The status of the next update and 2.0

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:16 pm Post

[quote="Wock"]Me and Jaysen soaked his wooden leg in a broth full of anti-depressants and mood enhancers.[/quote]
AKA Absinthe and 'shine.

We usually supply it to him as jello shots, but this time extreme measures were needed.

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:09 pm Post

[quote="janra"]vic - I'm not used to seeing you play the straight man role![/quote]
Dearest janra,+ the miscreant riffraffery,
One hesitates to engage at length with Flex (nothing personal of course), since Currency Exchange Rates, per se, are somewhat off-topic, and as you are all aware (or should be), I abhor off-topicking, with a force of conviction, best described, as, 'frightening'.☹

Also, one hesitates to snigger/chuckle to oneself, when one imagines Flex`s reaction when the realisation sets in, that 2.0 costs 15 Euros, as opposed to 4, "Heilige kuh!!" or words to that effect (of course it`s a steal at 15☺init!).

I have to say, sweet janra, that this straight man crap, does take its toll. It`s wearying. It`s enough to drive one to drink! But! There again, that`s no bad thing.
Do take care
Vic

fi
fingers_mcginty

Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:14 am Post

Outrageous! Unheard of! In the sorry history of upgrades and upgrade pricing, this has to be...a bargain. If you want twenty bucks from me for all your hard work, you've got it. Can't wait. Can't hold out much longer. Losing...oxygen...everythings turning brown...must...have...it...

Michael Cox
Vancouver

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:30 am Post

[quote="fingers_mcginty"]Can't wait. Can't hold out much longer. Losing...oxygen...everythings turning brown...must...have...it...[/quote]

That sounds frighteningly like my wife, when she`s undergoing Retail Therapy!

4m
4miler

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:32 pm Post

Hi Keith, no problem about paying for the 2.0 upgrade (assuming there's a discount for existing users).

Just one request: This Spring, I'm taking a sabbatical to focus on writing the book that'll define my lifetime achievement. Any chance of Scrivener 2.0 coming out before then so I can use it to write my masterpiece? Please :-)

If not, are you posting beta's of version 2.0 by this Spring? (I use Leopard)

Ma
Maelduin

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:19 am Post

I'm loving Scrivener more and more. I've just transferred my 'home' file to it - the file where I keep records of large bills, work done on the house, big purchases, etc.

And in journalistic pieces, I now have a 'project' for each employer, in which I can keep records of the price agreed, word count and deadline - and note when i get paid - in the same place that I have the articles I write. So handy.

to
tomappleton

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:43 pm Post

i bought scrivener less than a year ago and found i could not work with it. so left it sitting dormant on my desktop. i'm somehow bored with it and its features.

i was somehow attracted by the idea of having a cork board where i could just slap all sorts of junk onto little bits of "paper" and then hopefully sweep them all together into a clean looking page or at least a page i could clean up in one fell swoop.

somehow i can't seem to figure out how to make the thing do what i want it to do and so i have felt sorely tempted -- feeling frustrated -- to just dump the whole kaboodle.

in fact, i might just go back to actually buying a large thing i can nail to my wall and pin bits of paper on it.

so i guess you're doing a good job updating this thing, but i won't probably go for it, also because i usually work on about a dozen different manuscripts at the same time and iM worried that this whole system might collapse and either confuse the MS or else wipe them accidentally.

like most writers, i just use the computer like a typewriter and anything that's too complicated is liable to go get me unduly confused. and i hate not being able to find my own stuff or not being able to switch this bloody thing on, because i seem to have installed scrivener in about three different versions already and i'm not sure which one to wipe in case i eliminate half a year's work along with it.

so, don't try to amuse me with news of updates -- just provide a really moron.proof "turorial" on this site.

Wock

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:58 pm Post

[quote="tomappleton"]so, don't try to amuse me with news of updates -- just provide a really moron.proof "turorial" on this site.[/quote]

The tutorial that came with SCR was good at getting one started. As to having three versions and not sure which one to delete (Application). The Project FILES are independent of the application. Find your project files and save those somewhere safe and you can remove the actual copies of the application with ease without deleting work.

It sounds to me like what would benefit you is a beginners book on the actual OS that could easily explain files, folders, directories, etc and how they work in tandem. This may give you a better understanding and clear up some of the confusion you may experience. It also may help with a better understanding of how your files and applications work and may benefit you in enjoying software you have already purchased or utilize them more efficiently.

sc
scherbert

Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:39 pm Post

Haven't logged into the forums in a long time -- I've been very hard at work on my novel which would not be nearly this far along (almost done!) if it weren't for Scrivener. It's a marvelous program and I've spread the word to many writers. Charge away for 2.0 and if you put a paypal "donate now" button on the forums site I'd hit that too on days I found my problems solved; the articulate, prompt feedback found here is a huge part of the Scrivener package.

Keep up the fabulous work.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:24 pm Post

Thanks for all the kind words.

Tom - I certainly never claimed Scrivener was for everyone, as everyone works in different ways (it says as much on my site, which is why there are links to alternatives. As for a foolproof tutorial, I'm not really sure what more I can do on that score. There is a tutorial video on the main Scrivener product page which gives a walkthrough of using all the main features; there is an interactive tutorial that comes with the program (Help > Tutorial) which goes through the main features and gets you using the program at the same time; and there is a comprehensive Help file.

All the best,
Keith

PJ
PJS

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:33 pm Post

Somehow, I am reluctant to continue reading -- or to take seriously -- material posted by a person who seems indifferent to, or unfamiliar with, the SHIFT key. But that's the old-fashioned sit-at-your-desk-and-write-it-by-hand me, who's disturbed (and perhaps threatened) by attacks on grammar and syntax so common in ordinary discourse today. Are they caused by the speed (instancy? immediacy?) of texting and e-mails, or merely enabled thereby? Or are the Internet and its spawn victims as well, all of us riding down the road to rhetorical perdition as guests of an in-your-face, reality-show, instant-gratification society?

Or it could be that I need to think my metaphors through more carefully. Saturday morning and my back aches and my head aches and there was nothing last night that...

Oh, wait a minute. I think...

Never mind.

ps

Wock

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:34 am Post

Hey PJ,

I LEARNED ON THE INTRENETS THAT TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR KEWL!

IM IN YOUR INTERNETS BUTCHERING THE KEYBAROD

YARRRGHHH

:-)

I like your metaphors but I am hesitant to ask about Saturday night.....

Lord Lightning

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:20 pm Post

Keith, not sure if this should go here, but this is a very useful bit of market intelligence on product pricing. It is worth a read.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/02/20/app ... ed-models/

:-)

4m
4miler

Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:23 am Post

Hi Keith

When are version 2 public Beta's likely to be available?

Regarding risks in using Beta's, is it mostly that the program could crash -- or is there a risk of data files being irreparably corrupted? If the former, that's fine, but if the latter, I might stay away from the Beta for my professional work.

ed
editorbob

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 pm Post

Good Grief! This is the spiffiest little app I've run across in ages, and it's already proved itself invaluable to me. Stop apologizing for asking a bargain price for such excellent work! Although I'm not looking forward to relearning all those menus and things I'm finally getting memorized in v. 1.11, I eagerly await your v. 2.0 enhancements and am happy to pay your more than fair upgrade price.