The status of the next update and 2.0

4m
4miler

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:57 pm Post

If Scrivener 2.0 is likely to be released on October 2010, shouldn't the beta's be ready for us to play with around about now? Or are we merely getting beta's in October 2010?

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:30 am Post

There will be no public beta of 2.0, sorry. Which isn't to say it won't be thoroughly tested, just that for this initial release I have a large private beta group. And there's no more room at the inn, I'm afraid - I already have more beta-testers than I know what to do with!
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:07 pm Post

[quote="KB"]I already have more beta-testers than I know what to do with![/quote]

Much beta too many testers than too few.

pa
pagardur

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:11 pm Post

[quote="vic-k"][quote="KB"]I already have more beta-testers than I know what to do with![/quote]

Much beta too many testers than too few.[/quote]

Beta save than sorry.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:49 pm Post

Oh God, please make it stop.

Actually, for the sake of transparency (that annoying political buzzword) and to ensure there's no resentment, I'll just explain how the private beta group got chosen (which is now about 100-strong, which is why I'm taking no more testers for now).

The beta group is made up of the following:

1) People who have been especially helpful in the past in helping me track down bugs. These are the very kind users who have not only sent me crash reports but also provided me with exhaustive steps of how to reproduce problems and tested out the fixes for me. Given that they have a track record of being good at finding bugs and, most importantly, at describing how to reproduce them, I asked many such users to join the beta list.

2) A number of regular forum members, many of whom helped beta test version 1.0, or forum users who have helped other users quite a lot. I'm bound to have missed several, though, so to those I'm sorry!

3) People who have e-mailed me and volunteered.

But, as I say, I'm not taking any more e-mail volunteers at the moment, sorry. I'll post here if I do require more beta-testers, but the best way of getting on the beta team in the future is just to be active and helpful on the forums, as I'm more likely to say "Yes" if I know your name or forum handle. The trouble with accepting unsolicited volunteers by e-mail is that it's impossible to tell which ones are going to make good beta-testers and which ones are - understandably, because I've certainly done this myself in the past - just trying to get an early copy of version 2.0. And I've been bitten by this last situation already, with one beta-tester writing me a rather rude e-mail telling me that he was fed up with crashes and glitches because he was a working writer and couldn't put up with such things, etc etc (which, of course, is the whole point of being a beta-tester, to put up with crashes and glitches and then actually tell me about them, so that other people don't have to).

I'll most likely revert to public beta-testing for point upgrades (2.0->2.1 and so on) again; it's just the initial release of 2.0 that I want to keep under wraps. The reasons for this, incidentally, are mainly: 1) I'd like to be able to release Scrivener 2.0 with a bit of a fanfare, rather than just letting it seep gently out there in the form of betas, which could give an unfavourable first impression if they are buggy; 2) You wouldn't believe the number of users I get who are experiencing problems, and it turns out they are still using a very early version of Scrivener. For this reason, I'd like to make sure that the earliest version used widely is as stable as can be.

All the best,
Keith

P.S. I'll have news on the free update period and so on when I get back from my holiday in Spain at the start of September. Actually, I'm getting a bit nervous about saying this. I keep saying, "When I get back all will be revealed" and so on, but I hate flying, so now I'm convinced that saying "I'll tell you when I get back..." is guaranteed to result in me dying in a plane crash. (I'm only writing this postscript in the hope that by writing down these fears it will make the crash less likely. And I'm not supposed to be superstitious.)

Br
Broken Thought
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 am Post

[quote="KB"]'m convinced that saying "I'll tell you when I get back..." is guaranteed to result in me dying in a plane crash.[/quote]

For God sake, man. Don't do that! We need you!

Lord Lightning

Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:17 am Post

Are you sure you're not Irish???

I'm sending my greenest and smartest leprechaun to watch over you - and he'll have a pot of gold for you when you get back. Cheeky tyke asked for twice the normal wage - two bottles of double malt.

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:08 am Post

My Lord!
Yet another alcohol addled brain aboard Scrivener?☹ Is that wise Sire?
Your servant
Fluff

Jaysen

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:39 pm Post

at least it is a brain -->

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:37 pm Post

Looks more like an officer of the Confederacy`s Greatcoat, to me.
Fluff

Lord Lightning

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:30 pm Post

[quote="Jaysen"]at least it is a brain -->[/quote]

Oi deespute tha'

But thanks for putting it in the present tense.

Wock

Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:32 pm Post

Imagine the guy who had to beta test the first Bazooka for the military.

(shiver)

Sa
Sam

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:25 pm Post

All this build up as we near the 2.0 release is rather exciting.

PJ
PJS

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:06 pm Post

Wock: "Imagine the guy who had to beta test the first Bazooka for the military."

... or the first parachute.

ps

Jaysen

Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:30 am Post

PJS: ... or the first parachute.

Bullet proof vest?