National Non-fiction Writing Month

In
InklingBooks
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:12 pm Post

You might have heard, but I hadn't. Just like there's a National Novel Writing Month:

http://nanowrimo.org

there's now a National Non-fiction Writing Month:

http://writenonfictionnow.com/about-wri ... onfiwrimo/

Unfortunately, both are in November, so unless you're super disciplined, you'll have to choose which to adopt.

Here's a bit of the latter's history:

In October 2007, a year after Nina Amir participated in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), she asked herself, “What’s a nonfiction writer supposed to do during November?” Searching around in the NaNoWriMo forums, she discovered NaNoRebels. Participating as a rebel might be fine for some nonfiction writers, but not for Nina. Although she has a rebellious nature, she wanted to participate in a legitimate manner.

So, Nina gave birth to Write Nonfiction in November (WNFIN), aka National Nonfiction Writing Month (NaNonFiWriMo). Unlike its fiction counterpart, NaNonFiWriMo is not a contest and offers no word-counting mechanism to deem anyone a winner. It’s a personal challenge conducted on the honor system to start and finish a work of nonfiction in 30 days—any work of nonfiction. If you meet your goal, you get the personal satisfaction of knowing you did so—and a manuscript, or maybe several manuscripts, with which to pursue publication.

I've always thought that, if I wanted to do a one-month writing blitz of non-fiction, I'd just cheat and pretend it was a novel. This makes it legitimate. Details at the website above.

Now if they'd just drop the "National" from both names, so those outside the U.S aren't technically cheating by joining in.

--Michael W. Perry, My Nights with Leukemia: Caring for Children with Cancer (definitely non-fiction, but written over some seven months)

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:33 pm Post

Brilliant! I write mostly non-fiction so this would play more to my sense of reality and therefore self-discipline. I might give it a go, possibly. Although I'm not so sure about the remit to "start and complete a work of nonfiction in 30 days". Finish something? Moi? :)
Literature & Latte support team

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:34 pm Post

I've worked intermittently on biographical and family-history short pieces, a here's-your-heritage collection for my kids. Some of it — inevitable with aging memory — no doubt is fiction, but it's meant to be non-fiction. This could be motivation to organize those scattered snippets (the prose, not the kids) into a single coherent package. (Well, a single package, anyway.)

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

Fr
FredInChina
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:37 pm Post

LOL... next Keith and Matt are going to claim that code falls in the category! :D

r6d2

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:24 pm Post

FredInChina wrote:LOL... next Keith and Matt are going to claim that code falls in the category! :D

IMHO, code has always been, and always will be, definitely fiction by definition!
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

Jaysen

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:42 pm Post

r6d2 wrote:
FredInChina wrote:LOL... next Keith and Matt are going to claim that code falls in the category! :D

IMHO, code has always been, and always will be, definitely fiction by definition!

define fiction and non-fiction?

I would call code non-fiction as it has a historical context and it "lives" in this reality as a discrete entity. Like a corporation. Compare that to a fictional entity which lives in a clearly "not real" word.

But I'm in an argumentative mood so feel free to ignore me.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Sanguinius
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:23 pm Post

Why not just submit your non-fiction to nanowrimo at the end of the month? It doesn't matter what the content is, just that you submit 50,000 words.

r6d2

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:39 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
r6d2 wrote:IMHO, code has always been, and always will be, definitely fiction by definition!

I would call code non-fiction as it has a historical context and it "lives" in this reality as a discrete entity. Like a corporation. Compare that to a fictional entity which lives in a clearly "not real" word.

Well, according to Wikipedia, Fiction is the form of any work that deals, in part or in whole, with information or events that are not real, but rather, imaginary and theoretical—that is, invented by the author.

I think software code accounts for all that, and more.

But actually I don't believe that what we call reality is a certain thing, so feel free to ignore me :wink:
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

Jaysen

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:58 pm Post

r6d2 wrote:
Jaysen wrote:
r6d2 wrote:IMHO, code has always been, and always will be, definitely fiction by definition!

Well, according to Wikipedia, Fiction is the form of any work that deals, in part or in whole, with information or events that are not real, but rather, imaginary and theoretical—that is, invented by the author.

I think software code accounts for all that, and more.

But actually I don't believe that what we call reality is a certain thing, so feel free to ignore me :wink:
Code create "real" data though. Ex: this forum. Real molecules are realigned to a specific magnetic orientation on a physical disk/memory location in a physical device in a physical building at a specific location in the time space we all occupy. So the code itself is non-fiction. I would say the same of the typed words on the page of a fiction book though too. The medium is real, non-fiction, for both code and books. Code is to compute platforms as inked letters are to paper.

I'm sure we agree that the ideas imparted by the medium can be fictional in both cases.

Even if we disagree, I appreciate the thought. been a while since I actually tried to solidify a "newish" thought like that. Nice to shake the cobwebs off the grey matter.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:19 am Post

As long as the instruction manual is non-fiction, I'm happy.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:55 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:...at a specific location in the time space we all occupy.
:shock: :? A rather sweeping statement, young Master Numpty! Not, ALL!!!, surely? I suspect my human has his own particular niche in the great scheme of things... or at least he thinks he has.
Fluff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

Jaysen

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:25 pm Post

Fluff wrote:
Jaysen wrote:...at a specific location in the time space we all occupy.
:shock: :? A rather sweeping statement, young Master Numpty! Not, ALL!!!, surely? I suspect my human has his own particular niche in the great scheme of things... or at least he thinks he has.
Fluff

Have you considered that your human may be fiction?
Jaysen

r6d2

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:50 pm Post

pigfender wrote:As long as the instruction manual is non-fiction, I'm happy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This forum definitely needs a Like button!
r6d2

--Julio Cortázar