iOS Update

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:49 am Post

Thanks for the suggestions.
I should have made clear that I've tried both the Apple wireless keyboard
And the Logitech K60 wireless solar
What I want is the cover type so that iPad/keyboard fold up like a small laptop.
And I no longer have to use the awful virtual keyboard in iOS
Which hides the apostrophe on some lower third level.

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:48 am Post

What do you mean by the apostrophe being hidden on a third level...it is on the first level, though accessed by a long hold.

I do use an Apple wireless keyboard at times, though it isn't a neat fold-up and carry solution.

As an alternative, iA Writer offers a writer-friendly virtual keyboard.

[attachment=0]IMG_1243.PNG[/attachment]

Bd
Bdillahu

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:16 pm Post

I know it isn't the fold-up case requested, but wanted to throw this out, as I've been very pleased with it:

http://goincase.com/shop/incase-origami ... for-ipad-2

You snap in your Apple Bluetooth keyboard and the case folds up to cover it. When you unfold it, you can prop up your ipad (or whatever) on the case and type away. Doesn't work well on a lap, but if you have a desk/table it's great, and for times that I just want the iPad, I just don't bring the keyboard.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:27 pm Post

Not sure if this still works but you could try using a regular PC keyboard with your ipad and then just get a regular case.

http://lotsofstudyalittletech.blogspot. ... board.html

Mi
MichaelRoth69
Platform: Windows

Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:27 pm Post

>A colleague uses the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad and I confess some serious keyboard >envy. The only problem I could see is minimal protection for the iPad itself, but some reviewers I >checked last week demonstrated the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover used in combination with a thin iPad case >(search on YouTube for examples).

I have the very thin Zagg keyboard (a lot like the Logitech clamshell above) which can either go into a case or come out. Most of my iPad use isn't dependent on a keyboard so I just put it in the small messenger bag I use for the iPad and it's there when I need it but doesn't interfere with my nearly indestructible Otterbox.

My OTHER favorite keyboard is the Matias Folding (bluetooth) Keyboard (Amazon US). When it's folded it's just a little wider than the iPad is tall, so it goes in the bag. Unfolded, it's the size of a regular desktop keyboard so I can have my typing speed back. Those little chicklet keyboards slow me down. :) The only drawback is that it's not rechargable. You have to just change the batteries. AAA I think. But I haven't had to change them yet so they last a while.

Part of my distraction-free writing time is at Starbucks, since I get no peace at home. Portable is everything, which is why I followed this thread.... anxiously anticipating the release of Scrivener iOS.
Last edited by MichaelRoth69 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr
druid

Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:47 pm Post

Thanks, Michael, for your recommendation.
I'm going to try the Logitech Ultrathin,
Offered at Amazon for $73.
Reviews there are enthusiastic,
And I believe this is the model
I saw in use at an airport recently.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
We now return to the real topic of this thread,
Whining about when the iOS version will appear! ;-)

Go
Gordon Robb
Platform: Windows

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:46 am Post

I use the Apple keyboard as not only is it a great keyboard, but it means if I'm not useing it, I don't have the bulk of a keyboard added to my ipad.

Anyway, getting back to the subject of the thread, is there any update on the likelihood of this app being ready for NaNoWriMo this year? and Also, is it planned that it will work just as well with the Windows version of Scrivener as the Mac?

is
istara

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:46 am Post

The Logitech Ultrathin is so great that when mine got wrecked by a water spill I rushed straight out and bought another one (now kept well away from small clumsy fingers!)

It really turned my iPad into a laptop replacement. Along with Scrivener and Textilus, it was the perfect portable novel writing set up.

ptram

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:46 pm Post

[quote="Briar Kit"] What do you mean by the apostrophe being hidden on a third level...it is on the first level, though accessed by a long hold.[/quote]

There is an even quicker way to type an apostrophe: swipe your finger up over the comma key, and here is the apostrophe.

You can do the same over the period key, and you have double quotes.

Paolo

dr
druid

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 pm Post

Thanks for the corrections; I never learned that v-keyboard very well.
Now I am using the Logitech Ultrathin and Textilus, and loovin' it.
As we say outside the RL in Stockpond, UK. ;-)

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:47 am Post

[quote="druid"]Thanks for the corrections; I never learned that v-keyboard very well.
Now I am using the Logitech Ultrathin and Textilus, and loovin' it.
As we say outside the RL in Stockpond, UK. ;-)[/quote]

I thought it would suit, glad you like it.

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 am Post

[quote="ptram"]There is an even quicker way to type an apostrophe: swipe your finger up over the comma key, and here is the apostrophe.

You can do the same over the period key, and you have double quotes.[/quote]

Oh my, a shortcut I didn't know! Cool!!

ma
marcoiac

Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:04 am Post

Judging from the number of posts here, the Logitech Ultrathin must be a best seller. I don't have a bluetooth keyboard yet (I actually kind of like tapping on glass, although it is evidently less efficient than using a keyboard), so it's hard to say anything meaningful, but at least on 'paper' this ClamCase thing looks like the thing I may want to use

http://is.gd/7P6v5h

I just ordered one. We'll see how it goes.

Br
Briar Kit

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:47 am Post

Several iPad keys have extra options if you hold or swipe them.

The - key gives - — and •

The . gives …

The ? gives ¿

The ! gives ¡

The ' gives ` ’ ‘

The " gives « „ ” “ »

The . ? gives "

The . gives …

The £ gives ₩ € $ ¢ ¥

The & gives §

The % gives ‰

Ma
Maria Gardner

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:39 pm Post

Hi,

Is the iOS version of Scrivener really going to require iOS 7? My iPod touch (fourth generation) will be left out of the iOS 7 update (as far as I know), and I really don't want to miss out on the iOS version of Scrivener.

Thanks,
Maria