SK : Everything You Need to Know About Writing Successfully

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 pm Post

caseyfreeland wrote:Lately though I've been writing on my iPad and importing into Scrivener as I go, so I've been using the "xxx" with a small note about why I'm putting the "xxx". That will get me through the first draft. When I'm done I'll go back and turn those "xxx"'s into highlights or annotations depending on what it is.

Casey

I don't have an iPad, but I do recall something about in-line annotations and document syncing with ipad apps. I think that they get turned into bracketed text (don't know which brackets) on the iPad apps, and then those are translated into annotations when you sync back to Scrivener. If you check the manual, or the Tech support forums, I'm sure someone will be able to confirm or deny that feature.
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

caseyfreeland

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:42 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:I don't have an iPad, but I do recall something about in-line annotations and document syncing with ipad apps. I think that they get turned into bracketed text (don't know which brackets) on the iPad apps, and then those are translated into annotations when you sync back to Scrivener. If you check the manual, or the Tech support forums, I'm sure someone will be able to confirm or deny that feature.

I fought with the Scrivener/iPad syncing for a long time, using different text editors on my iPad, working with the sync features in Scrivener, etc., but for me it just wasn't worth it. I'm just cutting/pasting as I write from Dropbox into Scrivener. I have no intention to copy back into my iPad for editing, so that works for me.

Maybe I'll try and tackle it again once my first draft is done.

P.S. - The iPad is a fantastic first draft machine.

Hu
Hugh

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:49 pm Post

Re not stopping to look stuff up: I agree with this. One of the things to learn when writing long-form is that a proportion of research and checking should be done after the first draft. Not only is this more efficient in the long run -- your draft defines the additional research you need, so less time wasted on redundant looking-up -- but also in the short -- your thinking and writing flows are less disjointed, and the words on the page may manifest this. (Of course some research needs to be done before you start writing, but much less than many people sometimes think.)

Personally, I believe the same applies to factual writing too. (I see that in another thread in this forum today, someone suggests a similar approach to writing a dissertation.*) In this case, there's also -- I think -- less risk of inadvertent plagiarism.

*http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13729&start=15
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'