The status of the next update and 2.0

Accordion Noir
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:07 am Post

Thanks for your reply Keith. I just "compiled" and sent off the little article I was using to test Scrivener, and I'm buying. I'll look forward to the upgrade when it comes. (Probably right when I've figured out how to use the stuff in this version!)

Nice work.

xiamenese

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:44 am Post

[quote="Accordion Noir"]Thanks for your reply Keith. I just "compiled" and sent off the little article I was using to test Scrivener, and I'm buying. I'll look forward to the upgrade when it comes. (Probably right when I've figured out how to use the stuff in this version!)

Nice work.[/quote]
Accordion Noir, if you haven't done so yet, do remember that Keith is a really nice guy and "30 days trial" actually means 30 days on which you start up Scrivener, not thirty calendar days.

That said, what it costs now is a steal, and even with the $20 for the update, that'll still be to undervalue it in relation to what is charged for most software which doesn't even approach Scrivener's level of function and quality.

:-)

Mark

Wock

Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:49 am Post

[attachment=0]scr20.png[/attachment]
Attachments
scr20.png
scr20.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

Ie
Ienissei

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:20 am Post

I have not read the in-between posts, but given that I use Scrivener for almost everything… I will most likely go for the paid update (or wait for a while and then give up to the brand new features).

Two years indeed seem a reasonable interval between paid upgrades, and I think that the absence of upgrades in-between is in a sense very positive, because it shows that unlike many 1.x releases, Scrivener was not packed with bugs of all kinds.

However, as a user I also like it when there are minor upgrades, even if they only change one or two things, not because they are free, but because they show that the project is still running and well alive. Besides, if there is a huge release, the user is overwhelmed with changes, and does not necessarily appreciate them as much.

You mention ebooks in the original post, and I am not sure what is exactly meant by this in terms of improvements, but I would say that with the current version, as soon as my library gets beyond a few hundreds, the project takes way too long to load and close, causing me to (ab)use of the Force Quit function. Are there improvements on this part?

MarcustheBlacksmith

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:30 am Post

I could do the concerned voter thing and whine about backflipping, but really, I see it like this:

I spent $40 US 2 years ago on a piece of software that I've used daily since. I've written fifteen short stories and three drafts of a novel (which is still nowhere near 'good enough' but that's my problem, not Scrivener's :-P ), all on that original $40 investment.

Scrivener was the whole reason I switched to Mac, and given that I'm probably going to upgrade to a fancy new 17" unibody MBP shortly, a tiny $20 upgrade to my favourite and most heavily used piece of software is pretty much impossible to complain about.

I think in truth the only thing I've ever been worried about was the Scriv was becoming abandonware. I'd HATE to have to go back to Word or switch to something like Ulysses (nice as it is) if Snow Leopard or the like broke something. The interim release will likely assuage a lot of those fears :-)

Ma
Maelduin

Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:52 am Post

How much will it be to buy new?

And if you've bought it very recently, will the upgrade be free or cheaper?

I'm happy to pay $20 for an upgrade, if that's what you're charging - I like the app a lot and use it all the time now. But I've just recommended it to a friend who isn't earning much, and would hate for him to come back and say "I just bought it and now they want $20 more for an upgrade!!!"

ma
matt

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:27 pm Post

Keith has mentioned this above, but it is a long thread.

People who purchase in the last 3 months before version 2.0 is released will get the upgrade for free. However, he is not certain when version 2.0 will be ready, to know whether current purchasers will have to pay or not.

I would suggest your friend downloads it now and uses it as the trial version. You get 30 days of actual use - so 30 days if you use it every day, but 60 days if you average using it only every second day, etc. So this might mean he could download it now, wait for his 30 days to expire before buying, and he might have a better chance of being within the 3 month window.

Matt

Sc
Scottgh

Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:57 pm Post

I too eagerly look forward to 2.0 and will be glad to pay the $20 to upgrade.

Ok, you've received enough affirmation. Now, get to work!! ;-)

ve
veshman

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:26 pm Post

KB,

Just wanted to add my vote that I have no problem paying for a 2.0 upgrade. I don't even use Scrivener that much anymore, but I'll still upgrade. It's a great program. Go all out and give us a new kick-ass version!

Bhavesh

je
jebni

Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:47 am Post

Keith, will 2.0 and 1.5 be file compatible? I'm stuck on Tiger at the office for the foreseeable future (damn the IT gods), but would want to get 2.0 for home when it arrives. When that happens, will I still be able to share files between versions?

ma
matt

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:59 am Post

I don't think the files will be backward compatible.

But 2.0 will be Tiger compatible, so you can update both anyway.

Ma
Matias

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:20 pm Post

I'll be glad to pay $20 for upgrade...

ea
eae

Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:56 pm Post

I've just bought Scrivener after using the free trial. I'm a novelist, with my twentieth novel published next month. I CAN'T BELIEVE what a wonderful program this is, and I don't know how I could have managed my current book, which is very complex, without Scrivener. I'll sing its praises to every fellow author I meet - except for the sorry souls who are stuck with Windows, of course - and I shall consider it a privilege to pay $20 for an upgrade - Scrivener has already earned its keep for me many times over just in the brief time I've been using it.

Wock

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:49 pm Post

I think Steve Jobs should give Team Keith (This includes Dave) Free 17 MacBook Pros.

Why?

Because in the writing industry I think Scrivener is the biggest reason people will switch to Mac.

Yarrrrghhhh

Biggest selling feature on a Mac.....

"So what can your Mac do that my PC can't?"

"Run Scrivener." :-)

mi
miles

Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:20 am Post

I would suggest the following policy:
Anybody that buys current version of Scrivener after the day of announcement of price upgrade for 2.0 (December 31, 2008), shall receive upgrade to 2.0 for free when available.

That way all speculation when 2.0 will be out, when or when not to buy the current version etc. would be obsolete. Also, that way the development team would have a financial carrot above their head - the longer they code, the more free upgrades they will have to give for grabs.

Anyway, I am just deciding to buy it and don't know, whether I should bite the bullet now or at some later date. But the demo is impressive and I look forward to 2.0.

Thanks for reading.