"You have that look about you."

Bl
Bluesman
Platform: Windows

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:28 am Post

In my Junior year, I spent six months in Florida as an exchange student and I made many friends there. After going back to the Netherlands and graduating there, I went back to my friends in Florida and hung out for another month or so to celebrate. The days were filled with sunshine, good friends, new adventures, live music, beautiful girls with a thing for guys from Europe and no obligations or commitments to anything. I don't think I ever had such a non-stop good time for such an extended period. I kept a journal with the most interesting events.

Towards the end of my stay there, I was hanging out with a friend at a bar at the beach. It was a friendly, laid-back atmosphere and people were walking around in flip-flops. We were just shooting the shit, playing shuffleboard and darts while drinking beer. It was almost like a private party; everyone talked with one another. At one point, I struck up a conversation with a random guy there. We talked about nothing in particular and I don't really remember the conversation, but at one point he asked me if I was a writer, completely out of the blue. I told him yes, I was working on a novel. I asked him why he thought that and he said I “had that look about me”.

Call me weird, but when something like that happens, well, maybe the universe is trying to tell me something. I mean, what are the chances of that happening? It really was a defining moment for me in some way.

After I came home, it really sunk in that this might be my calling. Writing is something I enjoy doing for hours on end and I find the process endlessly satisfying. Ever since that conversation, I started taking it a lot more seriously. It really made something click in me. I had been writing for years up until that point, but this made me want to fully embrace it. Nothing ever made more sense in my life.

Yes, I'm a writer. I'm a writer, goddammit.

I'll soon find out if I'm a good one, as I'm getting close to finishing my first novel.

Juddbert
Platform: Mac

Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 am Post

Good for you. I've waited over sixty years for that sort of epiphany and, though it eludes me still, I continue to live in hope... :)
Can't write right. Don't care neither. Er...either.

Scrivener 3.1.1 on macOS 10.14.
Occasional player of the old Scappleodium...

Bl
Bluesman
Platform: Windows

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:06 pm Post

Juddbert wrote:Good for you. I've waited over sixty years for that sort of epiphany and, though it eludes me still, I continue to live in hope... :)

Who knows, I just got lucky I guess... :)