Published my first book with the help of Scrivener !

sa
saoir
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:23 pm Post

Hi all,

I've been hanging out here for a few months as I wrestled with the power of Scrivener to give me what I needed to write my first book. And it did exactly that.

I have now published my book on KDP http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRUN2BO

So MANY MANY thanks to you guys in Scrivener.

I still have work to do as I am not completely happy with how the KDP page looks and the pricing, but I hope I can iron out the wrinkles asap.
Howard Brittain

Author of just published "Vineyard"
An MI5/Thriller.
Blog

r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:01 pm Post

Congrats indeed!
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:30 am Post

Congratulations!
Complete and utter NOMsense.

sa
saoir

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:02 pm Post

Many thanks guys ..
Howard Brittain

An MI5/Thriller.
Blog

Ke
KeithAJessop
Platform: Windows

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:22 pm Post

Well done and congratulations!
"I find that most people know what a story is until they sit down to write one" - Flannery O'Connor

Br
Briar Kit

Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:33 pm Post

Congratulations and good luck.

I picked up Time's Arrow by Martin Amis the other day, but the clumsy error in the first sentence was enough to make me put the book down again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0099 ... e=UTF8&me=

All writers have personal preferences in terms of style, and all writers and publishers make errors (I even included a deliberate error in each chapter of my first novel to act as a series of 'clues' for super-observant readers), but numerous errors stop me in my tracks...if the writer and publisher haven't invested time in polishing the text, why should readers invest time in reading it?

I read the first few pages of Vineyard on Amazon. Its genre is outside of my interests (and its style is not one I am comfortable with...though I appreciate that I have only read a few pages; that I am probably not in the target demographic; and that my head is somewhat fuddled by post-operative pain and medication), but I can't help but wonder if readers might be lost for the want of guidance from a good proofreader or editor.

This is not a criticism of your storytelling abilities. It is an observation about the importance of proofreaders and editors (especially professional rather than amateur ones, though an amateur proofreader is often better than none at all). If writers cannot afford to have their entire texts proofread, even having the first chapter proofed can help them to be aware of the kind of mistakes they are making, and they can, in many circumstances, use search and replace to find repeated errors in chapters not checked by the proofreader. Plus, a 'clean' first chapter gives the writer a better chance of hooking the reader and reeling them in...something that matters with Amazon's Look Inside/Sample features.
Account closed January 2017

sa
saoir

Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:35 pm Post

Thanks Briar for your time and honest comments.
Howard Brittain

An MI5/Thriller.
Blog

Br
Briar Kit

Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:39 pm Post

saoir wrote:Thanks Briar for your time and honest comments.

I wish you every success.
Account closed January 2017