning. :roll:

In fact, I did it while reading this thread. :oops:

And, yes. It does make reading dense prose difficult. :evil:

I think it is affecting my writing style, too, but I've been working on a screenplay for the last while; the styles are similar. :mrgreen:

PJ
PJS

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:29 pm Post

To the contrary. After a day chasing — or fleeing from — my own dragons, I recover by reading the (apparently) old-fashioned way about other people and their dragons. Right now, I'm half-way through Umberto Eco's Prague Cemetery, which defies sloppy reading.

As does Hermann Hesse:

InklingBooks wrote:Wolf, one of the world’s foremost experts on the study of reading, was startled last year to discover her brain was apparently adapting, too. After a day of scrolling through the Web and hundreds of e-mails, she sat down one evening to read Hermann Hesse’s “The Glass Bead Game.”

“I’m not kidding: I couldn’t do it,” she said. “It was torture getting through the first page. I couldn’t force myself to slow down so that I wasn’t skimming, picking out key words, organizing my eye movements to generate the most information at the highest speed. I was so disgusted with myself.”

Take a break — coffee or Jameson, depending on the hour — between carousing around the Internet and sitting down with a good book.

Perhaps I am wrong, and will stumble through golden years making pins by hand, weaving cloaks on that hand-loom in the basement. This may be a giant leap forward, toward ultimate application of writerly admonitions: concrete nouns and specific verbs, eliminate adverbs (and prepositions and adjectives, et al).

However: There is an unexamined — or unreported — determinant here. Skimming has always been done when "torrent of information" is involved. If I'm writing an op-ed piece and want to add what Senator Sludge says about gun control, I'll have to winnow half a dozen clips to find it; I don't read them all, I skim, looking for "Sludge" and "guns."

But note that "torrent of information" was "online." The salvation of reading, of literature, of culture, of civilization, of the human race, may reside in spending less time online.

As for the questions...

1. No.
2. No idea.
3. Like Ahab and Jaysen, I don't want to write for people who don't want to read.

ps

EDIT APRIL 10

There still may be hope... a coffee shop which not only does not offer wi-fi, it actually bans lap-tops. Imagine, a bunch of students/writers/normal people sitting around reading tangible, palpable magazines and writing on real paper with old-fashioned pencils and pens.

http://goo.gl/83SFU5

At least, I think of it as hope.
Last edited by PJS on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

ma
marcoiac

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:17 pm Post

I find it fairly easy to switch from one mode of reading to another, I am not really concerned I will lose the habit or capacity of reading attentively. Let's face it, a lot of online stuff deserves not much more than scanning and skimming. But if you do encounter a text that deserves attention and slow reading, I think you should be able to do it. I don't think it's a real concern. It does require some level of cognitive control, but isn't that desirable anyway? :)

In
InklingBooks

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:13 pm Post

I agree with some posters and with someone quote in the article. It does seem quite possible to train the brain (alliteration alert) to handle both skimming and long reading. It's a bit like being able to sprint well and do long-distance running.

But we do need to keep in mind that our readers may not be willing to do that or, more likely, be aware that the Internet has made them read differently from their grandmother, when she was their age. Accustomed to the quick feed of web browsing, they may find the five-course meals we're serving boring and blame us rather than how they have trained their brain.

I have circulating in my mind a little 'what could I do different' loop that asks how what I write could be varied. Oddly enough, one reason is because I think that digital reading grabs our attention in fewer dimensions than print reading. Print books have a physicality--that page that doesn't change and pagination. They're like being in someone's home, with clear distinctions about which room is which. Even holding a book is different at the beginning, middle and end.

Digital books, on the other hand, seem like walking down a long, poorly lit hallway reading the signs on the wall. All is the same. There's no context behind the words. That may be why one recent study, which I could not find again, says that students don't learn as well with digital books as with printed ones.

This also raises a parenting question. One of my nephews refuses to have an Internet connection at home because he finds the web too addicting. But that has, as a side result, that his kids read books constantly. Since that's likely to help them in school more than browsing, it's a good thing.

