Writing without the head

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:17 pm Post

Khowboy

Don`t look at the lower foot, look at the it`s shadow and you`ll see her change direction, as often as she probably changes her mind.

vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Lord Lightning

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:03 am Post

You guys are all nuts!!!

She is poised and standing perfectly still.

It has nothing to do with right and left brain - it depends on whether or not you are on dial-up or broadband.

I am on dial-up.

Maybe I'm just a well balanced kid.

Yuk! Yuk!

Loved this exercise...

:D :D :D
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

vic-k

Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:16 pm Post

My Lord Lighning,

Sire, I too, see no movement. My previous post was just to indulge the feeble fantisizings of the peasantry. In fact I see the proper image, not the silhouette, and, as the good lady wife pointed out, "She`s a dead ringer for that bimbo you were dating when I met you".

C`est la Vie, Sire,

Your humble servant,
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Juddbert
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:28 pm Post

vic-k wrote:My Lord Lighning,

Sire, I too, see no movement. My previous post was just to indulge the feeble fantisizings of the peasantry. In fact I see the proper image, not the silhouette, and, as the good lady wife pointed out, "She`s a dead ringer for that bimbo you were dating when I met you".

C`est la Vie, Sire,

Your humble servant,
Vic

Good to see that you put her in a spin Vic! I dunno, welders and hot rods... :wink:
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.1 on macOS 10.14.
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

vic-k

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:19 pm Post

Touche! Judders you old `Beast` touche!

Your way with words is becoming as slick as mine. But, nonetheless: true!

Welders are a breed apart; our animal magnetism is dangerously irresistible to females of all ages, but fortunately, tempered with the gentlemanly charm, kindness and consideration of the thoroughbred true-blooded Englishman. But, as you so rightly put it `"Welders and their `Hotrods` (':twisted:')
Take care,

White hot Vic.

vic-k

Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:01 am Post

[quote][/quote]

Ma
Margaret

Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:22 am Post

I'm getting motion sick watching her. All I could see was counter-clockwise (how depressing for any thoughts about being creative). After a while, she did switch directions. The foot is the key. Watch the black foot and the shadow foot come together and then try imagining her going in the other direction. I can make her switch directions about every third spin, but it seems to take several time around before I can make her go back the other way.

Lord Lightning, I haven't laughed so hard in weeks. Thanks!

Margaret

Eldritch

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:35 pm Post

Margaret wrote:The foot is the key.

:shock:

Surely your mind is the key? :D

In all seriousness, when I first looked at this I could only see it going clockwise. That was, until I started to read the text to the left. Out the corner of my beady eye, I noticed, low and behold, it had changed. Anti-clockwise it was... For a few seconds anyway. It's back to clockwise now and getting a thumbs up from me. I suddenly feel all creative again.
When in doubt, have a man come through the door with a gun in his hand.
--Raymond Chandler

PJ
PJS

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:06 pm Post

Having been (at least partly) responsible for this line of inquiry, I feel obligated to report on my own later experience with she-whose-spinning-reveals-our-inner-workings. I've found a sure-fire and instantaneous way to reverse the spin:
glance at a sudoku puzzle and try to work out the first number and she spins to the left;
glance at the shelf where I keep pictures of children and grandchildren and she spins to the right.

But now two other considerations puzzle me.

The first is, her rotational speed appears to vary. Usually it's a sedate and credible rpm, but now and again she seems to go faster (without pulling in her arms) and looks less like a dancer than like a mystic in a religious trance. Maybe it's a glitch in the internet connection... or my brain slows down at odd (and even) hours.

The second is a bit more delicate -- perhaps I should say indelicate. To wit: are we presumed to be viewing the lady from above or below? I mean, it does affect the decision as to direction of spin, relative to a clock.

Phil...

... who ought instead to be sorting out the confusion in chapter seven.

St
Studio717

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:33 pm Post

For real crazy-making, go to Mark Bernstein's blog (he of Tinderbox fame) and scroll down until you see his entry on it or click on the link below. He put TWO of the silhouette images there - and they rotate like mirror images of each other.

(At least for me.)

Bernstein's blog post Illusion

It would be a kick to find out why this happens. I've read any number of hypotheses, but nothing strikes me as the real reason.

PJ
PJS

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:17 pm Post

I studied it for a few seconds, agreeing with you that they're mirror images. (How he do that?) Then, unaccountably, one of them reversed; they were spinning, that is, in the same direction (clockwise, at that moment). I've watched for a while, trying my own sure-fire reversal protocols, which seem not to work at all. Sometimes the figures rotate the same way, sometimes in reverse -- that is, in mirror image. No way yet to figure out what it is that makes either or both change.

I'm a firm believer in vino veritas, but a sprightly Cabernet will not work here. Time to pull down the Jameson, earlier in the day than is my wont but just about on time for my will.

I'll report back later. Much later.

Phil

vic-k

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:26 pm Post

She`s definitely a dead-ringer for the girl I was seeing when I met my wife.

She was...one of.... twins...emm!!. sorry! lump in throat (wife doesn`t know about the other one), jeeezz! how time flies.

Vic

PS Grumpy Phil, don`t go near the Jameson when watching that!!

You could find that one of the figures changes shape, and appears to be male. and...... :twisted:

Stay of the Irish.

Ma
Margaret

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:24 am Post

We aren't the only ones talking about this -- a quick search turned up numerous discussions. One person made the point that she's not turning at all, but going back and forth like a pendulum. After I watched for a while, I could see that illusion too. If I watch the point at the end of her raised foot and imagine it stopping at either side of the screen and switching directions, it does. Pretty soon, someone's going to say they can see her spinning from top to bottom and I'll see that too.

Now for real confusion -- how about typing too fast in Leopard and hitting the wrong keys. Suddenly the browser disappears and all I can see is the blank desktop. Moment of panic and then, oh, it's only spaces. I'll bet it's only a matter of time before someone sends a frantic post saying Scrivener crashed and all their work disappeared.

Edit: After writing that, I thought really, the first thing a person would do is restart the program in the new window. And then I got curious about what would happen if you did and it turns out that if you open Scrivener in another space, you're taken back to the space where Scrivener is already running. In fact, I couldn't open a second occurrence of Scrivener in a different space even with a different file, although I could have multiple files running in the same one. In retrospect, that makes sense -- you couldn't risk two versions of a program trying to write to any common file (like global preferences), but I hadn't thought about that until I experimented.

Margaret

Kh
Khadrelt

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:44 pm Post

Weird, I can't see mirror images for the life of me. I stared at those two for quite a long time, and while I could make them switch directions at will, they always both went that direction.
And that, my Liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped.

vic-k

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:31 pm Post

KH,

Try it after two or three doubles of Jameson Irish Whiskey.

It`s enough to have the forum taken down

vic