Greetings from DETROIT MICHIGAN

Ah
Ahab

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:07 pm Post

Fluff--

Perhaps Mr. D et al merely mean(s) that vampires and werewolves and bogeys, oh my, have fallen into the genre known as Desperately Overpublished, and discerning editors are beginning to reject them even when they're not half bad.

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:15 pm Post

Ahab,
Your sensitive and diplomatic post, only throws into stark relief, the, lack of tact, diplomacy, courtesy, and welcome for a new member, in Druid's post. He's even disdainful of faculty members and heaps scorn on them and accuses them of what looks like, throwing in the towel, when it comes to fighting for the rights of their fellow men and women.

An awful lot of Scriv's crew members, write in the Fantasy/SciFi genre.

It would have mitigated the impact of his insulting behaviour, had he actually answered yes to the question, "Are you writing something like that?" He answers, "No, but I wish you would," :shock:

Also, a, "Welcome to Scriv, Miss J", would, I suspect , have been very well received, and appreciated.

Your tact and diplomacy is appreciated, Ahab
Take care
Fluff.
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:52 am Post

Dear Perry, Fluff, Vic, et als.

Sorry to have offended. My remarks were offhand and not intended to draw blood from anyone.

The genre of urban fantasy is well established, and some of the leaders are Jim Butcher (Chicago) and Mercedes Lackey (Velgarth). Perry might find this article helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_fantasy

The genre I was describing, too briefly, is known as true-crime or literary nonfiction. It's harder to create and thus less popular. I'm sorry if that sounds elitist, but any publisher will verify.

One of my disadvantages in the forum is a lack of interest in pop culture or genre fiction. In the future, I'll keep my opinions to myself. I have stopped commenting on new writers' prose, so that's some relief provided.

ce
cece

Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:55 pm Post

No worries, gentlemen--these days anyone can publish as they please via Amazon.com.

(More writers than readers, true, but c'est la vie, especially among those who write for love, not lucre.)

And while impatiently waiting to hit the Kindle download on the new Jim Butcher at 12: 01 am on 7/26,
allow me to suggest that your discussion is moot, because vampires and werewolves are Out.

Mermaids are In:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news ... lash_n.htm

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:31 pm Post

cece wrote:Mermaids are In:
They've always been in. Vic-k married one, forty years ago.

Oopss sorry :oops: :( I am silly. I thought you said MIlkmaid
Sorry,
Fluff :oops:
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

pe
perryw
Platform: Windows

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:20 pm Post

Not offended at all. My question was genuine.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:50 pm Post

cece wrote:Mermaids are In:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news ... lash_n.htm

Don't believe that! :shock: Just can't buy in to it! :? Something fishy about the whole deal :(
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.