Pimlicokid

Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:07 pm Post

Great, many thanks.
Buying now.
Pimlicokid

gr
greenmorpher

Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:12 am Post

I just saw suavito's picture -- and I want to warn other users that St Kilda Beach, if it is the one in Melbourne, Australia, is a very suss neighbourhood, replete with drug addicts, prostitutes and violent criminals. Also deadly spiders and head lice among the children.

You have been warned.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

Get "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" to deliver your words with real zing; and "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter" to learn to step safely in the publishing minefield. Amazon or http://www.worsleypress.com

su
suavito
Platform: Mac

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:07 pm Post

Jeeez, I didn't know that! I shouldn't have snatched that shirt from (Australian!) uncle Nick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MajmI5j7Bs&fmt=18

But at least, after all this time—and not only in this forum—somebody took notice of my avatar. Thanks, Geoff!

ja
jake1920

Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:28 pm Post

when is 2.0 coming out? (apologies if this has already been asked and answered, I didnt go through the 15 pages of comments ;)
If I buy the current version within X number of days of 2.0 coming out, will I get the upgrade free? (if so, what is the value of X?) :)
thanks.

JR
JRP

Sun May 03, 2009 5:26 pm Post

From what Keith has said on the forums previously, 2.0--which is a major, paid upgrade--won't be out until later in the year. The current 1.5x is the interim release that adds a couple of things and fixes a couple of things.

th
themakcompany

Tue May 05, 2009 4:14 am Post

Keith,

Glad to pay for the 2.0 when it's available. You do great work!

Cheers,

Michael

Sc
ScrivFan

Fri May 08, 2009 5:13 am Post

If you want to start taking advance upgrade payment, I'd agree.
You are doing magnificent and very valuable work. Many people are very grateful, including me.

th
themakcompany

Fri May 08, 2009 6:04 pm Post

Glad to pay. You deserve it. Your response time on questions alone is worth the price.

Best,
Michael

Guido

Thu May 28, 2009 1:20 am Post

There's no question for me that I will gladly pay the upgrade fee for 2.0. Scrivener rocks!

sa
sachinwalia

Thu May 28, 2009 3:17 am Post

Hey Keith is there any possibility if you can let us know tidbits about what's coming in 2.0. I am sure everybody have very high expectation but it is good to know from the maker what he is planning or at least already implemented.

KB
Site Admin

Thu May 28, 2009 8:34 am Post

Many thanks Guido and others for the support and kind words.

sachinwalla - some features have been mentioned here and there and there was a post about it on my blog back when it was still going to be 1.5; however, I'll release more information nearer the time of release. I don't want to say too much right now as things are still getting changed all the time and there is still a lot to do. I should address many of the main issues users have had with Scrivener, add or refine several of the most-wanted features (but not all - there'll be no timeline and no user-definable outline columns), and will be mostly an evolution and refinement. But I'll be more specific in the couple of months leading up to the release, which isn't slated until the end of the year.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Sa
Sam

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:30 am Post

Sounds good, Keith. A few questions though:

Will there be a timeline or user-definable outline columns?

And when is the next release slated for? Could you be more specific in the couple of months leading up to it?

What follows is my feature request for version 2.0. I know it's a bit late to throw in my two cents, but I make a really strong case and I implore you to hear me out. The inclusion of this feature is something I think will make Scrivener the killer app we all know it can be.

Let's see... how to describe it? While scribbling a few notes on a legal pad it struck me that the way we perceive text—the way we interact with text—is all based on the very ancient paradigm of script on paper, type on paper, blood on paper, etc. So I had a (some would say) brilliant idea.

What if Scrivener included a window or section of a window wherein rests a blinking line or 'cursor' that represented an insertion point for text: letters, numbers and symbols that appear on the screen as the user types the corresponding keys on his keyboard. For example, say you wished to type the word 'mayonnaise'. You'd press the m key, the a key, the y key, the o key, the n key—and here's the tricky part—the n key AGAIN, the a key, the i key, and then you'd probably grow weary and require a glass of milk to reinvigorate you.

But that's where this feature really shines. Say you get up from your desk, retrieve a glass of milk, take a sip, spit it out upon realizing it expired years ago, take another sip, fight the urge to vomit, remind yourself to buy a new carton of milk, lose the fight to the urge to vomit, then return to your unfinished 'mayonnai' only to find it hasn't been altered a bit. It's sitting there just as you left it, with the cursor blinking readily at you like a wee rigid god who can't decide whether he exists or not.

And it wouldn't stop there. Say you add an 'se' to the end of your word and then hit the space bar. Why, you could write another word, and then another. Maybe a whole sentence. A paragraph even! Two paragraphs! Okay, maybe two paragraphs is a bit ambitious, but you get the idea. A person who wanted to form thoughts with words could type them into his computer keyboard and they would appear on the screen as though he were physically engraving them into stone with each button press. It would be the greatest thing to happen to the writing world since Police Academy star Steve Guttenberg invented the Bible.

I know that the inclusion of this feature may delay Scrivener's release, but don't you agree it would be worth it? Think of the paper we would save if such a program existed. Think of the size of the bonfire we could cultivate with all the saved paper!

Don't get me wrong—I love Scrivener in its current iteration. The splash screen that comes up with the four icons and the picture of the pen and book on the left is well worth the price of admission. Oh, and the words, the words that appear down the right hand side of the window... Well, I'm sure they say something lovely, but the truth is, I can't read. Still, they're very pretty to look at, but isn't it time that Scrivener did something more than show me a pen and book, four icons and some words I can't read?

I didn't mind paying $39 for this functionality—and maybe there are a few more features of which I'd be able to avail myself were I able to read the words—but I can't help feeling there's some untapped potential here. Don't you agree? Don't you all agree? I'm keen to hear your thoughts. And by that I mean that I'm keen to read your minds, eavesdropping on all your most scandalous notions.

Which brings me to my second recommendation for Scrivener: mind-reading, but I'll save it for another post.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:47 am Post

Heh heh... Er, I think that is the best feature request I've had yet. I'll see what I can do - obviously I cannot promise anything. Hmm, let's see... You want it to be able to create text... To edit the text too. Something to do with "text" and "editor"... Hmm, wonder if I can come up with a name for that...

As for the release date - yes, I'll be more specific in the months (or years) leading up to it.

Wait, were those questions ironic too? My irony detector may be off as I've only had two cups of coffee so far this morning...

All the best,
Keith

Sa
Sam

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:53 am Post

[quote="KB"]Wait, were those questions ironic too? My irony detector may be off as I've only had two cups of coffee so far this morning...[/quote]

Indeed. Please refer to your previous post.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:55 am Post

Dammit, you expect me to remember what I wrote last week?