Hooray, first fiction publication! Alongside a stellar crew.

RobHamm
Platform: Linux

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:25 am Post

So then, yeah... One of my stories is now in an anthology, The Crimson Pact volume 2, alongside writers who range from New York Times best-sellers all the way down to other newbies like myself. (I initially had a story accepted for volume 1, but it was a comedy, and not only did the anthology changed editors, but the whole project evolved into something darker, into which my funny story didn't fit. I've been told that this is not uncommon with anthologies. But I can file the serial numbers off the comedy and submit it elsewhere.)

Aaaaaand of course there are things I see in my story that I'm now cringing at, but doesn't that happen to everyone on occasion? But for the most part, I'm still happy with it.

Anyway, here's the promo blurb (and I'm bolding the reference to myself because I'm egotistical like that):
The Pact is back and the demons are as devious as ever in The Crimson Pact Volume 2. Read 28 original stories, many of which are sequels to the stories in volume 1. Suzzanne Myers’s powerful flash fiction piece, “Withered Tree” continues with the exceptional short story, “Seven Dogs.” Chanté McCoy’s, “Inside Monastic Walls” is followed by the literally gut-wrenching follow-up short story, “Body and Soul.” Rising star Patrick Tomlinson is back with “Monsters in the Closet” and the urban fantasy mayhem is off the charts in his, and many other stories, especially D. Robert Hamm’s “Karma.”

The demon bots strike again in EA Younker’s steampunk apocalypse tale, “Stand.” If you want more steampunk, you’ll enjoy Sarah Hans’ sequel about professor Campion, “A More Ideal Vessel,” and the steampunk Western featuring automaton horses, “Wayward Brother” by Elaine Blose.

Sarah Kanning’s character, Danielle, from “Hidden Collection” must deal with the lingering effects of being possessed by a demon in “Dark Archive.” There are also fascinating sequels from Gloria Weber, “Crimson Mail,” and Justin Swapp, “The Merging,” and new stories from Lester Smith, Kathryn McGee, Adam Israel, Valerie Dircks, T.S. Rhodes, Elizabeth Shack, Daniel Alonso, and Nayad Monroe.

“The Long Run” by Isaac Bell is an indirect sequel to “Stained with Nightmare Juice” and features the tireless John Oldshoe, who must help a black teenage girl discover her superpowers and defeat the demons infesting the dying heart of a crumbling city.

New York Times Bestselling author, and Campbell award nominee, Larry Correia presents a wildly entertaining and exclusive short story, “Son of Fire, Son of Thunder” co-authored by Steven Diamond, about an FBI paranormal investigator and a bad ass marine who knows the exact moment of his own death.

Travel to the alternate history Earth of the “Red Bandanna Boys” by Patrick M. Tracy and find out how ruthless you have to be to survive the slums of St. Nikolayev. Follow “The Trail of Blood” by Alex Haig, a horrifying Western about a bounty hunter who wants vengeance, not money. Hunt for Nazis in a disturbing 1950’s America in “Hunters Incorporated” by Kelly Swails. Patrol the steaming jungles of Vietnam with a squad of soldiers in Lon Prater’s “Last Rites in the Big Green Empty.” Then enter the mind of a godlike demon in Donald J. Bingle’s ambitions tale, “Dark Garden,” or visit the creepy shadow world created by Richard Lee Byers in “Light and Dark.”

View some of the 23+ one minute story trailers on The Crimson Pact YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCrimsonPact) to learn more, and most importantly . . . watch your back, the demons are coming.

Who would have thought that part of the secret to getting published was to actually, you know, finish and submit stuff? Even with encouragement from critically-acclaimed and award-winning author friends--one of whom lectures and/or rants at me about finishing and submitting, on average, about once a week--I still dragged my feet. Oh, I wrote a lot, and studied writing; I just didn't finish things most of the time. And when I did finish them, I didn't submit them. My excuse was, "I just don't have a submissive bone in my body." "Karma" is actually the fourth story I've completed and submitted anyplace. Now, however, I feel somewhat validated, and I think I can face up to the inevitable rejections a bit more easily.
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:04 am Post

Congrats, Rob! You know what they say about when you are running low on rejection slips in the outhouse. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 am Post

AmberV wrote:You know what they say about when you are running low on rejection slips in the outhouse.
Use the Guardian? :?
Fuff
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

robertdguthrie
Platform: Mac

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:31 pm Post

That's terrific news! Congratulations on the publication.

Ioa: What do they say?
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:30 pm Post

Bravo! Young Rob, bravo!
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

RobHamm
Platform: Linux

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:08 pm Post

Thank you all! And yeah--In addition to the above, Daily Science Fiction just accepted my story, "Are You There? Are You Safe? Is the Flock Safe?" (I wanted to call it, "The Language of Birds," but that's been taken. Many, many times, it seems.) That's two in a row!

And of course, for those who know me, it goes without saying that the above stories were written with Scrivener for Linux beta (with, occasionally, a scene or two in the Windows beta running in Wine, and perhaps a few lines in a hackintoshed virtual OS X machine, just so I could compare all three versions).
:-D
-Rob
An Experimental Life (my home page)
Read me at Daily Science Fiction
The Crimson Pact Anthology, volume 2
"This is an experimental life. Press any key to continue. Press any other key to explode."