For those who like deep thought, here's an article that compares the shift between print and digital to that from oral to literate in ancient Greek society:

In my work on the evolution of the reading brain during the past decade, I have found important insights from the history of literacy, neuroscience and literature that can help to better prepare us to examine this set of issues. The historical moment that best approximates the present transition from a literate to a digital culture is found in the ancient Greeks’ transition from an oral culture to a literacy-based culture. Socrates, who was arguably Greece’s most eloquent apologist for an oral culture, protested against the acquisition of literacy. And he did so on the basis of questions that are prescient today—and, in that prescience, surprising.
Socrates contended that the seeming permanence of the printed word would delude the young into thinking they had accessed the crux of knowledge, rather than simply decoded it. For him, only the intellectually effortful process of probing, analyzing and internalizing knowledge would enable the young to develop a lifelong, personal approach to knowing and thinking, which could lead them to their ultimate goals—wisdom and virtue. Only the examined word—and the examined life—was worth pursuing. Literacy, Socrates believed, would short-circuit both.

http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/reports/a ... tions.aspx

I suspect the Internet poses a different but equally serious dilemma--why learn at all when everything you need to know is (or at least seems to be) available with a quick Google search?

There's also this, which essentially says that, while our brains come hardwired to learn spoken languages, they don't come wired for reading in any particular way, so how we first learn to read may shape our brains learn to read and limit us the in the future.

The act of going beyond the text to analyze, infer and think new thoughts is the product of years of formation. It takes time, both in milliseconds and years, and effort to learn to read with deep, expanding comprehension and to execute all these processes as an adult expert reader. When it comes to building this reading circuit in a brain that has no preprogrammed setup for it, there is no genetic guarantee that any individual novice reader will ever form the expert reading brain circuitry that most of us form. The reading circuit’s very plasticity is also its Achilles’ heel. It can be fully fashioned over time and fully implemented when we read, or it can be short-circuited—either early on in its formation period or later, after its formation, in the execution of only part of its potentially available cognitive resources.

This might be the result:

We know a great deal about the present iteration of the reading brain and all of the resources it has learned to bring to the act of reading. However, we still know very little about the digital reading brain. My major worry is that, confronted with a digital glut of immediate information that requires and receives less and less intellectual effort, many new (and many older) readers will have neither the time nor the motivation to think through the possible layers of meaning in what they read. The omnipresence of multiple distractions for attention—and the brain’s own natural attraction to novelty—contribute to a mindset toward reading that seeks to reduce information to its lowest conceptual denominator. Sound bites, text bites, and mind bites are a reflection of a culture that has forgotten or become too distracted by and too drawn to the next piece of new information to allow itself time to think.

In other words, all those hyperlinks can be distracting and make us shallow.

--Mike Perry

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:53 pm Post

I thought that I switched reading styles fairly easily as well, but I have been horrified to discover that even when I think I have read something in full on my iPhone, it may turn out that I haven't. I have a subscription for the print edition of a magazine, and about a year ago I added the digital edition for a nominal extra fee. Recently, I have been reading only the digital version on my iPhone, rather than the paper copy, and I was beginning to think that the magazine's standards were slipping and that there isn't as much meaty content in it now as there has been in the past. This weekend, I picked up the most recent paper issue and sat down to read it as I did in the olden days, pre-iPhone. I was amazed to find (a) that it took longer to read each section, (b) that there seemed to be much more in it, and (c) that the material was so engaging that I actually started reading bits of it out to the assembled family, just as I used to before switching to reading on the iPhone. Closer scrutiny reveals that the two versions are identical in content. The only difference in my perception of the material is caused by my own reading style in the two different media.

On a vaguely related subject, I recently read an interesting article at http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksb ... -speed-app about a speed-reading system for apps, called Spritz. In essence, one word at a time is flashed up on the screen, centred, with the middle part in red, and the text flashes rapidly in front of your eyes. The system is supposed to greatly speed up on-screen reading, and the demo on the developer's website shows examples up to 600 words per minute. It is a diverting idea, but I'm not sure about reading a whole book like that. You can see it at http://www.spritzinc.com.
Literature & Latte support team

Hu
Hugh

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:47 am Post

The technology may have changed, but the skills haven't.

When I was growing up, there was a similar focus on 'speed-reading'. President Kennedy was renowned for it (it was apparently the only way he got through all his daily reading in good time to leave space in his schedule for - well - all his other activities), and there was a popular how-to book, published by Penguin, that laid out the techniques, which many of us, afraid of being swamped by the then-forecast deluge of written information, avidly adopted.

