Just published a Steampunk story written with Scrivener

Stuart Williams
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:08 pm Post

The online magazine SCIENCE FICTION FREEDOM has just published my Steampunk story 'GRAVSHIP TURBINIA' in their Steampunk Special Issue No. 5, September 2011.

And the whole story - some 8,200-odd words - was written entirely in Scrivener, which enabled me to work quickly and without distraction, a very enjoyable experience!

If you're not familiar with 'Steampunk', it's a sub-genre of both science fiction and historical, in as much as it involves the creation of worlds or 'alternate history' in which the Victorian era has taken a different turn due to more advanced technology arriving earlier, such as the use of airships, mechanical computers, steam-driven robots, electricity etc and/or historical characters doing different things than in our timeline.

GRAVSHIP TURBINIA is an entirely new alternate history story, starring Flight Lieutenant Sid “Pebbler” Webster of the Imperial Air Corps.

Webster is closely based on the real RFC/RAF test pilot of the same name, who is most famous for winning the 1927 Schneider Trophy flying a Supermarine S5 seaplane, an ancestor of the famous Spitfire fighter.

In the story I have placed him in 1897 rather than 1927, in a technologically very different British Empire where history has taken a few different turns than in our own timeline, and in which he has a pivotal mission to perform which does not turn out quite as expected.

In the story he also becomes involved with a number of real and remarkable historical characters who, in this case, take a rather different direction to what you may know of their real lives.

The fictional 'Turbinia' is inspired by the actual Victorian British steam ship, the first to be powered by a steam turbine engine. I’ll say no more as that would spoil the surprise…

The artwork accompanying GRAVSHIP TURBINIA is by artist and illustrator Jeremy McHugh.

To read GRAVSHIP TURBINIA and find out more about Science Fiction Freedom, which is a great showcase for writers and artists, you are welcome to read the 54-page issue 5 FREE of charge via the following link:

http://sffezine.blogspot.com

Li
LinnyP
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:52 am Post

Stuart, thanks for the quick definition of Steampunk, I actually wondered previously but never took the time to check. I also had a quick look at the eZine, beautiful artwork! Your story looked interesting, I had a quick skim but I haven't had to the chance to properly read it. Will do so in the next few days.

Take care,
Linny

Stuart Williams
Platform: Mac

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:58 pm Post

H Linny, Thanks for your interest, hope you have time to read the story - and the others in the issue, there are some good ones! Indeed, the art is superb, it never ceases to amaze me how much talent is out there.

Regards,

Stuart