I'm a translator!

ptram
Platform: Mac

Fri May 06, 2011 4:11 pm Post

OK,

The final draft of a complicate translation I've been working on for months has been delivered to the publisher. The book, with a wonderful cover, is already shown in the main onlne bookstores. I admit seeing one's own name in the frontespice is quite exciting. Next time, will it be the cover?

So, I'm no longer simply an odd technical translator, dealing all day long with ways of pushing buttons on some infernal electronic device. Now, I'm a philosophy translator, or - tout-court - a translator. If they sell me, they can attach me a pedigree :-)

Paolo

xiamenese

Fri May 06, 2011 4:36 pm Post

Congratulations Paolo ... from a semi-translator to a real translator!

Long may the credits come rolling in!

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Hu
Hugh

Fri May 06, 2011 4:44 pm Post

Well done, Paolo. I hope the royalties are good!
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri May 06, 2011 5:13 pm Post

Paolo,
Congratulazioni per il mio amico! :wink: :D

Hope you're not gonna become al posh 'n' aloof! :shock:
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ptram

Fri May 06, 2011 11:03 pm Post

Thank you, my friends!
Hugh, I'm sure that royalties for philosophy books will be HUGE. I expect HUGE sales.
Vic-k, you know, I'm a pop-star now! :-)

Cheers,
Paolo

garpu
Platform: Linux

Thu May 19, 2011 7:25 pm Post

Cool, congrats! In my (very) limited experience, good translation is an art form in itself.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

ptram

Fri May 20, 2011 8:48 am Post

Thanx, Garpu.

Well, in a translation the content is a matter of the author, but the language is something pertaining us, the translators. In Italian (as in French) there is a marked difference between /linguaggio/ (/language/ a word that in English could mean at the same time the articulation of the content and the language through which it is expressed) and /lingua/ (your native language, a distinction that in modern English is only preserved, if I'm not wrong, in the expresion "mother tongue").

In this particular case I had to work on several unpublished manuscript pages, written in a language that was not the native one of the author. In the end, while I had nothing to do with the content, I was the author of the "original" language it was first published. Any translator will have to translate my own translation :-)

Best, Paolo

vic-k

Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 pm Post

That all sounds a bit posh 'n' aloof t' me Paolo :?
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ptram

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:26 pm Post

Today, a six-column review appeared in one of the two main Italian newspapers. They don't even badmouth the translator, so I assume this is good. They also seem to have understood what the writer was saying, and this is good too :-)

Paolo

Hu
Hugh

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:51 am Post

Congratulations, Paolo. Reading translations, I've always thought that the power of the translator to enhance or ruin a piece of writing is immense. Clearly you've enhanced!

ptram wrote:They also seem to have understood what the writer was saying, and this is good too

:lol:
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

vic-k

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:56 pm Post

ptram wrote:Today, a six-column review appeared in one of the two main Italian newspapers. They don't even badmouth the translator, so I assume this is good. They also seem to have understood what the writer was saying, and this is good too
Seems as though you hit, 'top C',there, Paolo, il mio amico. :wink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2-4CGOv ... re=related
Vic

Le
Leonardo Wild

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 pm Post

Hi Paolo et al,

Congratulations! Any tips you may want to share with us on how you used Scrivener, what features, etc., in order to smoothen your workflow? I´m in the middle of a translation myself, actually, revising a translation which I had done as a first draft in word and finding Scrivener very helpful to organize the workflow. However, on a first day it took me a while to figure out what´s the most appropriate and I bet you probably have gathered enough experience to give us a few tips?

Saludos from Ecuador,

Leonardo