Page 18 of 20

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 pm
by Floss
Now all I have to do is find the time, motivation and inspiration to do so.

time - well, that,s your problem.

motivation - i even underlined it and put it in bold. sheesh.
and trust me, the speed with which you went from your first thought to your second thought is a very good sign. hell, you might even be a writer with thick skin like that.

inspiration - this is in exactly the same place it was before.

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:36 pm
by Floss
and for the avoidance of doubt, i have never been to stockport.

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:45 pm
by vic-k
Floss wrote:and for the avoidance of doubt, i have never been to stockport.
Smartarsed mousehound!! pfffrrrrttt!!!!

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 pm
by Viking
Floss wrote:motivation - i even underlined it and put it in bold. sheesh.
and trust me, the speed with which you went from your first thought to your second thought is a very good sign. hell, you might even be a writer with thick skin like that.

Well, there was a couple of minutes spent re-reading, re-re-reading and digesting your reply between the two.

I've had people read my work and say "This is really good. You should get it published." But they're not professional editors and they could just be saying nice things... (I presume that you are a professional editor, going by what Nom said.) Having you say the same thing carries a lot more weight.

Floss wrote:inspiration - this is in exactly the same place it was before.

:roll: Now, if only I could remember where that was!

Thank you again for your feedback.

Cheers,
V

To Nom, Jaysen and Fluff - many thanks for your advice and encouragement. It goes a long way to give me more motivation.

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:58 pm
by Jaysen
Viking wrote:To Nom, Jaysen and Fluff - many thanks for your advice and encouragement. It goes a long way to give me more motivation.

So here a point that I'm not sure everyone "gets"; writing can be like any other hobby, something you do with no expectation of compensation (paycheck). I figure I will never get published, but I still write things just to clear my head (or the fragments of my head). As such I do strive for excellence but I do not strive for "publishable quality".

What's my point?

If you expect/want to make money via your writing, dig deep, find your motivation and follow Floss' advice. If you are doing this for fun, with no expectation, then Floss has actually validated your successful writing. It is all in what you intend to receive from your writing.

Either way, you are well on your way to success. You should be riding the wave into your next step be it revision/rewrite or moving on to your next project.

Hope that makes sense.

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:26 pm
by Floss
animals outside of the industry often confuse the profession of editor with that of proofreader.
the role of the editor is far less about grammar and punctuation and much more about removing the bits that don,t work, suggesting additions and improvements and generally giving advice on how to ,tighten, a piece of writing.

i use a pen with red ink. i do not own a green pen.

if a book needs proofreading, it,s unlikely to make it to a professional editor. that i did not give a proofreader,s advice, but an editor,s, should tell you that with the right combination of dedication, hard work, ideas, timing, intelligent self-marketing, professionalism and luck you might get there.

now...

1 - take a deep breath.

2 - re-read my post carefully. see where i said to delete these 623 words. note carefully that i only said that you needed to delete these 623. not every word you've written. just these 623.

3 - go back to your manuscript.
what is the next sentence.
there is a very good chance that you,ll find the inspiration right there.

this really is far more positivity and motivation than i can stand for one day. where is my scratching post.

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:27 pm
by Floss
also, what jaysen said.

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:33 pm
by Jaysen
Floss wrote:also, what jaysen said.

Are you feeling OK? You just agreed with me. Somewhere a pig has taken flight. A snowball is surviving in hades. A universe has ceased to exist.

You endanger us. I now fear you more than ever.

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:46 pm
by Juddbert
Jaysen wrote:
Floss wrote:also, what jaysen said.

Are you feeling OK? You just agreed with me. Somewhere a pig has taken flight. A snowball is surviving in hades. A universe has ceased to exist.

You endanger us. I now fear you more than ever.

You might get a'head!

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:59 pm
by Jaysen
Juddbert wrote:
Jaysen wrote:
Floss wrote:also, what jaysen said.

Are you feeling OK? You just agreed with me. Somewhere a pig has taken flight. A snowball is surviving in hades. A universe has ceased to exist.

You endanger us. I now fear you more than ever.

You might get a'head!

Your assumption is that a'head would be an improvement.

Could you imagine the resulting chaos if a brain were actually atop my stump?

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:51 pm
by Juddbert
Jaysen wrote:Your assumption is that a'head would be an improvement.

Could you imagine the resulting chaos if a brain were actually atop my stump?

Your assumption, vis à vis my assumption, is entirely erroneous. I had already imagined the said chaos—the resulting dread is still painfully percolating, in fractured crystalline globules, from every twisted, wretched fibre of my being. :shock:

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 pm
by Jaysen
Juddbert wrote:
Jaysen wrote:Your assumption is that a'head would be an improvement.

Could you imagine the resulting chaos if a brain were actually atop my stump?

Your assumption, vis à vis my assumption, is entirely erroneous. I had already imagined the said chaos—the resulting dread is still painfully percolating, in fractured crystalline globules, from every twisted, wretched fibre of my being. :shock:

You kind of deserve that.

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:10 pm
by Juddbert
Jaysen wrote:You kind of deserve that.

I know, I know.....even my ellipses don't know when to stop...... :oops:

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 pm
by Floss
<hides behind couch and waits for something to pounce on>

Re: How many fiction writers do we have here?

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:59 pm
by Floss
it,s been a while since anyone dared post here.

if you,re worried about being scratched i hereby promise not to comment on anything else anyone posts in the scrivenings section unless expressly invited by the author.

<wanders off to sulk>