The status of the next update and 2.0

ptram
Platform: Mac

Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:33 pm Post

19.99$ would be alright. But 20$ seems to me to break an insurmountable barrier! However, I know I will pay it, because - despite being a marxist myself - I cannot retain from purchasing electronic gadgets and other songs of the capitalistic siren. You have me in you hands!

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:18 pm Post

Hey Droo,

If we can get everyone that vic-k has harassed to chip in a penny I bet we could get him an upgrade and have change left over for a pint in your neck of the woods.

Just called my local pizza shop.
Small pepperoni + 2 liter of soda $14.99
Small pepperoni + pitcher beer $21.99
Small pepperoni + pitcher soda $18.99

Near as I could tell from the high school kid on the phone (I actually know her as she is on the tennis team with daughditor) pitcher are "eat in" and taxed at a higher rate than eat out. I will need to triple check that. I know the owner so I will see if I can get to the bottom of it.

dh
dhruva

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:33 pm Post

Hey KB,

I wrote my whole goddamn thesis on Scrivener. And now that I'm almost officially a PhD, I think I can deal with the 20 bucks. Looking forward to all the bells and whistles in 2.0...
cheers

D

Ap
Apollo16

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:45 pm Post

I bought Scrivener a month ago and I have no problem giving you another $20. (Also... if you make it $19.99... I swear... I won't buy it! Take the #$%$ penny!!!)

Sign me as...

Apollo16 New User

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:47 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:If we can get everyone that vic-k has harassed to chip in a penny I bet we could get him an upgrade and have change left over for a pint in your neck of the woods.

With the vast sums that would accumulate, we could hire a ghost writer that would produce a tutorial for the tutorial for the manual that he seemingly requires!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:14 pm Post

Wow. Thank you all. I'm taken aback by the overwhelming support, really.

Happy New Year!
Keith

Amaru

Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:17 pm Post

Keith, Scrivener is a wonderful piece of software, and very useful in its current state. Yet, as any other app, it should provide timely updates to keep up with its user base, the changes in its niche market and the OS supporting it. As I user, I have been waiting a long time for the 1.5 upgrade; and as a developer, you have been working a long time as well. So, this is what I would like to propose:
1. Release soon a final 1.2 version, so we all can replace the beta we have been using for a long time.
2. Release within two or three months a 2.0 version. This would be a paid upgrade ($19 sounds more than fair). This version would include new features, but only those with which you feel comfortable in terms of usability and stability. There are a few strong reasons to have this earlier 2.0 version. You will get paid for your work sooner rather than later. You will receive some feedback--perhaps a lot of feedback--which you could use or ignore in the the following release. Finally, no matter how great your vision is for an app, it is not a good idea to work for too long without significant feedback from your user base.
3. Release later in 2009 a 2.2 version, which will include more functionality. This could be a free update, or, even, if it merits it, another paid update. Again, I am thinking that you need proper compensation for your work.

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:58 pm Post

Amber wrote:
"With the vast sums that would accumulate, we could hire a ghost writer that would produce a tutorial for the tutorial for the manual that he seemingly requires!"

You can joke young lady (oops sorry, 'My Lady'), but, once I get my head around that tutorial, there`ll be no holding me back. I could become, 'A Literary Force to be Reckoned With'

Nobody is allowed to say,"Yeah!! That`s what we`re feckin afraid of!! Y`re bad enough as it is!"
Take care.
A Happy New Year to All
Attachments
Unknown-4.gif
Unknown-4.gif (16.91 KiB) Viewed 2686 times

Jaysen

Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:20 pm Post

Actually vic-k, it is kind of what we are hoping for. Then you would not be here bothering all the ladies.

Ol
Oliver

Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:28 pm Post

I purchased Scrivener last spring. I found a review of the program somewhere while I was looking for a new computer to replace a 4-year-old laptop. The Mac-only fact of Scrivener influenced my purchase of an iMac. I'm a bit of a writing-program junkie, always looking for the one that perfectly fits my way of thinking. When I first looked at Scrivener, I was excited, but I found some aspects off-putting (though I can't remember which aspects these were) and continued to MS-Word my way through life even after I had purchased Scrivener. Then one day, probably just to freshen my thinking, I moved my files to Scrivener. I don't think I'll ever switch again, unless someone comes out with something more Scrivener-like than Scrivener itself. I haven't tapped into the full value of 1.11 yet, but I will for the next project.

The bottom line is that the program is well worth an upgrade price of $20.00.

Keep up the great work.

alexwein

Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:34 pm Post

Welcome, Oliver, both to the forum and the wonderful world of Scrivener and Macs! I have to grit my teeth every time I have to use Word, which is very seldom, and continue to find new things to love in Scrivener. And it will only continue to get better I'm sure!

Alexandria

JR
JRP

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:27 pm Post

I'm afraid I can't agree with all the love-in going on here about an paid update given the promises made before by the developer. I hate self-righteous sods who promise one thing and deliver another, who with one hand pander with empty promises to get my good will, then with other pick my pocket. Who rhapsodize about brilliant new features and then regurgitate stale old ones. Who whine about long hours, unexpected development delays, not being able to make a decent bloody living in this economy, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...what? This isn't? You sure, mate? Bloody f**kin' hell! Mmm...quite embarrassing really...thought this was a (Quicken for Mac, Nighthawk, Internet Explorer 8, StarCraft II) blog...

Carry on Keith. You have my total support and, of course, money backing you--for 2.0 and beyond.:-)

An
AndreasvanHaren

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:49 pm Post

Keith,
Do you have a release date for the 2.0?

André

Pl
Plette

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:10 pm Post

I can't believe you tried to apologise! You're too modest.

I'm adding another voice to the chorus of people who would cheerfully pay $20 for Scrivener 2.0, even if it had only a quarter of the new features you're discussing. And even if the price was twice that, I would still feel like I was making off like a bandit.

Lord Lightning

Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:15 am Post

Just slightly off topic - Oliver the later beta is a slicker version than the full 1.11.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3218