Stuck with "pieces"

-a
-andrew-
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:16 pm Post

Hi everyone,

After another half-year of procrastination, I'm sharpening my pencil again.

So... I have a general concept, but what I have to date, rather than a bunch of writing, are a bunch of notes - about scenes, people, etc...

I have two main puzzles:
1) Whether I should continue "filling in the pieces" with the notes

and

2) The struggle I'm having with visualizing everything as a movie rather than a novel, and not knowing in which direction I should go.

Never written a book before so it feels like not knowing "the rules", if there is such a thing, might be causing me to put off continuing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tw
Twolane
Platform: Windows

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:39 pm Post

Rules? There are no rules. You might want to consider learning novel structure. If you don't know structure, it will take forever to write a novel. Now, some will tell you that structure is too "formulaic" for them and it would never work. Sadly, if one doesn't know structure to begin with, how would one know whether it would work, or not?

Take a house, for example. Will it have a basement? Or no basement. All on one floor? Two floors perhaps. How many bedrooms? Bedrooms on the main floor, or two flights up to the third? Will the master be on the second? One must take what one wants, use it to build the house the way you want it, and live in house harmony.

See how "formulaic" that is? If you don't know the design of the house you want to build, how will you construct it? By the same token, if you don't know novel structure or how to make use of it and discard that which you don't want or doesn't apply, how ever will you write a novel?

I, and many others, recommend Save The Cat! Writes a Novel, by Jessica Brody. Also, Super Structure, by James Scott Bell. It is short and to the point.

-a
-andrew-

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:06 pm Post

Thanks!

"I, and many others, recommend Save The Cat! Writes a Novel, by Jessica Brody. Also, Super Structure, by James Scott Bell. It is short and to the point."

Tw
Twolane
Platform: Windows

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:00 am Post

If I might take a moment to add...

I recommend Brody's Save The Cat! Writes a Novel in the softcover print edition. I'm pretty certain you will be thumbing through it frantically, and it's much better to have a hard copy in order to do that. Bookmarks? Post-it notes work for me.

Super Structure comes in digital. It's short and to the point, and doesn't need a hard copy.

-a
-andrew-

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:20 am Post

Hmmm... interesting.

Thanks for the recommendation -

I actually just got the audio book (free) because of our Amazon subscription; I was about to get the Kindle version, too, so I could read at night as well, and bookmark it.

I do like the physicality of books, though.

Dang... decisions... :)

Twolane wrote:If I might take a moment to add...

I recommend Brody's Save The Cat! Writes a Novel in the softcover print edition. I'm pretty certain you will be thumbing through it frantically, and it's much better to have a hard copy in order to do that. Bookmarks? Post-it notes work for me.

Super Structure comes in digital. It's short and to the point, and doesn't need a hard copy.