Generic RPG that could be used as a story system?

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:08 pm Post

This is a probably stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is there a generic rpg system that I use to create characters and plot by rolling a dice. Feel it may assist me in doing bad things to my characters. Not even sure if such a thing exists.

Basically is there a generic RPG system out there that will help me create my own stories? I struggle to do bad things to my characters sometimes. I could let the dice help me decide their fate. BWAHAHAHA!
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

Lord Lightning

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:40 am Post

Johnn Four

roleplayingtips.com

Explore!
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:26 am Post

For a while I used Tarot to generate random scenarios for my characters, and sometimes to even design the characters themselves. It's a pretty good technique because Tarot is specific enough to say something, but at the same time horoscope-flexible enough to adapt to nearly any situation you throw a random set of cards at (which is why it works so well as a "divination" tool). It's also handy because it has a pretty full range of Things That Might Happen to Humans. Main drawback is that it takes a little bit of study to learn how to use it effectively. The little booklets they usually come with are enough for story building, I'd say. Some basic description for each card, and usually one or two "spreads" you can use to deal the cards into. A very simple one that works well is just three cards for past-present-future.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:43 pm Post

I once used tarot cards to play poker. I got a full house and 4 people died.

-Steven Wright
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

StaceyUK

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:07 pm Post

AmberV wrote:For a while I used Tarot to generate random scenarios for my characters, and sometimes to even design the characters themselves. It's a pretty good technique because Tarot is specific enough to say something, but at the same time horoscope-flexible enough to adapt to nearly any situation you throw a random set of cards at (which is why it works so well as a "divination" tool). It's also handy because it has a pretty full range of Things That Might Happen to Humans. Main drawback is that it takes a little bit of study to learn how to use it effectively. The little booklets they usually come with are enough for story building, I'd say. Some basic description for each card, and usually one or two "spreads" you can use to deal the cards into. A very simple one that works well is just three cards for past-present-future.

This made me smile Ioa as I already use Tarot for storytelling! It's nice to know I'm not the only one!
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

AmberV

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:45 pm Post

I went a little overboard with it for my 2006 NaNo. I developed a 71 card spread, with the 72nd withheld for the protagonist. So I had 71 scenes, all interlocked in a hexagon diagram. It was a lot of fun, but pretty... random. Fortunately the story was told from within the mind of one who had gone mad, so that didn't matter.
Ioa Petra'ka

pigfender

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:46 pm Post

Speaking of going mad...

Worth a look if you've not played it before is Call of Cthulhu. It won't help so much in the 'auto plot generator' sense, but given its literary roots (it's based on the works of HP Lovecraft) it might be inspirational.

It's suitably generic: the edition I had back in the day had info to play in 1890s gaslight England, 1920s America and the modern day (well, the 1990s as it was then) I think they have since released extra packs for the Dark Ages, Roman Times and the future. As it's not a fantasy RPG (well, not Tolkien-esque fantasy), character generation is based less on classes such as barbarians, clerics and sorcerers and instead focused on the kind of careers that might cause you to stumble upon novelworthy events (journalists, PIs, etc etc).

The main reason I suggest it, though, is your worry that you have trouble making bad things happen to your characters. As the Wikipedia page suggests... Unlike other RPGs, "CoC assumed that most investigators would not survive, alive or sane, and that the only safe way to deal with the vast majority of nasty things described in the rule books was to run away. A well-run CoC campaign should engender a sense of foreboding and inevitable doom in its players." Sounds like just the inspiration you need.

If you are a gamer as well, it might be an interesting change of pace from your usual sessions. The rulebook comes with a three or four scenarios to play, and given the subject matter it might be a great one to try for Hallowe'en! I think Chaosium sells a pdf download version.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Lord Lightning

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 pm Post

Scroll down here for lots of Cthulhu stuff:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php ... _10103_0_0
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.

Pe
Peloquin
Platform: Windows

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:09 pm Post

StaceyUK wrote:This is a probably stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is there a generic rpg system that I use to create characters and plot by rolling a dice. Feel it may assist me in doing bad things to my characters. Not even sure if such a thing exists.

Basically is there a generic RPG system out there that will help me create my own stories? I struggle to do bad things to my characters sometimes. I could let the dice help me decide their fate. BWAHAHAHA!

Both GURPS (Generic Universal RolePlaying System) and FATE are specifically designed to be generic systems that can be used in any setting, the later one is also free. They both have setting books, but the base rules accommodate easily using them in your own settings and worlds.

GURPS
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/

FATE
http://www.faterpg.com/
http://www.faterpg.com/dl/

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:14 am Post

AmberV wrote:I went a little overboard with it for my 2006 NaNo. I developed a 71 card spread, with the 72nd withheld for the protagonist. So I had 71 scenes, all interlocked in a hexagon diagram. It was a lot of fun, but pretty... random. Fortunately the story was told from within the mind of one who had gone mad, so that didn't matter.

That sounds like it would be a fun exercise...
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

StaceyUK

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:02 pm Post

garpu wrote:
AmberV wrote:I went a little overboard with it for my 2006 NaNo. I developed a 71 card spread, with the 72nd withheld for the protagonist. So I had 71 scenes, all interlocked in a hexagon diagram. It was a lot of fun, but pretty... random. Fortunately the story was told from within the mind of one who had gone mad, so that didn't matter.

That sounds like it would be a fun exercise...

I agree. :D
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

AmberV

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:05 pm Post

Heh, I'll have to see if I can dig up something. I once had written about a hundred pages of documentation on its use. I take procrastination toward levels of full on productivity towards whatever I'm not supposed to be doing.

The hexagonal chart did make a sneak appearance, here:

:)
Ioa Petra'ka

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 am Post

AmberV wrote:Heh, I'll have to see if I can dig up something. I once had written about a hundred pages of documentation on its use. I take procrastination toward levels of full on productivity towards whatever I'm not supposed to be doing.

The hexagonal chart did make a sneak appearance, here:

:)

:shock:
OK, I am genuinely impressed by that level of procrastination. While I fully understand, and genuinely relate to, procrastination reaching productive levels, the hex is making it an art form. I salute you.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:56 am Post

Wandering into this rather late, but the Burning Wheel system is excellent for a focus on characters. It won't necessarily give you just a die roll to create Evil Event to happen, but as a system it encourages a character-centric story that develops by pushing against the characters' beliefs, goals, and instincts--basically, the GM endeavors to set up situations in which the character has to make a tough choice, and that choice will continue to affect the character as the story goes on. So from a fiction-writing perspective, taking a little time to step back and analyze your characters to figure out where they are at this moment, what they want, what their deep-inset instincts are, and then come up with some havoc you can wreak to make 'em squirm by pressing those buttons really can do wonders.

For completely random, I use the Once Upon a Time card game. I've never developed anything serious with it, but it's a good lark and gets creative juices flowing. Plus it's just a fantastic game when you get a good group of people together. I have the Dark Tales expansion to throw in a nice dose of Grimm. ;)

AmberV wrote:I went a little overboard with it for my 2006 NaNo. I developed a 71 card spread, with the 72nd withheld for the protagonist. So I had 71 scenes

All at once, those sample projects with all the crazy document titles make sense!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:31 pm Post

http://www.levenger.com/Games-822/Rory- ... MgodgGcAnA

Those might be helpful when you're stuck. Can't come up with a twist? Roll a few dice and plot out your scene. I've played with them a couple of times, and they're kind of fun. I always seem to create a murder scene out of my rolls though. Hmm... Best not to delve too deep into that.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?