Autobio in the Land of the Unexpected

Jo
Jonglin
Platform: Mac

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:23 am Post

I have just now joined because I am absolutely spitting chips - tearing my hair out - fit to be tied and generally very fed up! I'll be 80 years old in a couple of weeks and I've been writing my life story - from a village on the west coast of Ireland - through London and Sydney - and a little village on the east coast of the Pacific island of New Ireland - to this city of trouble and strife, Port Moresby. And today when I tried to open Scrivener to carry on writing I couldn't do it. I purchased it on Feb. 1st this year - have never been able to register it, though I've tried again and again. But it allowed me to carry on using it until today. Now it tells me that my trial period is over - but I've paid for it already!!!
So I've sent an email to the tech guys. It may be a couple of days before they get back to me and in the meantime nothing I try will give me access to all I've written in Scrivener. I'll keep on writing though - in Pages!
There now! I'm glad I've got that off my chest. If anyone out there reads this and is interested in autobiography I would be happy to share ideas, thoughts, etc.
Cheers all!
Jonglin

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:07 am Post

Jonglin wrote:I have just now joined because I am absolutely spitting chips - tearing my hair out - fit to be tied and generally very fed up! I'll be 80 years old in a couple of weeks and....
..... I would be happy to share ideas, thoughts, etc.
Cheers all!
Jonglin
Ok young Aengus, calm down, take a deep breath, count t' 100 :oops: oops! ... sorry! I meant 10, then breathe out slowly. Done? Good. Now foot the kettle in to the embers of the peat fire, and make a brew. Image
Then click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBGZQqRghrs
sit back and reminisce.

Before y' know it, all will be sorted. Oh aye, nearly f'got, Welcome aboard Scrivener. Jonglin (Aengus)
Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jo
Jonglin

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:44 pm Post

Is maith go lór atá sé - this has long been my party piece - except that I sing it.

vic-k

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:36 pm Post

Jonglin wrote:Is maith go lór atá sé - this has long been my party piece - except that I sing it.

Well, we can do that too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn6FwUtXhuc :wink:
Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jo
Jonglin

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:13 am Post

Thanks Vic - that's very nice. I hope that I will soon be able to use Scrivener again and that I will be able to make full use of what seems to be a wonderful programme. I have long had a compulsion to write and it seems to be getting stronger as I age - or should I say as I mature.
Jonglin

Jo
Jonglin

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:22 am Post

Wow! I've had 50 views! I don't blog or twit or use social media at all much, but I am intrigued by the possibilities of this site. However, for those who read my initial post - all is now well. My problem was that I could not access esellerate from this country and therefor all attempts to register Scrivener failed. I finally sent my registration details to my brother in England who accessed sellerate with no difficulty and retreived the necessary activation code.
I am not going to continue this topic. I want to start a new one. I'll call it Short Short Story Anyone? I am not interested in all the technical stuff that so many posts are concerned with - I just want to write - so I'd love to read posts and share with others who just like to write. My first post will be a short short story of no more than 300 words. Is this a good idea?

Sanguinius
Platform: Windows

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:18 am Post

Jonglin wrote:Wow! I've had 50 views! I don't blog or twit or use social media at all much, but I am intrigued by the possibilities of this site. However, for those who read my initial post - all is now well. My problem was that I could not access esellerate from this country and therefor all attempts to register Scrivener failed. I finally sent my registration details to my brother in England who accessed sellerate with no difficulty and retreived the necessary activation code.
I am not going to continue this topic. I want to start a new one. I'll call it Short Short Story Anyone? I am not interested in all the technical stuff that so many posts are concerned with - I just want to write - so I'd love to read posts and share with others who just like to write. My first post will be a short short story of no more than 300 words. Is this a good idea?

It's absolutely a good idea. If you have a story you need to tell and you want us to experience it, then by all means let us. And flash fiction ("short short"/0-500-ish words) is a really fun literature style, both to write in and to read (though it can sometimes be far harder to write a really good really short story than one that is longer).

Good to hear you got your registration problem sorted, too.

vic-k

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:58 pm Post

Sanguinius wrote:My first post will be a short short story of no more than 300 words. Is this a good idea?

Jon, I'd second everything that Sanguinius says about short stories. However, I wouldn't limit myself to 300 words. Obviously, if you can tell your tale in 300, and tell it well and make it entertaining, do so, but if it takes another 300+ words to meet the tell it well and make it entertaining criteria, it ain't no sin ... run with it!! :twisted:
Vic

Sanguinius
Platform: Windows

Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:13 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Sanguinius wrote:My first post will be a short short story of no more than 300 words. Is this a good idea?

Jon, I'd second everything that Sanguinius says about short stories. However, I wouldn't limit myself to 300 words. Obviously, if you can tell your tale in 300, and tell it well and make it entertaining, do so, but if it takes another 300+ words to meet the tell it well and make it entertaining criteria, it ain't no sin ... run with it!! :twisted:
Vic

I agree totally. I wasn't meaning to imply that a limit to flash fiction was necessary, just that they are fun (if sometimes more challenging) to write. Write what needs to be written.

vic-k

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:31 pm Post

Sanguinius wrote:just that they are fun (if sometimes more challenging) to write.

Sanguinius, now I see where you're coming from. I've just be acquainting myself with the world of flash. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=+flash+fiction&ia=about I'm wondering if flash is what Jon was referring to, all along. I'll look some more at the alternative universe of flash.
Take care
Vic