Scrivener 2.0 - Coming Soon (No, Really)

mx
mxleop

Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:11 pm Post

This is the first time ever in my life that I have waited with anticipation for the release of a computer program. I suppose I have graduated to official geekdom. Scrivner 2.0 will be my Diploma.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:21 pm Post

Not quite. Geekdom is when you lust for the new chipset that will be released 18 months from now.

You have progressed into a state known as "KB fandom". This state is much less offensive to everyone than geekdom. It is also much safer.

db
dberreby

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm Post

[quote="Jaysen"]Not quite. Geekdom is when you lust for the new chipset that will be released 18 months from now.

You have progressed into a state known as "KB fandom". This state is much less offensive to everyone than geekdom. It is also much safer.[/quote]

KB fandom indeed. Look forward to 2.0, Keith!

Thanks as ever for your hard and conscientious work,

David

Script-O-Matic

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:49 pm Post

Regarding 'Custom Icons' the blog post states:

"...by providing a way for you to assign custom icons to documents [...] you can easily set up other folders that you want in your projects and assign them meaningful icons [...] A number of default icons are provided with Scrivener, including the ones in the screenshots above."

Does this mean I can bring custom icons into Scrivener and then assign them to documents and folders, or that I select icons from the default set that is provided?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:52 pm Post

Script-O-Matic wrote:Does this mean I can bring custom icons into Scrivener and then assign them to documents and folders, or that I select icons from the default set that is provided?

It means both. :)

Actually it means all thrice, you missed one. It is possible to place icons into the project too, so that they can be viewed and shared by others. So you'll be able to import icons into "Scrivener", making them universally available to all of your projects, or have custom icons particular to a specific project, as well as have access to some handy presets.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Script-O-Matic

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:26 pm Post

Nicely done! Thanks...

Po
Potts
Platform: Mac

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:42 am Post

Has everyone seen this? -- a great review of Ver 2!

Mange

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:12 am Post

Scrivener won't be coming to the Commodore 64 any time soon? Oh, the horror! That's just as bad as it won't be coming to the iPad ...

As you can see I'm voicing my concern for the stuff that really matters ... ;-)

What I'm a bit surprised by though, on a more serious note, is that not more people raise their voices in exaltation over the fact that Scrivener will now export to Epub.

Maybe the ramifications are lost by some, but it actually means that everybodys novels can now be instantly published.
And everybody will learn that pagelayouts don't matter.

Kudos to Keith and the whole Literature and Latte factory for creating such a powerful piece of software and incorporating this big improvement (that is also beginning to pop up in more and more (wordprocessing-)programs).

I think Fluff says it best: Halleluja!

ba
barby

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:44 am Post

I am very happy the new version is coming out soon, can't wait to update my version with the new one! I simply love Scrivener, couldn't write on any different program!

I have one question though... Will it be possible to have different dictionaries than the English one? As well as, If you're using Word, you can set up an autocorrect for anything you need. When you have a letter with an accent, type is slightly differently - it should automatically replace it with the correct accented version. Will this feature be available in the new version?

I know the language and localization issue has been widely discussed over the board, but using the search menu I could not find any update. In case I didn't use it the correct way, apologies about that.

AndreasE

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:52 am Post

[quote="Mange"]What I'm a bit surprised by though, on a more serious note, is that not more people raise their voices in exaltation over the fact that Scrivener will now export to Epub.[/quote]

With Scriv 2.0 so many goodies come that it's hard to decide about what to freak out. So most of us stand paralyzed, I assume.

Mange

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:55 am Post

Andreas:

You are right.
It's like we're five again and the christmastree has so many gifts under it, so we don't know where to begin and we stand paralyzed.
:D

wr
writerboyontour

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:21 pm Post

Thank you so much for the hard work, Keith and Co. I love your software and have worked diligently on trying to get others to use it. If you see a number of sales coming from Seoul, South Korea, you will know who to thank.

I was wondering if the templates will still be usable in this version. You said major update, so I thought it was worth asking. Thanks for any response by anyone who has used 2.0.
Last edited by writerboyontour on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:40 pm Post

Thanks! The templates will still work, but you'll want to update them. The compile settings will get lost, and possibly a few other settings, but the project structure and so on will come along. But there is now a full-on Pages-style templates chooser, so you will want to update your templates and assign them to categories for ease of navigation.
Best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ca
Carradee

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:08 pm Post

[quote="KB"]there is now a full-on Pages-style templates chooser[/quote]

O.O

*stops moping over pending loss of compile settings*

*kicks self and reminds self that she likes shiny organizational methods TOO much and therefore tends to set up a bunch of conflicting ones and really needs to get her many conflicting systems in order*

O.O

KB
Site Admin

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:34 pm Post

The compile settings in 2.0 are much more advanced and flexible, so there was just no real way of translating the 1.x settings across.
Best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."