Page 2 of 2

Re: Who's a writer ?

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:25 am
by Gerard
I write film reviews for various websites. That makes me a writer, right? :mrgreen:

Re: Who's a writer ?

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:33 am
by pigfender
The fine line between philosophy and semantics.
We can define words as we choose. To say "I am a writer" to me says that RIGHT NOW in this point of your life, your number one focus and priority is in writing.

That's it. A simple present tense declaration of focus, independent of quality, quantity, payment, publishability or other markers of status.

In this frame of reference, it's perhaps a more impressive claim to be able to say "I have written".

Re: Who's a writer ?

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:18 am
by Fluff
pigfender wrote: "I have written".
...therefore I am.

Fluff

Re: Who's a writer ?

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm
by nom
Fluff wrote:
pigfender wrote: I have written
...therefore I am

…a writer

Re: Who's a writer ?

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:36 pm
by pigfender
nom wrote:
Fluff wrote:
pigfender wrote: I have written
...therefore I am

…a writer

...with a past

Re: Who's a writer ?

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:26 am
by mamasboo
Ugh I hate this whole thing about who is and is not a "writer." It's so very snobby. Who is anyone to tell anyone what they are or not? Harper Lee published one book, was she a writer? The same as say someone who has published dozens?

Van Gogh never sold a painting in his life; was he a painter? Was he an artist?

It doesn't and *can't* come down to what others think or what you've sold or published. A person can write dozens of books and never seek publication and be a writer. They can love writing and live writing more than another person who was on the bestseller list for years.

How can we even say if someone doesn't finish a book (or whatever) they're *not* a writer? What are we talking about when we use the word "writer", anyway? Do we mean author? Do we mean commercially successful? Do we mean professional (as in: amateurs aren't writers?)

You're a writer if you feel you are. If you write, you're a writer. If you pursue writing, you're a writer. There are so many reasons to call oneself a writer.

Some love writing and want to do it constantly. Some want to write for fame and fortune. Some write because they can't not write. Some write because it is therapeutic. Some write because they're great at it but don't necessarily love it. Some write because they fell into writing work and it pays. Some write to escape. Some write books, others write short stories, articles, ad copy, poems, scripts. Some write technical and how to manuals. Some write journals.

Are any of these NOT writers? If you think so, why? And where'd you get the criteria you've chosen to believe describes a writer? And once you've done that, why do you feel the need to put people into little boxes and decide for them what they are?

I say you're a writer if you say you're a writer. If you feel you're one and you're writing some way, some how, whether you share your writing with the world or keep it all to yourself.

Re: Who's a writer ?

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:25 pm
by marcoiac
In the unforgettable words of Henry Chinaski:

There’s no way I can stop writing, it’s a form of insanity

:D

Best definition ever