What templates do you want in Scrivener 2.0?

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 am Post

Another suggestion, and there are many on this forum who are even better equipped to do it than me, would be a lecture course template. The idea comes from a brief exchange with "rickdude" — in the best L&L forums tradition, somewhat off-topic! — on the "Index Card for iPad" thread
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8374
so I won't re-iterate my burblings on that.
However, I do think a template set up for lecture preparation would be a good idea. If I can find time, I'll try putting one together myself, but would welcome any suggestion from the other academics on the forum. The flow I have in mind is basic work done in Scrivener, then export set ups for the following two:
1 .scriv —> OPML —> OOPro —> Keynote for tarting up for presentation;
2 .scriv —> RTF —> wordprocessor/page-make-up program of choice.
A document template should be set up to ensure the simplicity of the first so that the data occurs in the right place on the basic Keynote format exported by OOPro.
It should include a document template for a bibliography that could be set up through the users bibliography software of choice ... not sure how this could be done ...
Perhaps it could include document template for assessments, though again I'm not sure how that could be done, given that people use many different approaches to assessment.
I don't know how PowerPoint would fit into my basic workflow for those who use that rather than Keynote. On the rare occasions when I am forced into PowerPoint, I set up the presentation in Keynote, export to .ppt and then spend a long time sorting out fonts, transitions etc. using OpenOffice.

Another thought is a translation template. Scrivener is an ideal environment for doing/editing translations. There are a number of us on the forum, I believe, doing such work, and I'd love to know, in particular, if any have found a good solution to building a glossary within a .scriv translation project. I confess to abject failure to do any such thing, and kick myself all the time when I have to refer yet again to an external dictionary for the umpteenth time for a given expression.

Mark

ri
rickdude

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:42 am Post

This isn't actually a request for a specific template, but an idea to make de facto templates possible. Often, the first time I realize what kind of template I want is when I've already written a piece of work of that type, so the usual way to make a template is to save an existing project as a template. The problem with that is that a new project made from that template contains all the text of the first project, which has to be deleted. If templates could instead come out with no text (or a couple of lines of lorem ipsum text if that's considered preferable), I think templates would be a bit more convenient.

Does this forum's attachment function handle Scrivener templates, or should we email them somewhere?

kirkesque

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:53 am Post

I agree with rickdude's proposal. Don't know if the proposal is possible, but the few minutes that would save would be wonderful.

ri
rickdude

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:02 am Post

One more idea: Ph.D./MA dissertation/thesis. I know there are lots of variations but the general schema is presumably fairly similar in most places:

Acknowledgements
List of Tables
List of Figures
Abstract
1. INTRODUCTION
1.1 Background
1.2 Context of the study
1.3 Research questions
1.4 Significance of the study
2. LITERATURE REVIEW
2.1. Introduction

3. CHAPTER 3

4. Chapter 4

5. Chapter 5

6. Chapter 6

APPENDICES
A.
B.
C.
D.

REFERENCES

Although I've owned a licence to Scrivener for a long time, I still don't consider myself very good at using it, so I'm not sure to what extent it would be sensible to plug all this in there from the start.

ri
rickdude

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:39 am Post

One more: Conference (Proposal)

The idea is that you keep together everything involved in preparing for a conference from the original call for papers through the submission of a proposal through reviewers' comments through the abstract/synopsis to be included in the conference program through hotel and travel info to (optionally) the text document that you create as the basis for a Keynote/PowerPoint presentation (if that's how you work). Arguably, if Xiamenese's lecture course template becomes a reality, there's some overlap there.

A provisional menu:

Call for Papers
Conference Website
Submission Instructions
Key Dates
Travel & Accommodation
Draft Proposal
Actual Proposal
Reviewers' Comments
Abstract/Synopsis for Conference Programme
Notes for actual presentation

Again, I'm not really sure to what extent it makes sense to include all of these in a template.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:34 am Post

Hi,

Many thanks for all the suggestions - there are some really great ones here. The lecture template is a good idea, and something Ioa and I were talking about only yesterday, so any guidance there would be great. I'll go through all the other suggestions in detail later, after my fourteen hours of coding for the day ( :) ), so please don't think I'm ignoring you by not discussing it here - I'm going to come back to all of this. I've spent the last couple of days tweaking some Scrivener features to make sure it can produce certain templates (such as a strong MLA and APA template format, and export to RTF using columns for certain scientific templates), so I'll be returning to actually building the rest of the templates over the weekend.

On this one:

rickdude wrote:This isn't actually a request for a specific template, but an idea to make de facto templates possible. Often, the first time I realize what kind of template I want is when I've already written a piece of work of that type, so the usual way to make a template is to save an existing project as a template. The problem with that is that a new project made from that template contains all the text of the first project, which has to be deleted. If templates could instead come out with no text (or a couple of lines of lorem ipsum text if that's considered preferable), I think templates would be a bit more convenient.

No, this isn't possible, and if you think about it you will soon realise why - how is Scrivener to know exactly which documents should have text in them and which shouldn't? How can it know which documents should be deleted? It's simply impossible without completely destroying the flexibility the current template system offers. However, Scrivener 2.0's Save As feature (finally!) and the fact that projects will remember their template descriptions when you use the Save As Template sheet, mean that template creation from an existing project will be easer in 2.0. Just Save As to make a copy of the project, then edit it down to contain only the elements you want for the template, then Save As Template.

Does this forum's attachment function handle Scrivener templates, or should we email them somewhere?

The forum should handle it fine - it might be best to upload as a zipped-up .scriv project, though, so that I can edit it into 2.0 format directly rather than have to save the template to my App Support folder first. Thanks!

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ri
rickdude

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:59 am Post

[quote="KB"]
No, this isn't possible, and if you think about it you will soon realise why - how is Scrivener to know exactly which documents [i]should[/i] have text in them and which shouldn't? How can it know which documents should be deleted? It's simply impossible without completely destroying the flexibility the current template system offers. However, Scrivener 2.0's Save As feature (finally!) and the fact that projects will remember their template descriptions when you use the Save As Template sheet, mean that template creation from an existing project will be easer in 2.0. Just Save As to make a copy of the project, then edit it down to contain only the elements you want for the template, then Save As Template.
[/quote]

How about the creative approach of random deletions? No, but seriously, folks, the Save As method sounds perfectly fine.

And I just wanted to confirm: This template deal isn't a now-or-never thing, right? In other words, once 2.0 is out with a limited selection of templates, can we assume you'll still be open to new template requests?

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:47 am Post

rickdude wrote:And I just wanted to confirm: This template deal isn't a now-or-never thing, right? In other words, once 2.0 is out with a limited selection of templates, can we assume you'll still be open to new template requests?

No, that's going to be it. I'm going to refuse to add any more templates ever and I'm going to delete all ways of making them yourselves, so speak now, buhahah etc. :) Er... No, of course I'll still be receptive to new ideas for templates after 2.0 is out. The new templates chooser, and templates creator for that matter, is much easier to use:

So with these improvements I'm hoping that more users will see the possibilities and that we can start building up a greater selection of templates as time goes on. I just want to make sure that we have a strong selection for release so that we have no categories sparse or blank (obviously the "Poetry & Lyrics" category is a little optimistic :) ).

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Simon T
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:44 pm Post

I would like to see no additional templates included - and I'm serious here. Won't all this just bloat the application?

By all means, create templates or modules that can be added as necessary. But surely users should be responsible for creating some of these? Indeed, why are you including these for free? Why not make them paid-for extras, since they seem to involve a lot of extra work. Use the additional revenue generated from selling templates to lawyers, business writers and religious preachers to reduce the upgrade price for us struggling novelists :)

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:14 pm Post

The upgrade price is already pretty cheap, even by struggling novelist standards. :)

The reason I'm creating these templates is user demand. A lot of academic users come to Scrivener and are put off that all the provided templates are for fiction or scriptwriting, and out-of-the-box templates are a good draw for new users. Templates allow new users to see just what Scrivener can do without having to poke around looking in all the menus, and potential users could easily think that Scrivener isn't capable of, say, generating an MLA-formatted essay, and so move onto different software, when in fact Scrivener is very flexible and can cope with a lot of different formats.

Best,
Keith

Ap
Apollo16

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:26 pm Post

[quote="KB"]The reason I'm creating these templates is user demand. A lot of academic users come to Scrivener and are put off that all the provided templates are for fiction or scriptwriting, and out-of-the-box templates are a good draw for new users.[/quote]

This is very true. I do a lot of shilling for Scrivener and my academic friends tend to be concrete thinkers and like examples. We even discussed this in the Scrivener thread at NaNoWriMo and these people are novelists!!

Apollo16

Lord Lightning

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:46 am Post

Hi Edward Anton. I have whizzed up a Sermon Development Template

DELETED BY LL
Last edited by Lord Lightning on Sun May 15, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lord Lightning

Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:55 am Post

After v2 is released in a few weeks I will post an award winning PhD template

DELETED BY LL
Last edited by Lord Lightning on Sun May 15, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Be
Beyo

Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:02 pm Post

Hello, I know template submission is closed so maybe for future releases:

1. Some template for writing collection of minutes. Something similar to latex package minutes ( documentation on CTAN)

2. Maybe something for writing exams,there is latex exam class which fits often well in my needs,but using scrivener as binder with all my physics exersizes from which I could create many exams ( albo with random select) would be nice.

3. Ok this is not template question but..is it possible to implement to scrivener some form of cooperation with Evernote?

4. When you write lot of maths perhaps Scrivener is not the best tool, sometimes however you need to put some formula in your document. Is it possible for Scrivener to accept LaTeX syntax and convert it to equation when exporting to pdf ? (using existing mactex installation on system)

bargonzo
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:28 pm Post

I see MLA and APA templates, which is great! Any chance of putting in a Chicago Style one?