But one day I was 'speed-reading' a paperback novel by Hammett, Fleming or Spillane - I forget whom - when I came to the realisation 'This may not be Eng Lit, but it's still the product of experience, craft and ingenuity. I'm interested in what the author has written here, not just the thrust of the plot, but also the juxtaposition of individual words and their effect.'

I realised then that the true skill in speed-reading remains judging when to deploy speed-reading skills. And for writers, the implications remain as they always have been: write for the reader you want.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Jaysen

Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:52 pm Post

And hugh hits it...

the question is "why are you reading?"

who looks the significant other in the eye, says "other, I want to spend a romantic, meaningful evening with you" then makes reservations at Taco Bell (when we were dirt poor we did, but the idea is there).

The enjoyment of a thing should be allowed to demand our full, undivided attention. Speed reading by its nature is just a rushed and hurried "wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am" read of material. While I make no pretense of ever making a dime off my writing, I hope to God that anything I put out brings the reader into the story like a romantic dinner at a fine restaurant brings the Mrs into the center of my world.

If we start writing for one night stand readers then we immediately cheapen the art of what we are doing.

Again, I read and write because I enjoy it. My opinion is highly biased by my "why". Those who make a living reading and writing may feel differently.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

In
InklingBooks

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:07 pm Post

On a vaguely related subject, I recently read an interesting article at http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksb ... -speed-app about a speed-reading system for apps, called Spritz. In essence, one word at a time is flashed up on the screen, centred, with the middle part in red, and the text flashes rapidly in front of your eyes. The system is supposed to greatly speed up on-screen reading, and the demo on the developer's website shows examples up to 600 words per minute. It is a diverting idea, but I'm not sure about reading a whole book like that. You can see it at http://www.spritzinc.com.

I tried a similar app and found that, while it did drive me to read faster, I did not like the experience. It made me to read at one speed and I find I like to skim some parts and stop and ponder over others. It was a bit like taking a walk with someone who likes to walk fast when you'd rather slow down and enjoy some parts of your walk. Speed isn't everything.

I sometimes joke that writing books doesn't leave me with much time to read for fun. I partly get around that by listening to audiobooks on my iPhone while I walk. If you've got a similar interest, you might want to check out:

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com

A number of websites offer free, public domain audiobooks, but their collection has an advantage. You can get a book's chapters broken up into podcasts, which makes it easy to install on your mobile device and easy to listen to in short segments. I'm listening to Lord Jim right now. The person doing the reading is quite good.

Since you can read in the dark, it's also great way to prepare for sleep. It's also a good way to occupy yourself while showering or preparing a meal. For that, I have a now-ancient iPod mini attached to a speaker system.

--Mike Perry, Inkling Books

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu May 08, 2014 6:28 am Post

PJS wrote:There still may be hope... a coffee shop which not only does not offer wi-fi, it actually bans lap-tops. Imagine, a bunch of students/writers/normal people sitting around reading tangible, palpable magazines and writing on real paper with old-fashioned pencils and pens.

I can see not offering Wi-Fi, but banning laptops? Screw them. Some of us *cannot* write without them. Elitism makes it easy to figure out where not to spend my money.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

xiamenese

Thu May 08, 2014 8:14 am Post

I’ve been reading more on an e-reader — non-backlit Kobo, and mostly, but by no means entirely, books I’ve read before in paper form and like to re-read — and on my Macbook Air — Irving Stone, “The Agony and the Ecstasy”, which I got into as a result of helping a Chinese friend who was commissioned to translate it into Chinese, and who sent me a link to an online version as I needed the full context to answer her questions.

The whole time, I find myself infuriated by the sloppy editing, the hundreds of obvious typos that result from the OCR that should have been edited out. In the e-books on the Kobo, these are paid-for publications by Random House, Harper-Collins et al., reputable print publishers … and yet they issue e-books of their publications full of typos, and not just the burn = bum one recently commented on — one from yesterday was “we || …” for “we’ll …”.

Reading this thread made me think that maybe the people who are employed to edit the books are ‘reading electronically’ and just skimming … reading the books to follow the plot, with their eyes skipping over the typos, as encouraged to do by electronic media, rather than actually reading critically as one does with paper books.

It can be difficult enough to spot all typos on paper; doing so on a computer screen is well nigh impossible in my experience, and I’m a very old-fashioned perfectionist.

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …