Just finished ...

ch
charlie.stross
Platform: Mac

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:32 pm Post

Another novel completed: written in Scrivener from start to finish.

At least, a first draft (116,000 words). It's with my test readers right now. It definitely needs an edit-and-polish pass and some additional backfill scenes to support the climax, but it's substantially there.

Assuming my editors are happy with it once I've done the edit pass (in a couple of weeks) it'll be published by Ace (in the USA) and Orbit (in the UK) as "The Rhesus Chart" in July, 2014.

(I'm now officially on post-book vacation for a week or so :)

xiamenese

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:21 pm Post

Congratulations. I hope all goes smoothly and well from here on in ... but there's one thing you forgot to put in your posting ... "I couldn't have done it with so little stress/so easily/at all (take your pick!) without Scrivener! :lol:

Seriously, my hat will remain off to you for a long, long time!

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Hu
Hugh

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 am Post

Yes, congratulations. (August 2014 - do you have more already with your publishers for 2013?)
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:51 pm Post

Hugh wrote:do you have more already with your publishers for 2013?)
Yeah ChRLIE<---tch!tch!, look at that rubbish I've just typed! :oops: Charlie, I was wondering if 2014 was a typo. Seems a long time off.
Anyway, in the meantime, I've added The Atrocity Archives to my short list of books to buy...once I've depleted my stash of those already acquired (about six of 'em).

The three Bernard Samson Trilogies, by Len Deighton, are one of my more satisfying reading experiences, so I'm looking forward to TAA. Wonder if Bob and Bernie are soul mates :wink:

Congrats, Charlie, and enjoy your break.
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ch
charlie.stross

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:10 pm Post

Hugh wrote:(August 2014 - do you have more already with your publishers for 2013?)

Yup. "Neptune's Brood" (also written in Scrivener) is being typeset next month, for publication in July 2013 in the US and UK (Ace and Orbit again).

If you're in the UK, there's a ton more, though. My Merchant Princes series from Tor failed to launch in the UK before -- but we're trying again with a newly re-edited version, in three fat volumes (rather than six thin ones)! And some time in 2013 Titan Books will be publishing Cory Doctorow and my novel, "The Rapture of the Nerds". I get to have a year in which FIVE new titles with my name on the spine show up in the UK. (Fans self, tries to locate the fainting couch.)