My first ever novel!

ni
nikolasmason
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:38 am Post

I did it! After years and years of failures and giving up, I finally managed to write a full length novel!

FBI Agent Kyle Valentine is dead.

Agent 147 is born.

Giving up his life as an American citizen, Kyle joined a covert ops group based in Canada, taking on the identity of Agent 147. Tasked to track down a new deadly weapon, Kyle quickly learns that not everything is quite as it seems.

An ex-Soviet scientist has developed an acoustics device that drives anyone who hears it to extreme paranoia and hallucinations. In an attempt to recover the weapon, 147 gets a dose of the devices capabilities. Now forced to brave his hallucinations and his own insecurities, Agent 147 must stop the terrorists before the entire world is driven insane.

Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/Agent-147-Weaponized-Insanity-ebook/dp/B0057880A2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308716649&sr=1-1

Paperback:
http://www.amazon.com/Agent-147-Weaponized-Insanity-1/dp/1463563191/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1308716518&sr=8-7

I am beyond excited that it is finally published and available to the world. Though also pretty nervous since it is my first story.

How did everyone else feel when they published their first story? How did you advertise it?

Floss
Platform: Windows

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:56 am Post

Welcome to the forum, Nikolas.

Thanks for the heads up. I am a sucker for covert ops novels. They appeal to my darker sneakier side.

11 bucks is a bit steep though - not sure I can justify that much from the limited cash I can snag from the human's pockets.
i am happy to give feedback on short passages.

be warned, though. my feedback can be blunt... always well intentioned and aimed at helping you improve, but possibly more honest than you are used to.

as such, i will only chip in if directly invited.

Ra
Rayz

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:44 am Post

Congratulations! Good job! :D

I do agree with Floss though: eleven dollars may be a bit steep for a first-time Kindle publisher. I think you should be aiming for about half that.

And I wish I could help with the marketing side. Bit clueless on that front myself ... :oops:
As if I didn't talk enough: Dom on Writing

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:24 pm Post

nikolasmason wrote:I did it! After years and years of failures and giving up, I finally managed to write a full length novel!

Welcome aboard the dodgy old pirate tub, Scrivener, the scourge of the Seven Seas! :shock: WOT!, all right then, The Manchester Ship Canal?.
Anyway...wherever. You may(wil) regret joining the crew, and seek an, out. Don't bother, others have been trying for years...there aint one :(

I have to agree with Rayz and the mangy cat. Your aspirations to meggawongadom, may be a tad premature. For less than the £7.10p, you're asking for the Kindle version of, Agent 147 vic -k could pick up a brand new paperback copy, whilst pushing a trolly round Tesco/Walmart, of a, John Le Carre, Len Deighton, P D James, Patricia Cornwell, Michael Connelly, or any of the numerous other famous authors, even those in the many disparate genre.

Do yourself a favour Nic, and half the price of your Kindle version, at least. If 147 is any good, the benefit to be derived from positive word of mouth recommendation's will make up for any initial shortfall in your pecuniary expectations, I'm sure.
Hearty congratulations, Nic, well done
Fluff
Last edited by Fluff on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from Pangur ban's Astral iPad

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:42 pm Post

Indeed, follow the pricing advice of these chaps...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13853728
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

Fluff

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:19 pm Post

Right then young Nicholas! Two cats and a pig can't be wrong :wink: Get that price down to $4-$4.50,£2 £2.50 and I'll be downloading it on Vic-k's Kindle account. Leave it where it is? Then I wish you luck.But...
Take care
Fluff.

ni
nikolasmason

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:20 am Post

I took your advice everyone and lowered the Kindle edition down to just $4.99. Unfortunately on the print version I don't have that option right now.

Fluff

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:37 am Post

nikolasmason wrote: just $4.99.
Nik,
Your Kindle edition, is up @ $7 ($6.90) and over £4 at Amazon UK. That's to much to expect someone to fork out on an unknown author, even as a act of support and encouragement for a fellow Scriv crew member.

£4+ is too much to risk on the possibility of reading a chapter or two before realising it's wasted money.

You really should read this again: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13853728
If 147 is any good, what you want is, EXPOSURE! Look how low they charged. I wouldn't pay more than £2 £2.50. All the Scriveners' stuff I've downloaded (4+?) so far, are there for around £2 £2.50.

Think seriously about the rationale behind this marketing strategy.
Goodluck
Fluff

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:07 pm Post

Don't forget that (in the UK at least) Amazon is obliged to charge VAT on eBooks (unlilke their printed equivalents) which will be adding a additional 20% over whatever you put in.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

ni
nikolasmason

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:54 pm Post

Does $3.99 sound ok?

Fluff

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:15 pm Post

nikolasmason wrote:Does $3.99 sound ok?
I'll buy that! And I'll buy the ebook too :wink:

Agent-147-Weaponized-Insanity-ebook's synopsis presents an intriguing scenario. At that price , a guy boarding a plane at JFK/Manchester for Seattle/Tenerife looking for something to read en route, won't think twice about downloading 147, if it sounds like his kind of book. He can afford to download another at a similar with it.

In terms of e-publishing, we'll soon be facing a veritable tsunami of self-publishing authors, I think we can take that as a given. You need to attract as much attention now, before the full force of the first wave makes landfall. It would be a shame if a great tale goes ignored because of price.

$4 may not seem much recompense for all those years of effort and frustrated aspirations. The dividend will come when that guy boarding the plane from Seattle/Tenerife to JFK/Manchester, wonders if that Mason guy's next book is out there and he does a search of Kindle's Store. :wink:
I'm sure you've done the right thing, Nik.
I'm looking forward to reading your book.
Tons of luck with it :D
Fluff

P.S. Unfortunately, as yet, it's still up on Amazon UK as £4.26p instead of £2.48p

ni
nikolasmason

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:00 pm Post

Hah, yeah, I know, Amazon takes a really long time to let me adjust the price. As soon as I can, which should be sometime this evening, the price will be lowered to $3.99.

Fluff

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 pm Post

nikolasmason wrote:Hah, yeah, I know, Amazon takes a really long time to let me adjust the price. As soon as I can, which should be sometime this evening, the price will be lowered to $3.99.

Looking forward to reading 147! :D
Fluff

ni
nikolasmason

Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:32 am Post

Finally got the price changed!

Fluff

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:44 am Post

Gotchya!