Scrivener 2.0 - Coming Soon (No, Really)

Co
Cougar

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:29 pm Post

They day before my birthday as well! Happy birthday to us!

The Gods of Writing are both cruel and kind. Kind because of Scrivener 2.0, cruel because the month of November is essentially a forced NanoWriMo month for me, except that instead of writing a fun novel without care for quality, I must instead work on several academic papers, all of which require research and will be graded. Ah, grad school.

It is a love/hate relationship with the writing gods, to be sure.

Sh
ShellKay
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:16 am Post

I have been working on learning how to work with Scrivener in preparation of NaNoWriMo next month.
How different will 2.0 be for those of us who have a big learning curve when it comes to new writing programs?
Should I wait to familiarize myself with the program until I have the new version??

Thanks

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:37 am Post

Over in the Nanowrimo forum, Keith recommended familiarizing yourself with 1.54 while you wait for 2.0, and I'd second that. Conceptually, 2.0 is still the same Scrivener just...even more! even better! But the basic ideas of how things are connected, how you can break up text into easily-managed chunks, the beautiful integration of corkboard/outliner/editor, etc. are all things you can wrap your mind around in 1.54 and carry into 2.0. The interface might be a bit different--menus have apparently been way overhauled to make them more intuitive and cleaner (since the current 1.54 ones have just been built upon and built upon to reach a rather ungainly stage--and I say that in love)--so you probably don't want to spend time memorizing exactly where buttons and options are. Just focus on getting the gist of the program and the many things it can do (or get out of your way and not do). The tutorial's excellent to get you started, plus all the videos linked from the main Scrivener page.

Sh
ShellKay

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:04 am Post

Thank You!

Amaru

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:35 am Post

Ketih, Thank you. I've been using my iPad (with a keyboard) to write on the go. It is great to enter text, and I have been itching to test the folder synch in Scrivener 2.0.

ep
epo

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:53 am Post

[quote="atillathenun"]I sense a growing excitement. Perhaps some day I will be asked where I was on the day Scriv 2 was released.[/quote]
Why? Planning to rob a bank?

na
naquada

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:37 am Post

[quote="KB"]Official release date is now November 1st. We'll be releasing a public preview on Monday 25th October, though, so you'll be able to download and use it then. We just need the extra week for refinements to the project templates, updating the web store and making final refinements to the documentation.
All the best,
Keith[/quote]

excellent... baby will be here by 29th October... Scrivener by the 1st November... its a wonderful life!!!

Jaysen

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:33 pm Post

naquada: excellent... baby will be here by 29th October... Scrivener by the 1st November... its a wonderful life!!!

You ever dealt with the first one in the list before? If not talk to us agin in February.

KB
Site Admin

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:45 pm Post

An introductory video (mainly aimed at new users, but it does show 2.0 in action):

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/?p=171
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

he
heyes

Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:47 pm Post

I already really like what I'm seeing, can't wait to kick the tires on Monday.

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:09 pm Post

[quote="naquada"]baby will be here by 29th October... Scrivener by the 1st November...[/quote]

Naquada,
Naming your child Scrivener, will place your standing in the eyes of the rest of Scriv`s crew, on the bottom rung of the status ladder. Best carefully consider other options.
Take care
Fluff

na
naquada

Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:42 pm Post

fluff... it wont be called scrivener.. and I'm already on the bottom rung of the ladder I think ;) sorry :)

Jaysen... no... I know my times going to be diverted... I was more excited about two wonderful things.. obviously the first is far more exciting than the second.. but hey ;)

Jaysen

Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:08 pm Post

You do not want the word "exciting". You want "terrifying" or maybe "horrifying".

Then I am looking back from the teen years. Things may seem worse than they were, but Mrs suggests that I am right.

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:18 pm Post

[quote="naquada"]nd I'm already on the bottom rung of the ladder I think ;) sorry :)[/quote] Actually, the bottom rung is already occupied by, Wock`n`Jaysen. It really wouldn`t do to be on there with them. Nobody deserves that.

Will you be a new Mum, or Dad? Is this your first child?

If you want to get Vic-k all gooey-eyed, just ask him, when did he bond with his daughters. Two truly beautiful experiences. Then he`ll tell you, it all went pear-shaped, when they allied themselves with their mother, and became his, 'Financial Investment Advisors', and started to invest all his money in, 'Female Retail Therapy Emporia'.

Here`s wishing you a safe delivery (and if vic-k was writing this), a beautiful experience.
Good Luck`n` Best wishes,
Fluff
Attachments
flowers.gif
flowers.gif (3.51 KiB) Viewed 1253 times

na
naquada

Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:50 pm Post

fluff... new and proud daddy (to be)...! :)

and thank you :)