The status of the next update and 2.0

th
themakcompany

Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:32 pm Post

KB,

You've got my money!

As for page layout when it comes to the screenwriter who uses Final Draft...What exactly does page layout mean? Will the view of a page layout in Scrivener equal a page in Final Draft?

As always, thanks.

Michael

Sh
Shelby Sackowicz

Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:28 am Post

I think it is perfectly reasonable to charge properly for the next update. You deserve it for writing such a good piece of software.

HOWEVER...

Any chance you could include the 'print index cards' feature in the next smaller update. I've really been holding off for it as I need to get my cards off the screen and on to my wall to make some progress away from the computer.

I'm happy to trial the new function if you need a guinea pig to test the index card printing facility.

When do you think this function may be available?

Cheers

Shelby S

wr
writerboyontour

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:52 am Post

$20 is not a lot, but I did just get on board and now feel like the $35 (I am a teacher) just turned into $55. I think I may sit still on the update if there isn't a slightly cheaper price; did I mention I was a teacher? We are not rich.

Typo

Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:17 pm Post

In a way understand the feeling. I bought new Asics running shoes recently and just got to know that a new version of this series is about to ship in December. I should have waited another month or so. But still, I paid and got the shoes like advertised. All I need to do now is run. :)

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 am Post

Shelby - I'm afraid the print index cards won't be added to an earlier update, no. That was a major piece of code and is integrated into the new 2.0 print options, so it would be a big job incorporating it into 1.x, and all my time - aside from minor fixes and updates - is now going into 2.0.

writerboyontour - $55 is still cheaper than most of our competitors. :) I do sympathise (I was a teacher myself), but 2.0 won't be out for another six months, and the update isn't compulsory (although of course work will stop on 1.x when 2.0 is out, and 2.0 is bloomin' cool).

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

ja
jackl73

Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:37 pm Post

Keith,

I too will willing pay the $20 for an upgrade(actually I’d happily pay $50), but before the coding stops is it too late to ask for an improvement in the Import and Export functionality?

I collect lots of material, for articles or papers I am writing, in the Research area in Scrivener and this works fine for most files but I would love to be able store more types of files including: KeyNote, Pages, Numbers, PowerPoint and Excel files. Also could exporting be made easier by working as Drag and Drop, e.g. you pick up the file in the Research section and just drag it to the Desktop and Scrivener converts it to the original file format without having to use the Export menu. I often use a source file in different projects. You’ve probably thought of this already and have it working. Hope so.

Good luck with the next 6 months work. I’m much keener to see the 2.0 Version Scrivener than the ‘rumoured’ Tablet.

Thanks and regards, Jack

ta
tammycravit

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:14 pm Post

All I can say about the $20 upgrade price is this: If the improvement in my productivity as a writer by upgrading to 2.0 is even 10% of the improvement in productivity I saw from my Windows/Word to Mac/Scrivener switch, the $20 will be more than worth it. Scrivener has transformed my writing process/workflow and won me huge gains in productivity that I would not have expected, even after having watched the demo video and such prior to my purchase. If you look at each individual feature of Scrivener in isolation, it might seem like they give tiny incremental effects on productivity. But add up all of those incremental improvements, and you really get huge gains.

kewms

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:48 pm Post

[quote="tammycravit"]All I can say about the $20 upgrade price is this: If the improvement in my productivity as a writer by upgrading to 2.0 is even 10% of the improvement in productivity I saw from my Windows/Word to Mac/Scrivener switch, the $20 will be more than worth it. [/quote]

Uh, yeah.

Scrivener has probably given me $20 worth of enhanced productivity *in the last 24 hours.* It's one of the best values for the money that I've ever seen, in software or any other domain.

Katherine

kewms

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:49 pm Post

[quote="jackl73"]
I collect lots of material, for articles or papers I am writing, in the Research area in Scrivener and this works fine for most files but I would love to be able store more types of files including: KeyNote, Pages, Numbers, PowerPoint and Excel files. Also could exporting be made easier by working as Drag and Drop, e.g. you pick up the file in the Research section and just drag it to the Desktop and Scrivener converts it to the original file format without having to use the Export menu. I often use a source file in different projects. You’ve probably thought of this already and have it working. Hope so.[/quote]

You might have a look at DevonThink. In my experience, it's a much better general research repository than Scrivener. The two complement each other very well.

Katherine

JR
JRP

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:25 am Post

@Jack173, I agree with Katherine and have found DevonThink to be an excellent research repository for material I later use in articles, stories and books. The software is very stable, the AI feature is strong in terms of classifying, searching, and association. And, it is very customizable for users. (In addition, the developers are excellent and responsive, and the user forum is quite good.) I start my projects in DTPO; after culling the collected information, I simply transfer those files, graphics, etc., over to Scrivener. For material of secondary importance, I establish links in Scrivener to the DTPO and don't bother importing the information. As Katherine says, the two programs complement each other nicely.

JP

ptram

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:14 am Post

My way of using data repositories is this:

- general knowledge, to be used in several works, goes to a general data manager (that might be Devon, or in my case NoteBook);
- bibliography materials, that I organize though folders inside BibDesk (but might be any other bib manager);
- Scrivener's Research folder, used both to copy data already recollected in the above steps, both for materials that I will only use for the single work I'm dealing now.

Paolo

ja
jalpuna

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:26 am Post

I obviously want the update to be 1.5 rather than 2.0, but I have little doubt that it's worthy of a paid 2.0 update. And I'd probably buy it.

Maybe there could be a discount for those of us who previously purchased Scrivener?

Just a thought.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:28 am Post

Of course - as already explained up-thread, 1.x users won't have to pay full price - more like half price.
All the best,
Keith

Ke
Kendric

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:57 pm Post

Woo hoo!

(That's 'merican for "Jolly good show, old chap. What what!")

KB
Site Admin

Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:17 pm Post

(That's 'merican for "Jolly good show, old chap. What what!")

And what language is that? :)