AMERICANS! Please help...

SarsenLintel
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:56 pm Post

pigfender wrote:HELLO! I need your help once again.
(will he ever finish this damn novel?!? I certainly hope not!)

Americans, Australians, New Zealander’s, Canadians...
Can you name for me please some varieties of apple that are common in your jurisdictions? Bonus points if you highlight which varieties you think have funny names.

According to Foodland Ontario, the most popular varieties around here are:

McIntosh, a deep red color with a green background.
Red Delicious, deep red, elongated shaped and five bumps on bottom.
Empire, dark red, blush with a splash of yellow or green.
Idared, bright red with greenish-yellow patches.
Crispin (or Mutsu), greenish-yellow exterior with an orange blush.
Golden Delicious, yellow or greenish-yellow exterior, elongated shape, five bumps on bottom.
Spartan, dark red skin.
Cortland, bright red with yellow cheek.
Northern Spy, red-striped skin with green color. Northern Spy is the number 1 baking apple.

Here's the list of the cultivars maintained in the Ontario Heritage Orchard mentioned at the above link: https://www.plant.uoguelph.ca/people-an ... ge-orchard

Side note: Mind blown that there's a Quinte apple. I lived briefly in that area and had no idea. Apparently I should have stopped at the Big Apple stand beside the highway to buy a pie or something.

And while I'm at it, here's a resource from a heritage apple nursery in B.C.
http://denmanapple.ca/apples/apples.php

rw
rwfranz
Platform: Windows

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25 am Post

pigfender wrote:HELLO! I need your help once again.
(will he ever finish this damn novel?!? I certainly hope not!)

Americans, Australians, New Zealander’s, Canadans...
Can you name for me please some varieties of apple that are common in your jurisdictions? Bonus points if you highlight which varieties you think have funny names.

Heh. From Washington state, and I think we grow everything here. Galas, Red Delicious, Jonathans, Granny smiths, Golden Delicious, Pippins, Honeycrisps (those are at the stores). There's an antique apple orchard in one of our local parks with several dozen varieties from the late 1800's, too. I wouldn't say they're common varieties, but Wealthy, King, Gravenstein, Dutch Mignone, Red Astrachan, Rhode Island Greening, Bietigheimer, and Esopus Spitzenburg are the most common in that orchard (Piper's orchard, there's a wikipedia entry for it).