What templates do you want in Scrivener 2.0?

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:57 pm Post

SusM - there's already a template for BBC radio scene style in Scrivener 1.x (which will be in 2.0 as well), based on the exact template you linked to. :)

Many thanks for all the suggestions so far. As I said in my first post, I'm afraid I'll only be able to follow up on ones that provide links to specifications or sample documents. The reason I'm asking here like this is because I'm assuming that you guys are the experts in your respective fields of writing, so I'm hoping that you will be able to give me details on what should go into a particular template. I'm afraid that just saying, "I'd like a template for such and such," while useful to know for the future, won't help me realise your suggestion in the short time before 2.0 is released, because I have no more idea what would go in such a template than anyone else.

So: Please only post here if you know exactly what should go in such a template and can either describe it in detail, send me a 1.x project as an example, or include links to specifications or sample documents. Feel free to start a separate thread in the Wish List section for more vague "I would like such-and-such-a-template" requests though.

Thanks!

Regarding document scripts and AV scripts, the problem with these is that they require columns, and Scrivener doesn't do columns. You could use a table for something like this, but it wouldn't be too pretty, I don't think. I'll take a look though.

Many thanks again and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

bj
bjzwriter

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:41 pm Post

@SusM

I like that template, thanks for sharing.

I don't remember seeing it in the templates section as KB indicated, however, I am still a noob and will have to look again.

Warm Regards,
Bryan

aj
ajks

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:43 pm Post

How about "massive, wild, vague, sprawling, disorganised, on-going, never-ending, life's work, magnum opus, research project"?

:)

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:01 pm Post

Bryan, make sure you install the Extras that come with Scrivener to get access to the BBC Radio Scene Style template (see the installation tutorial on http://www.literatureandlatte.com/videos if you don't know what I mean).

ajks - I could just bung my own pathetic scrawlings into a project and that one would be done. :)

Best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

kirkesque

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:28 pm Post

[quote="ajks"]How about "massive, wild, vague, sprawling, disorganised, on-going, never-ending, life's work, magnum opus, research project"?

:)[/quote]

That's called a blank document.

bj
bjzwriter

Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:09 am Post

[quote="KB"]Bryan, make sure you install the Extras that come with Scrivener to get access to the BBC Radio Scene Style template (see the installation tutorial on http://www.literatureandlatte.com/videos if you don't know what I mean).

ajks - I could just bung my own pathetic scrawlings into a project and that one would be done. :)

Best,
Keith[/quote]

Thanks Keith!

I found it and it looks like it will meet my needs.

Regards,
Bryan

Su
SusM

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:47 pm Post

[quote="KB"]SusM - there's already a template for BBC radio scene style in Scrivener 1.x (which will be in 2.0 as well),
Keith[/quote]

Gah, sorry, it wasn't on your list, I should have checked! ::)

ty
tyuk

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:39 pm Post

I'd like very much a ToDo list with dynamic hierarchical structure, please see details below.

1) Example: "character 1" and below "USA" and below "California" and so forth.

2) Every item of the ToDo list would be a link to a Scrivener folder or a Scrivener text.

3) Possibility of displaying a checkbox for every item or some kind of notice that "task" has been completed or not.

4) Possibility of MOVING the items in the list dragging them with the mouse.

Suggestion: please see TaskPaper application by Hogbay Software. The IDEAL (but just a dream, sorry) would be to implement TaskPaper into Scrivener. Well, you get the idea...

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:50 pm Post

Hi tyuk,

I think that falls outside the remit of a template, sorry. :)

Best,
Keith

ty
tyuk

Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:58 pm Post

[quote="KB"]Hi tyuk,
I think that falls outside the remit of a template, sorry. :)
Keith[/quote]

Hi Keith,

Yes indeed. I was just trying to make some suggestions for... Scrivener 3.

Thanks for replying anyway.
Best.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:19 pm Post

Anael made an interesting cookbook template for 1.x (here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1915&p=62930&hilit=cookbook#p62930 and his detailed blog post about it here http://scriptapart.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... cipe-book/) which I found really great to get some ideas going for one of my own. It's a bit outside the realm of traditional Scriv uses, but I find it a really great idea, and especially with the easy sync options coming with 2.0, I can see Scrivener being an excellent way to keep a big "recipe binder" and then sync recipes to the iPad or iPod for use in the kitchen.

If it's at all something you'd consider, I'd be happy to fix up and email you the template I've got going, based on Anael's. Mostly it's about starting out with the categories and template sheets in the binder, a rating system, some reference material like conversion charts and substitution lists for baking. (Heh, you could always send it out with your favorite writer-snack recipe, too...)

MM

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:35 pm Post

MM, that would be great, thank you. I was thinking about something like a recipe book for the "Miscellaneous" category of the templates, so this would be ideal.

Thanks again,
Keith

Ah
Ahab

Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:39 pm Post

Scrivener isn't meant as a recipe keeper; it's meant to be a writer's toolbox.

That being said, sifting through the new-books announcements in Publisher's Weekly, and through Books in Print, and strolling through pretty much any bookstore, anywhere, will show you about as many new cookbooks being published each year as novels. When you look at booksales histories, I'm willing to bet the average cookbook writer earns more per year than the average novelist--and I'll guarantee more writers are earning a significant portion of their livings from writing cookbooks than poetry

The cookbook template should be a worthwhile and interesting addition to the writer's toolbox mix--even if we don't all write cookbooks, we all probably, at some point, cook.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:04 pm Post

If Bill Shake Spear was around now rather than then, he`d be using it for this recipe:

In the poison'd entrails throw.—
Toad, that under cold stone,
Days and nights has thirty-one;
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot!
ALL. Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and caldron bubble.
2 WITCH. Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
3 WITCH. Scale of dragon; tooth of wolf;
Witches' mummy; maw and gulf
Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark;
Root of hemlock digg'd i the dark;
Liver of blaspheming Jew;
Gall of goat, and slips of yew
Sliver'd in the moon's eclipse;
Nose of Turk, and Tartar's lips;
Finger of birth-strangled babe
Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,—
Make the gruel thick and slab:
Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
For the ingrediants of our caldron.
2 WITCH. Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.
wouldn`t he
Vic

xiamenese

Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:33 am Post

Actually, a cookbook template is to the point. A couple of years ago, my wife was asked by a chef friend to help with a book he was writing — since published — for which the publishers/his agent had come up with an editor who, shall we say, wasn't really up to the job. I'm not sure what software my wife used, but it might have been Nisus Writer Express, or possibly NeoOffice. Anyway, it got published and was sufficiently successful for the publishers to propose that he write another.

At that time I was already a dedicated Scrivener user, and suggested she do the new one in Scriv. To that end, I took the previous manuscript, imported it and simply split it up as if it had been a .scriv project, so that she would be able to see how it would be so much easier to do and organise compared with NWE. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have gone any further; her friend had agreed that my wife should produce the manuscript, which wouldn't have needed so much work by the publishers' editor, but he got involved in too many other projects and simply seems to have forgotten about it.

A template for doing such work, with the new binder possibilities, would be great ... and as Ahab says, cookbooks are like mushrooms in the book market.

Mark