Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:36 pm Post

'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:08 pm Post

I reacted similarly (with laughter and jokes bordering on the hysterical), when I was awakened by police to find my parked car (along with 3 others on the street) had been all but totaled by a drunk driver of a stolen vehicle. The poor man.

This does put the perspective on the worries some have over Drop Box however. You can't sue a fire for destroying your work like you can a thief/company for distributing it.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

Mi
MikeRodgers
Platform: Windows

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:57 am Post

As a tech support person for my day job I cannot recomend backing up your work enough. If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me "but what about my daughters homework?" Or even lost their dissertation two weeks before submission date. :shock:

We say any personal data you dont have two copies of is data you don't care about.

timdehring
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:47 pm Post

I cannot agree more with the "backup your stuff" line. I have Dropbox, Google Drive, Backblaze, and Time Machine on my Mac, as well as 2 32BG USB flash drives. Call me paranoid, but I like knowing my work will be safe.
"Well, it took an hour to write. I thought it would take an hour to read!" - Philip J. Fry, When Aliens Attack

me
meldroc
Platform: Linux + Windows

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:02 pm Post

I keep copies of the sci-fi story I'm working on in Scrivener on Dropbox, along with backups to my local drive, and to a thumb drive.

The rule of thumb I hear is that to really keep important data save, you should have it on three separate devices. Your local hard drive counts as one, a thumb-drive also counts, and Dropbox counts.