I'm not a writer - I'm a comedian

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:50 pm Post

DoctorOwl wrote:How do you rate your stuff with stars? I couldn't see where to do that.

Alternative ... use the labels facility in the inspector. Edit the labels with asterisks instead of text, and set the colour coding -- double-click on the coloured square and choose your colour from the colour-thingie that comes up. By that means you could use different basic colours ... yellow, red, green, blue to indicate different types of material ... sexy, political, mother-in-law (I know, I know ... just using that as an example ... don't get all politically-correct on me!) etc. or some other classification, and use intensity of colour to indicate star-rating.

Turn on "Tint Icons with Label Colour" and once you've got the system fully internalised, you'll be able to see at a glance in the binder what sort of material each document is from the binder without having to look at the document itself.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

PJ
PJS
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:07 pm Post

Doc --

My earlier posts notwithstanding, I did know what you meant. One of my sons (the upright, responsible one) also does stand-up comedy; I asked how he keeps track of material. His answer, in brief, is that he files each bit separately, in one of a limited number of categories, including "MISC." When he's putting together material for a gig, he pulls out items using a key word search, to suit either the audience or his own mood of the moment. He doesn't bother with a rating system, arguing that what seems funny today may bomb next week, and different audiences laugh at different stuff anyway.

ps
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:52 am Post

DoctorOwl wrote:How do you rate your stuff with stars? I couldn't see where to do that. Also, I couldn't option-drag to created linked duplicated entries (which is something I've been trying to do for ages ... I see I can Command-D to duplicate, but option drag just does a normal drag).

Yes, Jaysen is right: I meant to place the asterisks at the head of the item name:

***dog bites man
****man bites dog

And then manually sort them, but Mark's suggestion of colored labels is better.

Option-drag is for selecting chunks of text within an item and dragging the chunks into the Binder. That creates a new item, named with the leading words of the chunk, but you may select and revise that name. That's a quick way to take a large set of jokes and break them into parts, without destroying the original file. You may also duplicate your main file and use Cmd-K to split up its parts.

Sorry that I wasn't clear. Hope you get more good suggestions from others.

Br
Broken Thought
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:54 am Post

The way I would do it, is have a different file for each joke or skit. That would be great for moving stuff around as you want to preform it.

If you just doing open mic open five minute segments, there might not be much room for transitional material.

I remember seeing a interview with George Carlin were he said when he was younger he was a comedian that wrote his own material, but when he was older that he was a writer that preformed his own material.

Not sure if I helped any, but that would be where I would start. Good luck.