What templates do you want in Scrivener 2.0?

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:30 am Post

How would a Chicago style one work? Isn't that a style guide rather than an actual essay format?
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:02 am Post

[quote="Kevin"]How would a Chicago style one work? [/quote]

That`s how vic-k dresses up for The Red Lion`s annual Fancy Dress bash.
Fluff

Ro
RobertB

Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:23 pm Post

Keith,

I found this:

http://dabcc.nmsu.edu/info/labs/lab85/h ... cagop2.pdf

Basic Chicago Style Essay format.

shrumpkin

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:24 pm Post

Keith,

Could you please include the bibliography format for The Chicago Style, 16th edition? It's basically like MLA, but whereas the author and the page number (Williams, 20) are the proper way for in-text citations for MLA, Chicago uses the date; for example: (Williams, 2008) or if it is a specific citation that needs page numbers, (Williams, 2008, 99-100).

Seeing as this is VERY popular format for citations and bibliographies for essays, there should be copious notes on the Chicago format.

Thanks Keith for asking,

Michael

shrumpkin

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:26 pm Post

Robert B.'s link is a great reference for the Chicago essay format. Thanks Robert. Keith, please, please, please?

Thanks,

Michael

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:57 pm Post

Are citation styles something that a template would address though? Keeping in mind that templates are primarily Binder scaffolding with maybe some meta-data starters, some document architecture (like indent style and line spacing) and a compile set-up; I'm not sure how a citation standard is going to make up a template. That seems like something the author needs to do in their footnotes as they type them out, or via the assistance of a citation manager?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

pa
patlecat

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:59 pm Post

Actually what I'm missing right now are "Outline" and "Treatment" and I'm hoping for a "Poem" (maybe even a Haiku?) template too.

The Poem should just have tags for Title, Subtitle and Verse with maybe some different nice looking visual formatting. Hm and maybe a way to chose from a verse meter pattern, that's be awesome!
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meter_(poetry))

The Outline and Treatment should offer some tags for: Title, Subtitle, Authors, Date, Copyrights/IP, Narrative Text, Commentaries and Dialogs.
There can be many possible nice looking formatting styles, but I think the dialogs should format the same as in a script (tv or movie). There should be a 1,5 line spacing and margins similar to scripts and font sizes at 11 and 12.
Outline and Treatment usually differ only in length, but depending on the country the terms can be used with different meanings (e.g. swapped meaning for outline and treatment)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_treatment)

Sorry I don't have a "standardized link", I only have books and attended some seminars.
Last edited by patlecat on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pa
patlecat

Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:01 pm Post

[quote="Edward Anton"]It seems that Scrivener has found popularity among Mac toting ministers. It's been a great tool for my sermon development. While the workflow from biblical text to sermon varies, there is a fair amount of agreement about these steps (which I've used as a template for my personal workflow for writing sermons):
[/quote]

So your request is for "fiction templates" then? ;-)

xiamenese

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:53 pm Post

[quote="patlecat"][quote="Edward Anton"]It seems that Scrivener has found popularity among Mac toting ministers. It's been a great tool for my sermon development. While the workflow from biblical text to sermon varies, there is a fair amount of agreement about these steps (which I've used as a template for my personal workflow for writing sermons):
[/quote]

So your request is for "fiction templates" then? ;-)[/quote]
Hey, keep it clean! Such comments have no place in a Scrivener forum. You and I may not be believers, but the writing of sermons is a perfectly legitimate use of Scrivener.

Sean Coffee

Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:05 pm Post

I don't know if this is doable from a copyright standpoint, but awhile back I posted a Save The Cat template for Scrivener which divided the binder up into STC beats:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3661&p=28725&hilit=+Save+The+Cat#p28725

I don't personally use it, and I'm not in love with STC, but it's the kind of thing that might be useful for others.

xw
xwoker

Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:15 pm Post

Hi,

what about a Use Case Template for Software Development. I think Scrivener would make a great tool for this use case:
- Linking Use Cases
- Tagging with Level, Approval
- Keywords for Actors
- Gather/reference requirements

A template for Use Cases can be found at
http://alistair.cockburn.us/Use+case+fundamentals under the section "The Use Case Forms".

Christian (eagerly waiting for 2.0)

he
heyes

Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:24 am Post

[quote="Lord Lightning"]Hi Edward Anton. I have whizzed up a Sermon Development Template and after Keith releases version 2 in a few weeks I will post it for you. I can't post it at the moment - you know 'confidentiality' and all that stuff. But rest assured it is sitting on my computer ready to post. I will post it to the Templates Library: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1915

When it is ready you can open it as a Template then use it to develop your sermons. This template lists the items identified on the Scrivener site as desirable for a preacher to quickly construct a sermon. It can be added to as a Scrivener Document and then be re-saved as a more user friendly Template - under FILE > SAVE AS TEMPLATE.

Cheers[/quote]
Perfect timing.

Lord Lightning

Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:04 pm Post

DELETED
Last edited by Lord Lightning on Sun May 15, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:11 pm Post

Thanks! And yes eventually we intend to have a page with templates created by users as well as ones we've created that might be too obscure for general usage in the installation.

Try zipping the .scrivproject file up before uploading.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Lord Lightning

Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:39 am Post

The Sermon Template has been deleted
Last edited by Lord Lightning on Sun May 15, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.